Yara Shahidi is one lucky young woman.
Not only is the black-ish star getting her own spin-off show and was named the new face of Ivy Park, she recently admitted that former First Lady Michelle Obama wrote her college recommendations and even wished her luck on her AP exams!
“She is very amazing and such a supporter, which is something very surreal to say,” the high school senior told W Magazine.
The actress applied to four-year colleges on both the east and west coasts, including Harvard, which is where Michelle went for law school. And like Malia Obama, Shahidi plans on taking a year off before she starts college too.
“I know when Malia Obama announced [she was deferring], she got a lot of slack, but I feel like what’s interesting is I know so many people that are deferring. It’s more than to just roam around or just sit down and stare at a wall, but it will also give me an opportunity to work,” the 17-year-old told PEOPLE last October.
“I’ve been working more than half of my life and that’s always been balanced with school and all of the other responsibilities, so to have a year to focus on work and to focus on specified interests will be nice before I pick a career and choose what I want to study and my life path.”
When Shahidi does decide to go to school, she plans on double-majoring in African American studies and sociology.
Smarty Pants: 21 Black Celebs Who Attended Ivy League Schools
1. Tammi Terrell - University of Pennsylvania1 of 21
2. Alicia Keys - Columbia UniversitySource:Instagram 2 of 21
3. Nikki Giovanni (University of Pennsylvania and Columbia)Source:AP 3 of 21
4. Lupita Nyong'o - Yale's School of Drama (Master's)Source:PR Photos 4 of 21
5. Tracee Ellis Ross - Brown UniversitySource:Instagram 5 of 21
6. Yaya Dacosta - Brown UniversitySource:PR Photos 6 of 21
7. Tatyana Ali - HarvardSource:Instagram 7 of 21
8. Tyra Banks- Harvard University8 of 21
9. John Legend- University of Pennsylvania9 of 21
10. Aisha Tyler- Dartmouth College10 of 21
11. Bob Johnson- Princeton University11 of 21
12. Sanaa Lathan- Yale University12 of 21
13. Hill Harper- Brown University13 of 21
14. Angela Bassett- Yale University14 of 21
15. Ryan Leslie- Harvard University15 of 21
16. Rashida Jones- Harvard University16 of 21
17. Courtney B. Vance- BA from Harvard University; MFA from Yale University17 of 21
18. Joy Bryant- Yale University before dropping out to become a model.18 of 21
19. Brian White: Dartmouth College19 of 21
20. Shonda Rhimes - DartmouthSource:PR Photos 20 of 21
21. Toni Morrison - Cornell University (Master's of Arts)21 of 21
(Photo credit: PR Photos)