Tyler Perry has inked a multi-year deal with Viacom that includes a first-look deal with Paramount Pictures and producing original content for BET.

His film agreement is effective immediately, but the television deal will kick in May 2019 after Perry’s exclusive agreement with Oprah Winfrey’s OWN expires. As Perry exits the network, Winfrey is bringing in Will Packer (“Girls Trip”) to produce innovate and original content.

The shakeup has many wondering if the rumors are true that Oprah and Tyler had a falling out.

As Love B. Scott reports, back in March 2016, it was rumored that Oprah and Tyler’s relationship soured because Perry refused to accept Oprah’s creative suggestions for his shows.

“When Tyler first bought his shows to OWN in 2012, it was a love affair between the two of them,” a source said. “Oprah was very involved in watching Tyler develop them creatively, and they even shot promos together with her as Miss Sophia from The Color Purple and him as Madea. But that relationship has soured in the last six months because Oprah finds Tyler difficult to work with and he doesn’t take constructive criticism well at all.”
Winfrey’s BFF, Gayle King, dismissed the rumors and in October 2016, Tyler spoke highly of Oprah during an appearance on “Watch What Happens Live.”

“Can you please address the rumors that you and Oprah are feuding,” host Andy Cohen asked on behalf of a viewer, adding that Tyler “has, like, eight shows on OWN.”

Tyler responded,

“There’s nothing to address. Oprah and I are very, very happy. We were just on the phone before I came here. She’s sitting under the oaks reading books and we’re talking, laughing on the phone. There’s no truth to any of that. She’s sitting under the oaks. Literally. That’s what she loves to do. Sit under the oaks in her yard. In her massive yard.”

Earlier this year, it was announced that Oprah and Tyler will team on an animated film called “The Star,” but the two media moguls haven’t been photoed together in quite some time since.

Meanwhile, of his Viacom deal, Perry said in a statement: Viacom has a rich tradition of reaching my audience through their TV, film and digital platforms and I am excited to partner with them. I am eager to have one home where I can leverage all of their assets to tell my stories to an even wider audience. I have been very blessed to have worked with the incredible people at Lionsgate and OWN over the last few years and I look forward to continuing my work with them on a non-exclusive basis.”

Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

21 thoughts on “Did Oprah And Tyler Have A Fall Out?

1. Here’s the thing. Everyone deserves the opportunity to grow and expand their reach. Tyler has been a great asset to Oprah’s network as a content provider, through their exclusive contract for 5 years. When he moves on, she will be able to say she had him for 7. OWN is only one stream of income for Ms. Winfrey. If they are at odds with each other, it may have more to do with the re-organization of her network than money. You see Tyrese left and they are still cool. He wasn’t pulling in the numbers. Tyler does and that is something people like Oprah want to hold on to forever.

2. Elizabeth Burton on said:

Tongue and Cheek fall out every once and a while. Let Oprah do her and Tyler do him and we be us – . Its a sad commentary when gossip reigns in one’s life. There’s so much more…

3. M gross on said:

I dont have the money or skills to run the show do you unill then mind ur business and enjoy the shows who has time to gossip about something designed for enjoyment. I just want to know if the shows will continue all else is gossip .

4. Shaivon on said:

Never feed into gossip..Things are not always what they look like. We are on the outside looking in..If Oprah and Tyler did have a falling out its none of our business. With that being said I pray for the best for the both of them. Tyler keep doing what you doing!!!!!

5. Tanisha you are right he need some help from queen sugar with the have and have nots, I thought it was just me. Hannah hasn’t had the funeral yet and Candance still don’t know her soon is dead

• Tanisha on said:

My point exactly. He treats the show like a 1980’s soap opera. If it weren’t for the fine men on the show I would’ve stopped watching from the beginning.

6. Barbara Dates on said:

I’m not surprised, they dogged out Monike, what did y’all expect, tow diva together. 😁😁😁😁

7. Maggie Lindsey on said:

Oprah and Tyler are very popular and folks always want some gossip but for business minded folk understand growth and development.In business you do what’s right for your business.You alook at ratings and make changes accordingly.No love loss you move forward.

8. Tanisha on said:

If Oprah told him that Have and Have Nots was slow and that the dialogue and the series drags, she was right. And if she told him that his comedies were not funny, then she was right again. And if she told him that his productions look cheap…oh well.

• swife@gmail.com on said:

I couldn’t have said it better myself, except I’d like to add that all his movie endings leave you wondering if he just ran out of money and just ended it. He better listen to Oprah and his fans, or he’ll be back to living in that car.

• J. Smooth on said:

Oprah is the owner & President/Ceo Of the network. If this is true then she should have
      given him more production money to produce more quality productions. Oprah is a cheapskates
      who only cared about boosting her network sagging ratings. Maybe that’s why he signed another
      deal. Good for him!