Diabetes is the fifth leading cause of death in the U.S. and is the fastest growing disease in the country.
In the African American community, the statistics are especially dire.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 3.7 million black Americans are affected by diabetes. Nearly 40 percent of black children have contributing factors to diabetes, including being overweight or obese, and black Americans are more likely to suffer from diabetes-related complications, including kidney disease .
Victoza, an injectable diabetes treatment, has been found to help patients reduce and maintain blood sugar at a medically ideal level, while gastric bypass surgery has had great effect in lowering Type 2 diabetes.
But many doctors said that good nutrition and exercise are important for prevention and some doctors say good old-fashioned dietary changes and exercise can’t be beat for achieving weight loss and keeping diabetes at bay.
Dr. John O. Agwunobi, senior vice president and president of health and wellness for Walmart US, oversees the company’s health and wellness business unit, including pharmacies, OTC and vision centers.
He has helped the retailing giant craft a plan with, a health insurance firm, to offer a line of foods and provide cost savings to consumers as an incentive to eat healthier and meet their wellness goals.
Walmart recently launched an effort to save diabetes patients in the U.S. up to $60 million annually with an exclusive line of diabetes products, including blood glucose meters and test strips.
HumanaVitality members who shop at Walmart became eligible for 5 percent savings on products that qualify under Walmart's Great For You icon, including fresh fruit, vegetables and low-fat dairy items. The program rewards members for making healthy choices and achieving wellness goals.
"Price is an important factor in incentivizing wellness in America. By offering affordable, healthier foods, we will help make our customers healthier and reduce costs to our healthcare system as a whole. This represents preventative care in its purest form," Agwunobi told Chain Drug Review, a drug store industry publication.
“We want to be our customers' wellness destination — the retailer that provides them with affordable ways to fight for their health."
The American Diabetes Association recommends that people who take insulin to treat their diabetes test their blood glucose levels a minimum of three times per day to appropriately manage the disease. Many people on oral medications also can also test their blood glucose. This can result in high out-of-pocket costs.
The association also encourages Americans to schedule regular checkups with their doctors and dentists to make sure they are staying on top of the disease.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25