Annoyed Black Female portrait

An Instagram travel blogger is apologizing for calling a young African girl a monkey.

We just went through this.

A few days ago, Instagram personality Taylor Marie posted a picture of herself holding a young girl from Ghana. The caption almost immediately drew

A caption for the picture originally read, “Here’s me and the cutest little monkey I met in Ghana, Hannah. She always had me pick her up every time she saw me.”

Days later, after she had been informed of her huge transgression, Taylor took the offending post down. She replaced it with a post that featured the same picture and an apology.

The college student insisted that she didn’t mean to call the girl a racial slur. She attempted to explain what inspired her to label Hannah a monkey. Although she stated that she didn’t know this is offensive, she didn’t use her ignorance as a shield to the consequences she might face.

“I want to sincerely apologize with a broken heart – for the offense that a recent post on this subject has caused,” she wrote. “It was never my intention for my post to be negative – and those who know me, know that I don’t see any person that way. I was only referring to how the children loved to climb on me like little kids will do. I love her and all children, and was unaware of the history of this negative connotation until now, and I am deeply sorry for the misuse.”

She continued, “I would never have knowingly used any term or phrase in a derogatory way. My mistake was made from ignorance, not from negativity or bias. To anyone I may have offended, I can only hope that you can be forgiving.”

READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:

GET THE HOTTEST STORIES STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX:

(Photo Credit: ThinkStock Images)

White Woman Apologizes For Calling Black Child A Monkey On Instagram was originally published on hellobeautiful.com

Find Out What Your Favorite Celebs Did On Instagram (09/01-09/07)

30 thoughts on “White Woman Apologizes For Calling Black Child A Monkey On Instagram

1. SheCat54 on said:

Pecker woods are the first ones to go adopted these kids, just so they can make fun of them. The Bit^^ didn’t mean it. Why do pecker woods always call on god? He didn’t create your EVIL a^^.

2. Darlene Henry on said:

A very sincere apology. I don’t hold any animosity for this women. She seemed very sincere and I refuse to condemn someone for an error. GOD knows her heart. All judgement will be left to him. Let’s forgive and move on.

• My oldest sister always called me her “lil’ monkey.” My mother used to always say, “do what you want to me, but don’t mess with my monkeys.” I’ve seen people of all races refer to their kids as little monkeys. It wasn’t offensive then, and it’s not offensive now. She could have called the little one an angel and someone with nothing better to do than sit around and come up with reasons to spew hate, racism and plain old homegrown ignorance would come up with a reason to try to make Ms. Marie into some type of villain. This shit is becoming embarrassing. God bless her.

3. Mac Daddy you talk about what this lady is doing and ask other people what are they doing well what are you doing except trying to make people watch trump. Well you watch the speech for your fellow Americans if you want to and let other people watch what they want to. For me I will be watching the ID channel…where white people murder each other seven days a week twenty four hours a day. Enjoy the speech!!!!

4. Mac Daddy your racists comments just further prove how racist white people are. There is really no reason for you to be on this site and there is even less reason for you to be on a black site insulting black people. That is what racists do. Ya’ll just can’t leave black people alone!!!!

5. Barbara Dates on said:

Excuse me, but that bitch stated what she meant, because otherwise she wouldn’t have said it. She should be ashamed of her self.

6. I am so sick of thin skin, every one on this earth has a right to there say. Don’t apologize for what you say. If you said it you believe it. As for anyone that does not like what you say, that problem exist with them and should never be your worry. Every one has an opinion that’s life. You don’t like build a bridge and walk over it.

7. Kerry Johnson on said:

Taylor, you’re and angel… That smile on that little girl’s face says it all… Real people and see you for who you are… not all of us can do what you do… please don’t stop!!! the world needs people like you. Thanks

• Mac Daddy on said:

Thank you Kerry. A picture is worth a thousand words. People on here like SD do nothing but spew hate. Have no solutions for the blight in. our community, or worse, cares for it. Only blame. Please post more often, we need a breath a fresh air.

8. Her apology seemed as if she truly was sincere……..move on petty ppl and worry about our leader of the free world!!! BIGGER FISH to fry!!!!!!

9. If you know how mac dummy, check any book on the style of writing and you will surely see that my grammar and syntax is correct. I don’t have to dream – – I live in reality. You seem to not be able to write anything beyond an insult – how limiting is that?

10. specialt757 on said:

I read a quote yesterday that said something like, “always be humble, gentle and patient” and it resonated with me for some reason. I have begun to change my mindset and let my actions follow. With that being said, I actually believe this lady meant absolutely no harm when she called Hannah a little monkey. I do know that some white folks can be really nasty and full-out ignorant like MacDaddy below (see how I’ve grown, I didn’t call him Macdummy lol), but she hardly qualifies or rises to that level. People mis-speak all the time, every minute of the day, so I’m not ready to crucify her because she didn’t know calling a black child a monkey meant she was a racist. The fact that she engages in the lives of the people in Ghana gives me a clue she has no issue with black people, I could be wrong, but I hope not.

• Well actually, I won’t be watching the SOTUA tonight because I don’t have to, it will be repeated so much so, that it would be like I was there. I am still a human being with emotions, likes and dislikes, even with my newly discovered/found “mindset”. However, with that being said, I’m not sure trump could ever do anything that would make me respect him as the prez of these here united states. So watching him on tv trying to stay on topic and script will be like listening to the sound of nails scratching/scraping on a chalkboard for an hour, I won’t put myself through the pain. In other words, I’ll pass.

• Mac Daddy on said:

You hate Trump, I get it. Watch it for your fellow Americans whose lives have been dramatically impacted by the economic policies that the GOP have released to get this country thriving again.

Corey Adams — Welder from Dayton, Ohio, who, along with his wife, became a first-time home buyer last year. Sanders said he would take money saved from the president’s tax-cut package and set it aside to pay for his two daughters’ education.
      Elizabeth Alvarado, Robert Mickens, Evelyn Rodriguez and Freddy Cuevas — The two couples are parents of girls killed by MS-13 gang members.
      Matthew Bradford — Marine Corps veteran who stepped on an IED in Iraq in 2007, costing him both of his legs and his eyesight. He was the first blind double-amputee to re-enlist in the Marines.
      Jon Bridgers — Founder of the Cajun Navy, a nonprofit group that engages in rescue efforts, most notably during the flooding in Houston that resulted from Hurricane Harvey last fall.
      David Dahlberg — Fire prevention technician who saved 62 people, including children and staff members, when a Southern California wildfire encircled their camp last July.
      Ryan Holets — Police officer from Albuquerque, New Mexico, who adopted a baby from parents addicted to opioids.
      Ashlee Leppert — Coast Guard aviation electronics technician who engaged in rescue efforts during the historic hurricane season last year.
      CJ Martinez — Supervisory special agent for the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigations unit, whose investigations have led to the arrests of more than 100 MS-13 gang members.
      Justin Peck — Army staff sergeant who aided a team member wounded last November by an IED, saving his life.
      Preston Sharp — Creator of the Flag and Flower challenge, dedicated to honoring deceased veterans at military cemeteries by placing an American flag and a red carnation on their grave sites.
      Steve Staub and Sandy Keplinger — Sibling founders of Staub Manufacturing Solutions in Dayton, Ohio, who were able to grow their business and offer their employees a larger holiday bonus, Sanders said, because of Trump’s tax-cut legislation.

• You must really love trump to post all that ‘STUFF”. Stop wasting time on this site because we did not read the crap. Your time will be better spent watching the ID channel.

11. Butter Pecan on said:

Her apology did sound sincere and I would be the first if I thought it was BS. But when traveling abroad, you must make yourself aware of traditions, laws and customs. To be oblivious could land you in jail or worse!

12. Aleta Butts on said:

Regardless of her ignorance of the racial connotations this evokes…..She still had no business calling her (Hannah) ANYTHING other than a child or little girl.
    Inexcusable!!!

13. ….and obviously you aren’t doing anything to better society since trying to clap back was your only response that makes you look like the asinine fool that you are…

• Mac Daddy on said:

It’s clear from your grammar and syntax, that you are not college educated. So, unless you are of Middle Eastern descent and own a weave shop on the south side, I think not. But don’t stop dreaming.

• Mac Daddy, I am college educated and I won a weave shop on the south side. Your mama/ aunt and your sisters/cousins are my best customers.

14. …feeding the homeless, supplying them with toiletries and clothing; being active in getting people registered to vote; mentoring young ladies and being an encouragement whenever and wherever I can. Now, what are you doing besides coming on this thread being negative, derogatory and denigrating Blacks, women in particular, every chance you get. If you feel the way you do about this student, then take a lesson and do something to make others lives better!!!

• Mac Daddy on said:

Only in your world does selling your SNAP benefits for cash or liquor qualify as feeeding and providing for the homeless. Get to steppin’

• You can only know what you and your friends do with your SNAP benefits. Are you trying to tell us.

• specialt757 on said:

I don’t see a problem with weaves. I guess there are some styles I don’t like, but especially here is America, people wear weaves or wigs because of many reasons. It’s not for everyone but as you’ve stated Sandy, it’s not just WOC who wear them, and we weren’t the first to wear them.
        Please note, I wanted to call him a name or two, but I am being gentle and patient lol.