Tisha Campbell-Martin claims she suffered years of abuse at the hands of her estranged husband, Duane Martin, but says she kept quiet about it in order to protect him and their children.

According to the court docs obtained by The Blast, Duane started physically, emotionally and mentally abusing Tisha at the start of their marriage in 1996. She hit up the court on January 24 to file for a domestic violence restraining order, claiming the most recent abuse happened this past December, when he allegedly “grabbed me by my arm to try to get me in the bedroom,” after claiming their son was sick.

In the affidavit, Tisha alleges, “I had been emotionally, mentally and physically abused. I kept things hidden from my family his family our friends and the public, save a few very close friends and people who may have witnessed, over the past two decades, filing it away in the back of my mind to protect my family, the community and the pubic’s persona of my spouse.”

The ‘Martin” actress now admits she’s “scared,” and says she owes it to her children to speak her truth.

“I can no longer live in fear of retaliation,” she said. “The need to press criminal charges for his acts overshadows the embarrassment of making his crimes against me public through this report.”

Per The Blast:

Tisha filed a police report on January 12 with LAPD, and claimed Martin attacked her after arguing over money in the past. Tisha told police she “had trouble breathing,” when Martin allegedly pinned her against a wall and put an arm on her throat. It’s unclear when the alleged assault occurred, but it does not appear Duane has been arrested over the allegations.

In another alleged incident, Tisha claims Duane scrutinized her weight by claiming she couldn’t get acting roles. “She’s not Sherri Shepard or Kim Whitley,” Duane allegedly said, adding, “those girls know how to book for fat girls. Tisha can’t compete with them for those roles because she was never a big girl.”

isha says the fight over her weight ended with Duane punching her “with a closed fist” in the chest.

As we previously reported, Tisha and Duane are in the midst of a bitter bankruptcy and divorce and she accuses him of hiding assets and trying to run a smear campaign against her.

Meanwhile, according to The Blast report, the restraining order was granted and Duane must stay 100 yards away from Tisha until their hearing in February. The children were not included in the order.

We Tried To Make It Work: Divorced Celebs

HEAD BACK TO THE BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM HOMEPAGE

21 thoughts on “Tisha Campbell-Martin Claims Duane Martin ‘Emotionally, Mentally And Physically Abused Me’

1. well said.
    ᴍʏ ʟᴀsᴛ ᴍᴏɴᴛʜ ᴘᴀʏᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ᴡᴀs ғᴏʀ 𝟷𝟷𝟶𝟶𝟶 ᴅᴏʟʟᴀʀs… ᴀʟʟ ɪ ᴅɪᴅ ᴡᴀs sɪᴍᴘʟᴇ ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴡᴏʀᴋ ғʀᴏᴍ ᴄᴏᴍғᴏʀᴛ ᴀᴛ ʜᴏᴍᴇ ғᴏʀ 𝟹-𝟺 ʜᴏᴜʀs/ᴅᴀʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪ ɢᴏᴛ ғʀᴏᴍ ᴛʜɪs ᴀɢᴇɴᴄʏ ɪ ᴅɪsᴄᴏᴠᴇʀᴇᴅ ᴏᴠᴇʀ ᴛʜᴇ ɪɴᴛᴇʀɴᴇᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴘᴀɪᴅ ᴍᴇ ғᴏʀ ɪᴛ 𝟿𝟻 ʙᴜᴄᴋs ᴇᴠᴇʀʏ ʜᴏᴜʀ… ᴛʀʏ ɪᴛ ʏᴏᴜʀsᴇʟғ . Read More

2. martin collins on said:

When is this crap going to end? I’m glad she’s exposing another ‘tough guy’ it and having the guts to drop his as*

3. So what he had some little tv show? He’s a nobody, and a straight up pnnk for abusing his wife and now thd roaches are coming out the walls to defend him. They don’t know a damn thing about him.

Thinks he can use attitude for talent. Didn’t work for him.

Shame on all of you saying it couldn’t have been that bad and she was weak to stay.

• Robbin on said:

I agree with you regarding ppl being judgmental. people stay in abusive relationships all the time it’s a process, apparently all the ppl who have negative things to say about Tisha must don;t know or never been in that type of relationship. Just google it will tell you everything about abuse and why ppl stay and when they decide to leave. Instead of saying that about her pray for her .ijs

4. S. Bland on said:

It’s sad how judgmental some of you are. Money doesn’t fix everything. Men can still be abusers despite how rich or successful they are and the same goes for victims. She stated the reason why she didn’t speak up before now and all some of you can speak on is what YOU would or wouldn’t have put up with. There is no textbook answer to what victims look like or how they respond to abuse.

5. Chastity on said:

First, I will say that if she did experience abuse during her marriage, my heart goes out to her. With that being said, I have to say that it is hard to believe her. I have seen her on many things, talking about how great her marriage was. Maybe she did hide it to save images. But, I do not like it how now she wants to claim he was a monster now that they are divorcing. Another reason that it is difficult to believe her allegations is because she lied on Martin Lawrence.

• Robbin Pope on said:

Just because she said how great he was, doesn’t mean the abuse wasn’t happening. Some ppl worry more about what the public think thank they should. I was sadden by their break up and I hope she gets the help she needs. If his ass hiding funds he should be a shame of himself. He still has kids that need to be taken care of.

• Have to agree as this sounds like the allegations she made against Martin. Would like to hear both Martin’s and her husband’s side of the story.

6. Well first it’s not about you ..so weather you agree or disagree is no a factor…and until you or anyone else that are making comments of what …how…why..should have..and would not…I Pray you never have to experience Domestic Violence..Its indeed a place where a woman feels hopeless…scared..decrated.and lonely…Black woman are killed more than whites and Hispanics in a domestic violence situation..So before you speak attend a class..read a book…and try not to judge…no woman marry or involved in a relationship coming in saying Damm I what my ass beat…I want to be called out of my name…throwing me out if a car..and yes raping me when he what’s…I made it out so now I speak up and speak out for the woman that need a voice…a friend..without judgement.

7. What is it they say….If you can’t say something nice don’t say anything at all. I was about to say who stays in a physical abuse situation for 20’s years……a weak weak weak person. Sorry….many people take mental abuse…..but physical….H to the nah!

• D unfortunately we are in the age of judging. Staying in a physical plus emotional plus mental challenged relationship is someone who is weak. I can understand perhaps staying in an emotional situation; but sorry but no staying in a physical situation. Y should she have felt strapped? She was a quote unquote actor and should have pursued acting assignments (and she probably did) and moved on with her life early on.

8. Funny, how Ms. Campbell chose to stay with Duane in the marriage for over twenty yrs.
    She must have LIKED the abuse she was receiving.

Personally, I have no SYMPATHY for ANY WOMAN who REMAINS in an ABUSIVE relationship or marriage.

WOMEN OF COLOR need to love OURSELVES enuff NOT TO ALLOW THIS to happen!!!!!!!!!!!

• NaturallySonja on said:

Please don’t blame this woman for her past actions. She is doing what she needs to do now. Don’t condemn her. We do need to love ourselves but we also need to love and support each other. That goes both ways. Stay supportive.

As if any woman likes abuse. Please! Do better!

• L: I don’t have any empathy for her either. Sounds tough…..but she stayed too long. As for her liking the abuse; I seriously doubt it. All women should love themselves….not just women of color

• Well first it’s not about you ..so weather you agree or disagree is no a factor…and until you or anyone else that are making comments of what …how…why..should have..and would not…I Pray you never have to experience Domestic Violence..Its indeed a place where a woman feels hopeless…scared..decrated.and lonely…Black woman are killed more than whites and Hispanics in a domestic violence situation..So before you speak attend a class..read a book…and try not to judge…no woman marry or involved in a relationship coming in saying Damm I what my ass beat…I want to be called out of my name…throwing me out if a car..and yes raping me when he what’s…I made it out so now I speak up and speak out for the woman that need a voice…a friend..without judgement.

• S. Bland on said:

Glad you got out! It’s so sad the way people are so quick to place blame on victims. It’s always been bad but seems much worse nowadays.

• Christianforreal on said:

I doubt that there was love for the abuse. I’m more inclined to believe that it is exaggerated more than anything. Maybe there was some name callings, some physical contact that was way too rough on a few occasions and maybe she was trying to protect him, but I do not believe it was as bad as she’s now trying to say it was. No woman stays in a marriage for that many years with that kind of abuse going on.