If you really know your reefer, the state of Washington may have a consulting job for you.
The Washington State Liquor Control Board is seeking proposals for a consultant to assist with the implementation of the legalized recreational marijuana system enacted by voters with Initiative 502 in the November 2012 General Elections.
The deadline for submissions from prospective marijuana consultants is February 15, and the state must have a system in place to implement the initiative by December, according to the WLCB website.
Voters in Washington and Colorado have now approved the use of recreational marijuana.
The vote in Washington meant that after Dec. 6, adults 21 and older could possess an ounce of marijuana. The state also approved a “drugged driving” law, which also kicked in on that day to address drivers operating vehicles while impaired by marijuana.
The legalization, regulation and taxation of marijuana in Washington will bring in $1.9 billion in new revenue over five years, the state projects. But observers say the Department of Justice may soon attempt to block full implementation of the new pot laws.
State officials have set a timeline for having a system in place by the end of this year to fully enact the new law, including establishing standards and setting up the infrastructure for retail regulation.
A Request for Proposals, posted on a Washington state website, gives requirements for the pot expert that go beyond the ability to inhale.
First, the consultant must have product and industry knowledge including how marijuana is grown, cultivated, harvested, cured and processed. The consultant must also know how:
- Marijuana is infused into food and beverages.
- Marijuana should be packaged, labeled, transported and sold at a retail level.
- Wholesale and retail product should be recalled and accounted for.
- Marijuana should be destroyed if over-produced, contaminated or recalled.
There are a few other specific requirements for the marijuana consultant. He or she must have expertise in estimating product usage and consumption, have knowledge of the “infrastructure to test marijuana to ensure product quality, content, ingredients and consumer safety considerations and have a strong understanding of state, local or federal government processes and procedures.
Board spokesman Mikhail Carpenter told CNN: “Ideally, we would like one person who has all those characteristics.” A person with a criminal record would not be immediately disqualified from consideration for the contract, John Farley, procurement director with the Liquor Control Board, said in an article published on Politico.com. A pot conviction is probably fine, Farley said.
The state would prefer awarding a single contract, but Farley said the final contract may go to a team of people with expertise in each of areas needed to do the job.
About 100 people turned out last week at the Greater Tacoma Convention and Trade Center for an information session on submitting proposals, according to an article published by The News Tribune.
Terry Dean Schmidt, president of Management Concepts International of Seattle, told The News Tribune the he expects to bid for the overall contract.
“We’re going to be competitive,” Schmidt said, adding that he expects 50 people or groups to apply.
“If the state gets it right, just right, there will be worldwide acclaim,” he said. “If they get wrong, they’re a joke in Jay Leno’s monologue.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31