Got questions about the gluten-free diet? Text them to “646464” (OHOHOH).
Many of us deal with abdominal pain, bloating or gas after eating a heavy meal, especially a meal loaded with bread and figure that it just comes with the territory.
Some folks, though, have gluten intolerance, a condition in which people have a reaction to gluten proteins contained in certain foods. The term first gained currency when some researchers suggested that making changes in the diet, especially eliminating gluten, might help children with Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
Now sensitivity to gluten has been linked to other problems, including joint pain, indigestion and the aggravation of diabestes, rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn’s disease, celiac disease, weight gain, skin rashes, acne, eczema, chronic yeast infections, chronic fatigue, anxiety, depression, early aging, autism and dementia.
About 18 million Americans are affected by gluten sensitivity and another 3 million have celiac disease, a chronic digestive disorder. Symptoms include constipation, diarrhea, abdominal cramping and severe weight loss. A blood test, followed by a biopsy of the lining of the small intestines, can confirm a diagnosis of celiac disease.
Doctors Keevin and Denise Davis, co-hosts of the national award winning television program, “Doctors in the Kitchen,” focus on healthy home cooking. They educate, encourage, and empower people to obtain the best health possible by increasing their knowledge of proper food selection, preparation, and consumption in conjunction with environmentally friendly and sustainable lifestyle choices.
The Davises tell their patients that with a little planning, creativity and some dietary changes, gluten sensitivity can be managed.
First, those determined to have gluten sensitivity should eliminate foods containing wheat, barley, rye, spelt, kamut, malt, bulgar, triticale, farina, seminola, dorum and certain oats. Read labels carefully, too, because there may be hidden gluten in yogurts, soy sauce, toothpaste, mouthwash and dextran additives.
In recipes, wheat flour can be replaced with a variety of other flours, including corn, potato, rice, tapioca, millet, quinoa, soy buckwheat, flaxseed and chia seed.
And you don’t have to give up flavor when making your favorite breads, cookies, pasta, muffins, rolls, pie and pizza crusts.
The doctors recommend you prepare your own food and bring your own food or condiments to work or social outings.
They also suggest your diet go heavy on fruits, vegetables, gluten-free foods and water. Exercise an hour each day and try a variety of activities, get plenty of rest, get regular medical and dental checkups, do your best to keep your life stress-free and live with a smile and a lot of gratitude.
Click here for answers to your healthy diet questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31