NEW YORK (AP) — Procter & Gamble says it’s working to stop the “Tide Pod challenge,” a social media-fueled trend in which teenagers eat single-load laundry detergent packets.

The American Association of Poison Control Centers warned last week that it had seen a spike in teenagers eating the detergent pods, which it says can cause seizures, respiratory arrest and even death.

CEO David Taylor called the trend “dangerous” and “extremely concerning” in a blog post Monday. He said the company is working with social media companies to remove videos of people biting into the detergent, and asked adults to speak with children about the hazards.

“Let them know that their life and health matter more than clicks, views and likes,” Taylor said.

In the first 15 days of the year, poison control centers said that they have handled 39 cases of intentional misuse among 13 to 19 year olds. Poison control centers handled 53 such cases for all of last year.

The pods have generally been hit a for Procter & Gamble Co., which also makes Crest toothpaste and Charmin toilet paper. The company posted quarterly revenue Tuesday of $17.4 billion and fiscal second-quarter net income of $2.5 billion. Its results topped Wall Street expectations.

P&G has faced safety issues with Tide Pods before. Shortly after it introduced the product in 2012, the company announced that it would create a double-latch lid to deter young children from accessing and eating the detergent packets. Some children mistook the brightly colored 1-inch pods for candy.

To deter teenagers, P&G released a 20-seond video of football player Rob Gronkowski earlier this month telling viewers not to ingest the pods.

“What the heck is going on people?” he said in the video. “Use Tide Pods for washing, not eating.”

A New York City pizzeria even launched “Pied Pods” because of the trend, offering rolls stuffed with cheese and pepperoni and topped with dyed cheese made to look like a detergent pod.

READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:

GET THE HOTTEST STORIES STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX:

(AP Photo/Pat Sullivan, File)

10 thoughts on “CEO Says Company Working To Stop ‘Tide Pod Challenge’

1. Hey all you tide pod kids got another challenge for you……,battery Acid Mouthwash
    Guaranteed to take that nasty tide after taste right out of your mouth

2. specialt757 on said:

AAW, we do know the races of the fools who were part of the challenge, they videoed themselves doing it, and I didn’t see one black person doing it. These tide pods are hella expensive, I can see me putting my kid in the washing machine with the pod down his/her throat, I’m going to get my money’s worth lol.

• African American Woman on said:

Oh, my bad…give me a break, I’m old…I don’t know anything about Facebook and any other new fangled things the kids are using these days…well, any spare Pods they don’t eat, send them to me…they make nasty snacks but get stains out of anything!

3. specialt757 on said:

There are some dumb ass people out here, whoever heard of “knowingly eating laundry detergent? GTFOH, you can’t fix stupid. I’ve seen video after video of this challenge, and guess who I don’t see in them?

• African American Woman on said:

Not to mention the fact that Tide Pods are hella expensive for doing laundry, not to mention eating them! Let their dumb behinds eat them and let their parents deal with the fallout…I don’t know about anyone else’s kid, but if mine decided to eat laundry detergent; don’t call me when your esophagus and stomach start melting!

• Let me guess specialt. U didn’t see any blk teens. Go figure. But to hear from mcdummy blks are the scum of the earth. Oops, I better not say that too loud, ppl may think I’m racist. Whatever!!’

• African American Woman on said:

ummmmm….we don’t know what races of the idiots who ate the Pods…we just know there were idiots…

4. African American Woman on said:

So what is Tide supposed to do? Pay for brain replacements, because as far as I know, people’s stupidity is not something that can be fixed.