Activist Shaun King has been outed by the conservative media as a white man, but he’s maintained that he’s never lied about his race. Raised in the the small town of Versailles, Kentucky, King has been one of the activists at the forefront of the Black Lives Matter movement since Ferguson. The Morehouse graduate and recipient of an Oprah Winfrey scholarship, King was assailed by conservative media once it was found out that the biological father listed on his birth certificate was White. King was also accused of making more of a racially motivated high school beating than it was, although he says he was severely injured in both that an in a car accident later on.

After days of speculation, and a lengthy Twitter post that didn’t explicitly address his race,  King finally addressed the controversy in full, saying that his biological father was a light-skinned Black male, and that he was the product of an affair. He said he’s discussed this with his mother, now a senior citizen and that none of his siblings have the same father. Much of Black Twitter’s most serious activist community has come to King’s defense, although racist trolls and conservative race baiters have had a field day with the story.

King says that his family history, like many people’s is complicated but that he’s known all his life that he was Black and lived that experience in every way. Today he is married to a Black woman, Rai King, with whom he has children and took to his defense to day on her Facebook page to say her husband has never lied about his race.

King writes:

I refuse to speak in detail about the nature of my mother’s past, or her sexual partners, and I am gravely embarrassed to even be saying this now, but I have been told for most of my life that the white man on my birth certificate is not my biological father and that my actual biological father is a light-skinned black man. My mother and I have discussed her affair. She was a young woman in a bad relationship and I have no judgment. This has been my lived reality for nearly 30 of my 35 years on earth. I am not ashamed of it, or of who I am—never that—but I was advised by my pastor nearly 20 years ago that this was not a mess of my doing and it was not my responsibility to fix it. All of my siblings and I have different parents. I’m actually not even sure how many siblings I have.

Read King’s full essay HERE.

Shaun King, his wife and family.

ShaunKingIGfamily Shaun King (right) as a babyshaunkingbaby

Do you think he’s telling the truth? Tell us!

(Photos: Instagram and Facebook)

31 thoughts on “Activist Shaun King Provides Some Receipts: ‘My Biological Father Is A Light-Skinned Black Man’ [PHOTOS]

1. Paul Park on said:

Shaun King is a liar. He stole a scholarship meant for a true AA young man. His career has enriched him by lying and fraudulently representing himself as black. He still lies about the “beating” he took in high school which was over a broken CD, not racial. The rapper C-BO called King a liar about the “gunshot” incident King still lies about. How can anyone follow this guy who has been proven to be a fraud?

2. This isn’t like the case of Rachel Doleful where you have someone claiming to be of a race to which they have no connection. Shaun King didn’t even bring his race up. This is an attempt to discredit his voice as an activist. As I do not stand by this petty attempt to make his works race relative, this is the last comment I will be making on any article like this. White, black, Shaun King does due diligence in trying to fight for freedom. I respect that in any color.

3. All this talk shhhhhhhh- betta take a look at a vid I just watched. It’s called ‘if we can’t get get we’ll breed them out’ – sounds like an agenda to me! On youtube.

4. labman57 on said:

And now that it has been established that his biological father was in fact black, the apologies will come streaming in any time now …. uh, perhaps now …. what, no?

5. specialt757 on said:

He looks lily white to me, and DNA is not hard to get. But in the meantime I don’t care if he’s white as snow or black as coal, the BLM movement has to get better organized with intelligent and/or better leadership, black, white, red, or yellow, makes no difference. I believe their concentration should be more so ALL/OUR Lives Matter, one no less than the other. It doesn’t matter whether a person is wronged by a white cop or a black or white thug.
    As Mrs. Clinton already advised, they need to focus on how to get what policies changed or created more so than trying to change the heart of the racist idiots out here, that won’t happen. Also, when BLM hold protests, marches or bombard speaking engagements, make sure they are fighting for EVERY victim wronged, they will gain more ground towards their cause.
    Black Lives are no less important than any others.

• specialt757 on said:

Usually I don’t respond to people I felt should have been aborted, but I’m far from a racist. I just don’t like your white ass. Or any other idiot, I have an extremely low tolerance for the stupidity which you seem to convey on every post.

• it's my opinion on said:

yYou know what…there’s some truth to that….seriously…I’m not that old but there are times, I’ve come in contact w/someone that could possibly pass, but something about their features, screams black…or a minimum..there’s something in that mix..for sure…

• specialt757 on said:

Ran across a HS long distance track team last week on a walk/bike trail. All the kids were white except one. Same skin tone as her teammates but one thing stood out. Going back to Sesame Street now, one of these things are not like the others…that hair texture, no denying she was mix but could definitely pass.

6. reflextions on said:

Your background and heritage does nothing to negate the great leader you have become and the actions you have taken to bring attention to the injustices that continue today against people of all colors. If there intention was to taint your character it did not work. There attempt to discredit the black lives matter movement has failed and this proves how your hard work is changing things and they are desperate. They resort to character assignation when they are losing keep up the great work. I am looking forward to even greater things from you Shaun.

7. rasil4u on said:

I believe him. Besides, who cares except the ones trying to distract BLMs cause. Beautiful family. Plenty of women have babies as the result of affairs. This is as old as Methuselah.

8. Shaun gets a pass, Rachel didn't on said:

Uh oh!! What’s the difference between this dude and Rachel? Answer: His wife is black and he had kids with her.

This dude will get an automatic pass from black women, because of this. Watch all the excuses that black women make for this guy. White man goes in the wash dirty, but always comes out fresh and clean.

• specialt757 on said:

This man could be married to snow white and the seven drawfs…my feelings won’t change. BLM needs to get better organized and intelligent leadership. The color of one’s skin doesn’t determine intelligence level or leadership skills.

9. At the end of the day, does it really matter. Jerry and Maury did not just come up with this DNA debacle and foolish they just capitalized on it and as he said it is not his mess to fix. I am happy that he has a healthy attitude and protects his mothers virtue.

10. Like I said yesterday, maybe his mother had an affair with a black man. He did mention scandal in his coments. It was easier for her to just put white on his birth certificate.. I had an aunt that passed for white til she got sick and had to come home to the black people that knew her .I admire him for not trying to pass and living his life as he wanted too.

• I know a family of light skinned people with “good” hair and one of the sisters moved to LA and passed for white. A sister that was slightly darker went to LA to visit this sister and the maid told her she needed to go to the back door. The sister said “no I am her sister.” And by this time the sister passing for white came to the door and dismissed the maid. She got mad at the sister for just showing up at the door without letting her know in advance, and told her she had to leave.