A St. Louis Applebee waitress, Chelsea Welch (pictured above), was canned Wednesday, after uploading a picture on Reddit of the dining receipt from pastor Alois Bell (pictured below) who refused to tip and instead scribbled on the bill, “I give God 10 percent why should you get 18,” according to the Smoking Gun.
The January 25th incident took place after an unidentified waitress was assigned as the server for a large party of five adults and five children, which reportedly included Pastor Alois Bell (pictured below), a minister at a fledgling church, Truth in the World Deliverance Ministries.
When Bell was given the dinner tab, she noticed that an 18 percent gratuity had been added, which is customary for the restaurant chain when there are parties greater than six. The 37-year-old pastor crossed out the automatic tip on the receipt and wrote in a “0″ with a slash through it along with the aforementioned religious message (pictured below).
Watch news coverage of the receipt incident here:
After Bell’s server vetted the receipt, she showed it to Welch, who then took a picture of the receipt and uploaded it social media site Reddit’s atheist section as a “lighthearted joke.” Welch explained her actions to Consumerist.com, “I thought the note was insulting, but it was also comical. I posted it to Reddit because I thought other users would find it entertaining.”
Even though Welch saw humor in what Bell had written, the Mother of three did not find the waitress’ actions very funny. When Bell got wind, via a friend, that Welch’s antics involved making the receipt go viral, she took her concerns to Applebee’s management.
Applebee confirms that Welch was let go and released a statement regarding the incident:
Our Guests’ personal information – including their meal check – is private, and neither Applebee’s nor its franchisees have a right to share this information publicly. We value our Guests’ trust above all else. Our franchisee has apologized to the Guest and has taken disciplinary action with the Team Member for violating their Guest’s right to privacy. This individual is no longer employed by the franchisee.
Bell told the Smoking Gun she is sorry about the incident that took place at the eatery and points out she left a tip of $6.29 cash on the table. “My heart is really broken,” she told the online site. “I’ve brought embarrassment to my church and my ministry.”
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.