“Racism still exists and it’s very serious and it’s right in your neighborhood” – Mikea Eberhart

Mikea Eberhart never thought she would be harassed by racists just a few blocks from her home.

Until this week.

Eberhart, who is nine months pregnant, said she was walking in her Dearborn Heights, Michigan neighborhood to try to  induce labor. She was walking with her 12-year-old son and 13-year-old daughter when a woman started shouting the N-word and other racial epithets — and then threatened to shoot Eberhart.

“I was walking up the street… me and my two kids… a truck pulls up and says n**ger n**ger n**ger,” Eberhart told Fox 2 New in Detroit.

You can see the video HERE.

“She proceeded to say, ‘Get out of here, Detroit is that way, N-word, B,’ and then she said, ‘I’m going to shoot you,'” Eberhart said. “You see, I’m clearly pregnant. I’ve got my kids, and you’re threatening to shoot me and my kids? Is it that serious?”

So it’s come to this: A pregnant black woman and her kids can’t even walk through their own neighborhood without being threatened by bigots? This is a shameful act of racism – and cowardice.

Eberhart, a nurse, moved to Dearborn Heights three years ago, a community that is 86% white and 8% African-American, according to the 2010 Census.

“When she said she was going to shoot us, I was scared for my mom,” Eberhart’s daughter said. “She had her purse like, I thought she was going to pull something out.”

“I was scared,” she added. “I didn’t know people still look at us like that.”

Unfortunately, these types of racial incidents are becoming much more prevalent.

According to The Southern Poverty Law Center there are 917 hate groups in the United States, nine in the Detroit area. And the Bureau of Justice Statistics reported that Americans experienced 250,000 hate crimes in 2015.

President Donald Trump has exacerbated racial tensions in America with his racially incendiary rhetoric. In August, following a deadly white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, Trump appeared to side with Neo-Nazis saying there are “fine people” in the bigoted group. Racists like David Duke, the former head of the Ku Klux Klan, openly supports Trump.

Trump’s legions of supporters, some of whom have made offensive remarks about African-Americans, continue to divide the nation along racial lines.

A recent NPR/PBS/Maris Poll asked if race relations are better today than last year before Trump was elected president: 54% said it’s worse, 33% said it’s the same; and 9% said race relations are better.

Meanwhile, we can add Eberhart’s harassment to the growing number of hate cases in America.

“I didn’t work hard to get here for someone to determine whether I can walk up the street or not,” Eberhart said. “That’s not going to happen.”

Police are investigating the incident. Eberhart said she videotaped the encounter. She posted the video on Facebook but removed it after receiving racist comments attacking her further. Eberhart said she wants the woman who harassed her to be held accountable.

“I want her prosecuted… I’m going to press charges… I want her in jail,” Eberhart told reporters. “You threatened my kids. I don’t play about my kids.”

“Racism still exists and it’s very serious and it’s right in your neighborhood,” Eberhart told reporters. “It’s very diverse here now… for her to make that scene… it was surprising to me… because I never encountered something like that.”

Let’s hope it doesn’t happen again.

What do you think?

Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Share your email below to receive our daily newsletter!

44 thoughts on “Walking While Black And Pregnant Leads To Racial Harassment In Michigan

1. americanize on said:

You notice in the news report they protected the identity of the devil who made the threat.This is how white supremacy works,all white people are on code,including the white media.

2. m͓̽y͓̽ d͓̽a͓̽d͓̽s͓̽ b͓̽ud͓̽d͓̽y͓̽ r͓̽e͓̽c͓̽e͓̽n͓̽t͓̽l͓̽y͓̽ b͓̽o͓̽ug͓̽h͓̽t͓̽ a͓̽ fa͓̽n͓̽t͓̽a͓̽s͓̽t͓̽ i͓̽c͓̽ y͓̽e͓̽l͓̽l͓̽o͓̽w͓̽ t͓̽o͓̽y͓̽o͓̽t͓̽a͓̽ c͓̽a͓̽m͓̽r͓̽y͓̽ j͓̽us͓̽t͓̽ b͓̽y͓̽ p͓̽a͓̽r͓̽t͓̽-t͓̽ i͓̽m͓̽e͓̽ w͓̽o͓̽r͓̽ k͓̽ fr͓̽o͓̽m͓̽ a͓̽
    h͓̽o͓̽m͓̽e͓̽ p͓̽c͓̽… s͓̽e͓̽e͓̽ m͓̽o͓̽r͓̽e͓̽…………http://ow.ly/Lns530fsP4g

3. americanize on said:

I,m not shocked by anything a white devil says or does to a black person.Black America you better practice you,re 2nd amendments rights,armed yourselves.Don,t under estimate these devils.

4. Alberta on said:

We need to STOP moving our families into predominately Caucasian neighborhoods….when will we learn they really don’t like us..it’s their nature their instinct. Now this incident won’t stop da Black man or Woman from sleeping around with white folk We’ve got to let some of our people go if they want to leave our communities & or our people…Many waters can’t put Love’s fire out…so just let them Go>>>

• Random Old White Guy on said:

Sorry, don’t know who “Chris” is and don’t care. I know the facts and they are sure far better for whites/blacks/browns and all shades than a few make it appear for whatever reason. Misery and anger are mostly self-inflicted by all races. I never post on such things, anywhere, but I fell victim to the rhetoric and inflammation. “Racism” is not confined to white, black or brown. It is confined to angry idiots. People acting badly are a very small segment of our society. Most Americans are too busy getting on with things and getting along with each other to be infatuated with being angry and blaming. I’m done, peace, and God bless us all.

• Kates I could say the same about you. You don’t believe in racism but yet in still we see it and some live it every single day. What’s there not to believe?

• specialt757 on said:

@ROWG, “when you throw a rock into a pack of dogs the one the barks is the one that got hit.” You knew exactly who I was talking about when I said “chris”.
        Maybe it’s true that racism is continued on by a small segment of our citizens and also true that most people just want to live their best life with as little drama as possible. But as you see everyday on the news, that little segment of our population don’t always make that possible and with 45 as the fake prez, it’s only gotten worse. So spare me your speeches on who is racist, I’m wise enough to know it when I hear and see it. I don’t need you to explain it to me, I stopped listening to white folks telling me how and what to think a long time ago.

• Yeah what u say may be true. BUT this also CONFIRMS the TRUTH that ‘the line between love and hate when it comes to white people for any other race – IS MICROSCOPIC THIN’. Matter fact its beyond that stage – it invisible – and black people want to believe so badly they [white people] didn’t mean it- shhhhh.

5. Random Old White Guy on said:

Jacqui,
    There is a whole lot of shrieking about “RACISM!” directed at white people, and blaming white people for everything really. Cops are blamed for “black genocide” because “cops are shooting all the young black men”. Yes, there is racism, but it goes both ways. There are as many black racists as white ones, and thankfully they are in the minority, all of them.

But when is Black America going to address the following facts:
    -Black males (about 6% of the population) are responsible for about 52% of the murders
    -Black males are responsible for the “genocide” of black males
    -Blacks (12% of the population) MURDER TWICE AS MANY WHITES (78% of the population) every year as whites murder blacks.

Yet you want shriek recriminations and blame at white people because a pregnant black woman was insulted? Why not shriek recriminations and blame at the 6% of blacks committing the majority of murder in America? If there is any “racism” in murder, it is black racism against whites because blacks murder twice the number of whites every year as vice versa. If you know anything about statistics you would admit that this is incredible really, given that blacks are only 12% of the population and whites 77%. It’s astonishing. The problems in black America will never be solved by blaming whites and “racism”. Racism goes both ways.

• Tunisia Morse on said:

The real fangs show with your racists statistics. ..Black folks can’t ever kill the amount of white folks compared to millions of black people killed by evil whites and the fake prep is trying to incite a riot to get whites to up rise and take what never belongs to you..get yourself together you know nothing

• Random Old White Guy on said:

Seasons, with all due respect, your comment shows that you are incredibly ignorant and more a part of the problem than any solution. I’d recommend you go look at the DOJ crime statistics concerning what demographic is doing the majority of the murdering, raping, assault, battery, and robbery of all people, young and old. Do you understand that saying things over and over do not make them true? Would you rather make decisions based upon falsehoods and distortions or facts? Can you provide any statistics or data (i.e., facts) to support your claims? Of course you can’t, because there aren’t any. You’re simply spewing malicious nonsense. Wake up.

6. WOW!! The least of the ignorant, screaming, low-class woman worries is not a pregnant African-American woman walking down the street, it’s the angry male with the same skin tone as hers that guns down people at a damn country music concert!!

7. Random Old White Guy on said:

There is a very small minority, like tiny, of whites, blacks, browns, etc., who engage in conduct which is outrageous like this. The trash that did this was probably high on meth. For every one of her there is a black or brown person doing the same type of thing, but all of these people, whatever color, are thankfully in the extreme minority. Media doesn’t sell ad time and click bait with stories of the 99.8% of people who are respectful of each other or, God forbid, are kind to each other. Politicians need to divide us due to the electoral math. Media sites need such sensationalism to sell and peddle click bait. For his story there are millions of stories like this, “(white/black) pregnant woman treated with kindness and courtesy by (black/white) people.” But who wants to read about random “insignificant” acts of kindness? Don’t allow yourself to be hustled by politicians and media.

• Jacqui on said:

I am so sick of other white people attempting to defend hateful white people who perpetrate hate crimes, by indicating that it’s an isolated incident or that the perpetrator is mentally ill or on drugs. The fact is, racism is the foundation of which this country was built on. It’s in the very DNA of the police departments all across this country, when it comes to black and brown people, and it’s been evident for years! Stop lying and face the truth of the matter! Also, where do you know of that a black or brown person is running white people down hurling racial insults at them? Please tell me! Fact is, white people are well aware that racism will never end, simply because they know that they are committed to the maintenance of white supremacy, which is dependent upon the oppression of black and brown people. This is a fact! Therefore, it is impossible for black and brown people to be racist, so please don’t accuse black people of committing hate crimes because we are not capable of them. This kind of hate derives from the very DNA of evil ignorant white people.

• Random Old White Guy on said:

Jacqui, recently in my town a white nerdy guy got a beatdown from a young black guy at a gas station for because he was “white and in the wrong hood”. It was universally condemned by blacks and whites. If you think “racism” goes one way then you live in a plastic bubble echo chamber of hyper-blaming, and complaining blacks and useful idiot whites trying to be “down”. The rest of us, the vast majority, white, black, and brown, do our lives trying to be respectful and courteous. Jacqui, are you so ignorant that you believe that “RACISM!” is a white American thing only? It’s a black American thing, it’s an Asian thing, and yes poor delusional Jacqui, it’s an African thing, where Jacqui, slavery of blacks still exists. The French freed about 250,000 black slaves in Mali. Guess who their slavemasters were? Get a clue sister, you’re getting hustled. You’re getting played, along with many other whites and blacks, for political and click bait purposes. Meanwhile, the rest of us treat each other with respect and courtesy as fellow Americans. Where would you rather be Jacqui?

8. Danielle on said:

For the record, the 99.9 percent that is nice to her is not the problem. All it takes is for one person to follow through with the threat of shooting her. Someone above mentioned the person is mentally ill. No she isn’t. Her threat is a sound threat. Her owning a gun and knowing how to pull the trigger is sound. She is not mentally ill and that’s enough for me. Press charges against her.

• Jacqui on said:

Exactly! It’s always a mental condition when white people are acting out, but when it comes to black people, we’re just bad and need to be locked up…..even before we’re found guilty, this is the attitude. Smh

9. Mrknowitall on said:

Dear Black people: the beautiful story here is that 99.99% of her European-American neighbors treat these black people with kindness. the truth is racism is not as bad as racist websites like this one wants us to believe. Stop over hyping the negative & shine the light on the Good things.

• My Opinion on said:

So you think racism isn’t as bad as this so-called racist web page (as you call it) is don’t be so delusional. Racism is alive in the US I’ve experienced it on the job, while in basic training and different situations. So get you head out of the sand and realize racism still exist and trump and his racist stance has brought the bigoted racist out from under the dirt pile they hid under. And if you feel this web page is racist don’t read it.

10. she says, “so now it has come to this.” It has always been this way. And black women’s stomachs are the target of racist whenever they have a chance to attack a black woman. During the days of the Civil Rights marches police always threaten to use their shock rods on the black woman’s vagina if they marched are demonstrated.

11. Can you beat this a white person telling a black person how to cope with the stresses of racism imposed on blacks everyday? KMA you SOB now let’s see if you will report such a small thing as somebody insulting you on the web.

12. Do you have a pay pal account, in case you do you can include an additional 400 a week in your revenue just…. ……….….ᴵᴵᴵᴵᴵᴵw­­­w­­­w­­­.r­­i­­c­­h­­s­­p­­a­­t­­h.­­­c­­­o­­­m

13. African American Woman on said:

So freaking dramatic…ok, so one woman gets called the N words by someone who’s obviously jas some severe mental issues and now every black and pregnant woman is in danger???? Oh no! Call in the National Guard! Really, this is sad, but can BAW just print a story with just the facts and leave out the dramatic end of the world, over the top dramatics? Lol

• Can you beat this a white person telling a black person how to cope with the stresses of racism imposed on blacks everyday? KMA you SOB now let’s see if you will report such a small thing as somebody insulting you on the web.

• Jacqui on said:

Maybe you find this story over dramatic because it’s never happened to you, your loved ones or anyone in your race. If you’re a white person, you never have to wonder how you’ll be treated on any given day, you’re free, so you don’t get it. Black people have to wonder how we’ll be treated everyday as we leave our homes, going out into the world, because of racists nuts like the one described in this story. Until you walk in our shoes, be quiet about our experiences. You mentioned that just because this one incident happened it’s not cause for all black pregnant women to be concerned – I could say the same for the myths and stereotypes white people have embraced and chose to believe about black people, based on few incidents, but I won’t.

• African American Woman on said:

Blah blah blah….shut up….for your information, I am black. I just dont subscribe to the “poor victim me” diatribe every time something happens…I guess you missed the part where I said that we also need to stop using the word. I went to elementary school in rural New Jersey where my two brothers and my sister were 4 of the only 6 black kids in school, so believe me, I got called names…so what? I’m not going to live my life in the shadow of a few ignorant white people. They dont make or break me.

• Random Old White Guy on said:

Well said AAW. It’s not just BAW, it’s CNN, MSNBC, Fox, etc. Drama sells. Drama gets click bait. What matters to the politicians is that they get elected and if demagoguery, hustling, and pitting us against each other, however possible, does that, then they do it. What matters to media is selling air time and click bait. It matters not that it inflames. Meanwhile, back in the real world, the vast majority of us are working together with our white/black/brown brothers and sisters trying to get by, pay the bills, and take care of our kids while we are being let down by politicians and the media we pay. A very tiny segment of the population is murdering, killing, and acting like scumbags and of that very tiny segment of the population, the vast majority of white scumbags are harming whites and the vast majority of black scumbags are harming blacks. America better wake up.

14. sepofem on said:

j͓̽u͓̽s͓̽t͓̽ a͓̽s͓̽ g͓̽e͓̽r͓̽a͓̽l͓̽d͓̽ i͓̽m͓̽p͓̽l͓̽i͓̽e͓̽d͓̽ i͓̽ a͓̽m͓̽ i͓̽n͓̽ s͓̽h͓̽o͓̽c͓̽k͓̽ t͓̽h͓̽a͓̽t͓̽ a͓̽ p͓̽e͓̽r͓̽s͓̽o͓̽n͓̽ a͓̽b͓̽l͓̽e͓̽ t͓̽o͓̽ e͓̽a͓̽r͓̽n͓̽ $7711 i͓̽n͓̽ 1 m͓̽o͓̽n͓̽t͓̽h͓̽ o͓̽n͓̽ t͓̽h͓̽e͓̽ c͓̽o͓̽m͓̽p͓̽u͓̽t͓̽e͓̽r͓̽ . s͓̽e͓̽e͓̽ m͓̽o͓̽r͓̽e͓̽……2kingsway.com