Darren Martin Former Obama Staffer

In this world, being Black can get you in trouble for no reason especially for the craziest things like getting the cops called on you for going into your own apartment.

Darren Martin, a former staffer during the Obama presidency, was moving into his new apartment in the upper west side of New York when 6 police officers came up to him answering a call of a possible break-in, according to Blavity

Immediately Martin pulled his phone out and started an Instagram live stream. “I’m in my apartment but you know – you can’t go nowhere without the cops following me,” explained Martin in the stream.

Apparently, a neighbor called police accusing Martin of breaking into the apartment. However, they didn’t realize that Martin would be their new neighbor. According to Pix 11 News, Martin says that Friday was the only day that he could move in.

Martin worked for the Obama administration and was looking forward to moving back to New York. However, this was not the welcome back he was looking for.

“Somebody called the cops on me in my own building,” he told his followers. “About how many are Y’all? About six of Y’all showed up, rolled up on me.”

An officer in the video can be seen smirking as Martin continues to voice his frustration. Another officer turns the volume up on his radio so that a description of the call could be heard.

“Somebody was trying to break in the door” with “a possible weapon,” the dispatcher said. That weapon that dispatcher described was a key.

Martin described the whole ordeal as an effect of gentrification and institutionalized racism.

“As a black man when you’re in an all-white environment, you’re cognizant of that,” said Martin. “I have to say I found it kinda symbolic. (It’s) like, welcome to the neighborhood.”

Officers found nothing wrong at the scene and Martin proceeded to sign his lease for one year. He has no plans of leaving. “The broader message to everyone is get to know folks before you make these assumptions,” he said. “When you make that call there’s no turning back and it could have ended very differently.”

READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:

GET THE HOTTEST STORIES STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX:

(Source: Blavity)

(Photo Credit: Pix 11 News)

21 thoughts on “Former Obama Staffer Accused Of Breaking Into His Apartment

1. Christianforreal on said:

Just imagine when someone moves INTO a new abode. They typically bring things INto the place. Did anyone take the time to note if he opened the door with a key AND whether or not he was bringing things in or out?? Burglars and robbers also don’t usually go BACK and FORTH in a property that they are robbing!!!!

2. Back in 1993, I was moving from Avon Connecticut to Raleigh NC and need to rent a room for about 2-3 months! However, I realized that when I called potential landlords I need to ask if they had a problem renting to an African American! Most did and I’m glad I asked because I would have been pissed off after driving over 1,000 miles only to find out we rented to someone else!

3. jhuff on said:

OK so the neighbors didn’t know he was a new tenant what should they have done,, nothing there are plenty of neighbor hoods where people look away and mind there own business sadly they are black and some of the highest crime laden areas

• Phoenix Rising on said:

Hell no, they wouldn’t have called if he was white. They would have brought him a “welcome to the neighborhood” apple pie.

• Passing Through!! on said:

@JHUFF
      Bi**h GTFOH! If the caller took time enough to notice him I’m sure he watched him long enough to know wasn’t breaking in. If he didn’t see any tools or forced entry why would he think he was breaking in? Since that was his apartment he had a key entering and leaving lawfully, the brother wasn’t kicking in the door or picking the locks. Better why didn’t he/she introduce themselves to the knew black neighbor as opposed to assuming he was a criminal. This was done deliberately to deter this man from moving into the building.

4. Rune Graham on said:

They don’t want you there in there upscale palace, your not their kind of color you just worked for the best president, it does not give you the key to the city from their point of view. Moving on up and moved them out .. Its so sad society think they can judge, can’t wait for there judgment by God

5. Phoenix Rising on said:

In addition to charging people for making bogus calls just to inconvenience or harass people, the police should also retrain their dispatchers to get the CORRECT information BEFORE they send the SWAT team to a “little league baseball game”. (Sarcasm) I know the police are only going by what the dispatcher is telling them, and I also know the dispatcher is only going by what the caller is saying, but in times like this, it’s the dispatcher’s duty to do their due diligence so that innocent people don’t get shot due to misinformation. Dispatchers have been know to muck up a few calls costing people their lives. I’m wondering if the caller said the guy had a weapon (which turned out to be a key) or did the dispatcher just assume the guy had a weapon because Ms. Kravitz called to say someone was breaking into the apartment next door. In any event, he won’t need a security system since he already has a built in human system whether he wants it or not.

• Passing Through!! on said:

You’re right Phoenix, that’s how 12 year old Tamir Rice got killed the dispatcher failed to relay proper information that he was probably a kid with a toy gun. The police rolled up and assassinated him.

• Phoenix Rising on said:

Agreed! Everyone should be held accountable for relaying misinformation leading to the injury or death of someone by an over zealous or inexperienced cop, even the cop.

• Tiana Nonbasic on said:

I’m sure the police officers could see with their eyes that it was a child with a toy on a playground. They are not trained to shoot first but they do anyways when they see a Black person…

6. He’s lucky to be alive. I’m glad they didn’t mistake his phone for a gun. Dumb mofo. I wouldn’t live in that environment. He’ll probably continue to be profiled going forward. I’m sick of whitey.

7. When they start filing charges and leveling fines against these agitators for calling in bogus reports and wasting the city’s time, this nonsense will cease.

• Passing Through!! on said:

That’s what I said with the Starbucks incident. Why aren’t the callers fined for making false allegations.

• Tiana Nonbasic on said:

I can’t believe I agree with you @Kate1221 but yes I agree it is a crime to make a false report and these callers should be charged.

8. Tiana Nonbasic on said:

Maybe the fact that he is still alive and not in jail is showing that a change is happening. We just have to stay focused, keep posting/recording and discussing our outrage to the unjust situations that are happening still. Discussion brings change.

9. Tiana Nonbasic on said:

Yes, This brings to mind the Harvard Professor that was arrested for a break-in call at his own home in NY… He is very lucky to be alive.

10. Passing Through!! on said:

Yep, setting another unarmed brother up to get shot by the police. When you call 911 and say BLACK MALE!! You’ll get 3 carloads of police to respond within 5-7 min guns blazing. I think sometimes these white folks purposely call the cops to try and get some black person killed. I’m sure this brother had boxes, furniture and probably a key when the nosey ass racist called the cops on him. Whoever called probably watched him long enough to know he was moving in. He’s lucky to be alive but smart idea live streaming the incident and sometimes cameras don’t save us.