Got a question for doctor regarding lupus? Text your questions to '646464' (OHOHOH).
The stresses of today can be enough to drain you. Exhaustion is very common among women as we wear many different hats. But extreme fatigue, as well as other symptoms, may be a sign of a serious health problem. Lupus is a disease in which the body attacks its own healthy tissues and organs. It can damage the joints, skin, kidneys, and other parts of the body. No one knows for sure what causes lupus. But some groups of people have higher rates of lupus. African-American women are three times more likely to get lupus than white women. African-American women tend to develop lupus at a younger age and have more severe symptoms than white women.
The signs of lupus differ from person to person. Some people have just a few signs, while others have more. Common symptoms include:
* Joint pain and stiffness, with or without swelling
* Muscle aches and pains
* Fever with no known cause
* Feeling very tired
* Skin rashes
* Anemia (uh-NEE-me-uh)
* Trouble thinking, memory problems, confusion
* Kidney problems with no known cause
* Chest pain when taking a deep breath
* Butterfly-shaped rash across the nose and cheeks
* Sun or light sensitivity
* Hair loss