In the town of Clinton, La., a white 54-year-old man was arrested and charged with a hate crime and an additional misdemeanor charge after he cornered a 12-year-old Black boy and unleashed a racially-charged tirade. Ronnie Barnes is accused of pulling down the boy’s pants inside a gas station and using the “n-word” to address the child.
Local outlet WAFB reports that the incident took place on July 25 inside the Good To Go convenience store in the late afternoon. The boy was inside the gas station to pay for his grandmother’s gas when Barnes walked over to him and asked was he a girl as stated in the East Feliciana Parish Sheriff’s Office report. The boy’s pants were pulled down around four to five inches, but it was stated his private parts were not exposed.
“The sheriff takes race issues very seriously, and if someone you know commits a crime against someone because of their color, because of their sexual orientation, because of any reason, then we are going to do our best to fully investigate it,” said Det. Kevin Garig of the East Feliciana Parish Sheriff’s Office.
Surveillance video from the convenience store also showed Barnes backing the boy into a shelf before hitting him on the back of the head. Barnes is accused of calling the child the “N” word and making other racially charged remarks following the battery.
“Someone merely saying that word in public, while it’s not appropriate, it’s not illegal,” Garig said.
Raw Story writes that the unnamed boy also wore his hair styled in long dreadlocks, which the publication states in their report was the reason why Barnes spoke to him initally.
The boy’s mother was rattled by the incident, saying that since the encounter she or her son haven’t been able to sleep. Barnes was arrested Tuesday and was placed in the East Felicina Parish Jail on a $10,000 bond.
RELATED: Obama Slammed With Racist Tweets
And We Thought We Came So Far: The Most Racist Moments Of 2014
1. 2014’s Most Racist Moments1 of 24
2. Artie Lange’s Racist & Sexist Tweet2 of 24
3. Sephora Singles Out Asian Customers3 of 24
4. Twitter Racists Hate The “New Annie”4 of 24
5. People Magazine’s Lame HTGAWM Tweet5 of 24
6. ’12 Years A Slave’ Headlines That Hurt6 of 24
7. Fergson Protestors Labeled ‘Animals’7 of 24
8. Huffington Post’s Really Uncomfortable “Once You Go Black” List8 of 24
9. Ebola9 of 24
10. “Breathe Easy, Don’t Break The Law” Shirts10 of 24
11. Fraternity Uses Dark-Skinned Blow Up Doll As Beyonce Sex Doll11 of 24
12. Sony’s Racist Emails12 of 24
13. New Hampshire Police Commissioner Calls Obama The N-Word13 of 24
14. Racist Halloween Costumes14 of 24
15. Richard Sherman Gets Called a ‘Thug’ By Media15 of 24
16. Watermelon Toothpaste Cartoon Featuring Obama16 of 24
17. Shonda Rhimes Labeled “Angry Black Woman” By NYT17 of 24
18. Donald Sterling’s Rant18 of 24
19. Bill O’Reilly19 of 24
20. John Boyega Responds To Racist Star Wars Fans20 of 24
21. Don Lemon Being Don Lemon21 of 24
22. New York Times Called Michael Brown ‘No Angel’22 of 24
23. Booker T. Washington Walkout23 of 24
24. Racist Stripper Goes On ‘N-Word’ Rant24 of 24
Louisiana Man Arrested For Racist Hate Crime Against 12-Year-Old Boy was originally published on newsone.com