On the latest episode of her Facebook Watch series “Red Table Talk,” Jada Pinkett Smith’s mother, Adrienne Banfield-Jones, reveals that she questioned her daughter’s marriage to Will Smith after the couple announced that they are “life partners” instead of “husband” and “wife.”

“She was like, ‘Well, why don’t you guys just divorce?’” Jada said. “One of the ideas for me is that we’ve built such a beautiful community, we’ve built such a beautiful family… we do well together. Breaking that group and community up for me? It’s just never an option.”

The actress explained that she couldn’t handle the breaking up of her marriage.

“For me, personally, I’m not mature enough to have a divorce,” she said. “I’m just not. I don’t think I would ever be mature enough. When you have to start going in, breaking up assets … that’s when the red table turns upside down, and it won’t be red no more!”

Jada and Will have been married since ’97, and back in July, the actor explained why they are no longer down with the “married” label.

“We don’t even say we’re married anymore,” Will said. “We refer to ourselves as life partners, where you get into that space where you realize you are literally with somebody for the rest of your life. [There are] no deal breakers. There’s nothing she could do — ever — nothing that would break our relationship. She has my support till death and it feels so good to get to that space.”

#Throwback: Will & Jada Pinkett Smith Through The Years

HEAD BACK TO THE BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM HOMEPAGE

18 thoughts on “Jada Pinkett Smith’s Mother Questioned Why She And Will Smith Won’t Divorce

1. Fleta Wright on said:

I guess that to a point I understand, they want thier Children to see them together as a family forever but to a point I don’t understand because if they’re going out of he marriay seeing other people the Children also see and know that as well but weather I understand thier relationship or not it’s still Thier Relationship and if it works for them and thier family then I say, so be it, have A Nice Life!!!

2. Linda Bushell on said:

Do they believe that they’re pulling the wool over God’s eyes by staying together and calling themselves life partners instead of being a married couple? It’s still adultery no matter how they twist it! They are a crazy and weird family, and the children are taught that it’s cool to be that way. Crazy, Sexy NOT cool!

3. I totally understand what they are doing, it’s simple, if you get married, divorce should never be an option. All of you so called believers say your vows before God and once the marriage goes south there are lawyers willing to divide your Union for a nominal fee.

4. Life partners instead of married takes,the sting and guilt away when or each wants to do their own thing within the marriage. Works for tthem, cool!

5. I think its time to stop thinking of marriage as they did in the 50s. When two people decide to walk a path together the key is for them to be happy. Who cares if they’re wearing different shoes.

6. Annette on said:

Marriage is husband and wife.💜 Our heart beat as ONE!💜 So what R U saying to your children? I am speechless. If U R not into each other anymore, it is time for U to end. And find your NEW TRUE LOVE!!

• Evon McMurry on said:

When you say your vows ” until death do us part you necome a partner so what’s wrong with that.Love is unconditional so no matter what err we make forgiveness is the key and ic more couples quoting the vows of matrimony would take thst view then the divorce court would be out of business.

• Richard on said:

The problem is everyone has a opinion to what’s right for them . If this the path they have chosen and are happy with it. That’s it, I’m pretty sure the opinion of others wasn’t the question to be asked. Leave the judge to our Heavenly Father. If they are happy let it be . Basically I’m just telling y’all to get your own life,judge that . Divorce is never the answer. Til death do us part . Saying if you don’t get it . I got your back FOREVER.

7. Romona Janine Wafer on said:

To me it seems like an ever swelling self imposed prison. I think if there is immaturity in divorcing then there is definitely immaturity in their marriage. The one thing I will give this experiment is … That hopefully it gives each one of them the time in this space to mature. This is my prayer for them.

8. Judie Roberts on said:

To me, neither wants to be showed up as being the culprit. So they live in the same house and do as they please. Love each other, but not in love with each other.