A Georgia Pastor is coming down hard on members of the church and their anti-LGTBQ criticism.

The Huffington Post reports:

E. Dewey Smith , who is pastor of the House of Hope Atlanta in Decatur, Georgia, and the House of Hope Macon, chastised his congregation and others who “demonize and dehumanize” artists and even members of their own choir who are gay while enjoying and benefitting from their work.

“We have done what the slave master did to us,” he said. “Dehumanize us, degrade us, demonize us, but then use them for our advantage.”

Vocal opponents of homosexuality will cite Leviticus, Smith went on to say, but the same book of the Bible also prohibits eating shellfish, wearing mixed fabrics and sharing a bed with a woman while she’s menstruating.

“Here’s my point. We pick and choose the scriptures that we want to use to beat folk up with, rather than look at our own lives.”

“Look at your neighbor and tell your neighbor, ‘I don’t condemn you. I don’t judge you. I will preach Christ to you,'” he said. “You can’t evangelize and antagonize at the same time.”

Out and Proud Celebrities

(Photo/Video Source: YouTube)

45 thoughts on “Pastor Says Anti-LGBTQ Supporters Are ‘Hypocrites’ [WATCH]

1. There is a scripture in the Bible that deals w/such a time as this. [2 Timothy 4King James Version (KJV)
    4 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; 2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. 5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.] I agree that no sin is bigger than the other. As one post pointed out earlier, all have sinned. I think the difference and problem is, people who identify as gay, bisexual or transgender don’t believe they are in sin. When you give The Word, they believe its antiquated or that God made them that way. I just don’t agree w/that because that would mean a Holy and perfect God is actually not perfect. That would then mean, Christ sacrificing His life was imperfect and that would mean we are all lost and on our way to hell. If God’s Word calls a thing sin, then its sin. Surely there is blatant sin running through the church and it needs to be dealt with. The whole point of Christ dying on the Cross was because of sin. How can someone come to Christ, sincerely, if they don’t believe they are in sin. We as the body of Christ, yes, have to start dealing w/our own sin, but we also have to start dealing w/sin that no one wants to touch and if people can’t agree that what they are doing is sin, then they should not operate in ministry until their thinking lines up w/God’s; and that includes deacon so and so or sister friend or pastor man who may be committing adultery or anything else The Bible says is sin. They should be restored to the faith, lovingly and not condemningly. Romans 8:1There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Once you receive Christ in your heart, He then expects you to change. Your mind is to change, your view of your lifestyle should change according to The Word (Romans 12:1 & 2). Unfortunately there are some who don’t believe they have a need for change. They believe saying anything against homosexuality, including what scripture says, is reckless. But they don’t see wanting to teach young kids that men being w/men and women w/women as being reckless or little boys wanting to be called a girl as being reckless. We are teaching children to sin instead of dealing w/the real issues that may be going on with them. And speaking truth is not judging. We can’t judge a person’s soul however the Scripture says you will know a tree by the fruit it bears. If your fruit isn’t lining up w/Scripture……….. Its sad and scary because, regardless of what you believe about The Bible, end time prophecy is being lived out right before us. Take heed. Know that Jesus love you, died for you and wants the best for you. He is not condemning you but understands that sin leads to death. Sometimes physically and surely spiritually (please excuse typos).

2. MoFo on said:

Correct nobody has a right to judge. BUT if you beleive the Bible – you will see where two cities
    were infected the same way with that sit. You will see where the angel asked the man of God to
    ultimately find 5 righteous men. Than after he couldn’t the cities were burt to a crisp. The sit
    was WIDELY accept BACK THAN AS IS being accepted today. Huh don’t fool ya self!

3. Grateful Sinner on said:

The Pastor is correct in his preaching. What make one sin bigger than another? Nothing!!!!! It is a convenient way for people to point out that they are better than someone else by differentiating between big sins and little sin. God doesn’t have big sins and little sins; one sin is capable of sending you to hell. Matter of fact, Roman 6:23 states “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord”. It is because Christ stands in as our Intercessor that we are able to boast about our salvation. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9Not of works, lest any man should boast. From all of the biblical stories and teaching of Jesus, it would seem that Jesus would be in the presence of those who society considered outcasts and unworthy of recognition. One of the most revealing things about God is His ability to judge the heart of the person of faith. It is amazing that we somehow forget when the people brought the woman that was caught in adultery to Jesus to be judged. Jesus show this woman love, mercy and grace in his refuting of those who wanted justice. For those super saved, holy ghost filled and fired baptized remember what Isaiah 64:6 states “But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away”. Our job is to preach, teach and live in the love of God that people might see who God is through us and allow God to be God. Let both grow together (tare and wheat) until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

4. Joy2 on said:

To each his own. But in my opinion there are a bunch of ‘Bible Thumpers’ in this comments section. Worshiping a god that you’ve never seen, and believing a bible that was written by a white man; the same white men that held black people back, and condoned slavery. I don’t usually dwell on the ridiculous. nor race; but this time I couldn’t resist. Every one has an opinion (and, yes I have one rather you agree, or not)

5. Church Girl on said:

Pastor Smith made some great points. I still don’t agree with homosexuality but I wholeheartedly agree that it’s not my place to condemn anyone for anything. I have my own problems! And people please spare us the “that’s why I don’t go to church” routine ’cause no it ain’t lol!!!

6. Timekeeeper on said:

It isn’t that people or church folks pick on homosexuality. It’s just that this issue has become front and center, socially, politically and every where else. If that seems to be the case it is because they ( the LGBT community) continues to push back on people of faith every time it is bought up. Unlike, drug abuse, adultery, stealing and just plain old talking behind people’s backs none of these sinful folk parade around in public that they do these things. In fact most are ashamed. It is the LGBT that is so proud of their sin that they in fact think, it isn’t. This does prove one thing though. the enemy has always made a pretty good argument no wonder so many blame the Christian instead of the sin. The homosexual community are the ones beating the drums! Kettle drums at that! Very loudly. People of faith are simply responding to the pounding.

• DaVinee on said:

You nailed it!!! A sin is a sin, no matter how big/small. The confusion is that true Christians try to tell unbelievers what thus saith Lord for ALL sin. Then they think you’re judging. We have to put The Word out there whether they accept or reject it(tell them)

7. RENO2AC on said:

I do agree with him. I’m so sick of “church folks” beating the homosexuality drum to death. We always hold up the homosexuals as an example of sin, but know one beats the sin of heterosexuals to death…why is that? And, let me add, I’m a lifelong “church girl.” My nephew’s girlfriend just had a baby a few hours ago. Lord knows I’m tickled to death, but I asked them both at the baby show, “When are you getting married?” Everyone gasped as though I had spit in the potato salad! My nephew’s mother told me, “Don’t start.” REALLY? I have a problem with ALL sin, and I’m a sinner, who has repented.

• People do pick and choose what sins they think are bad or which ones they can maneuver around. However, that takes none of the wrongs away from homosexuality. Especially when they seem to be forcing it down our throats. I for one will never accept it! This so-called Pastor is silly if he thinks it’s okay to be a homosexual. I understand about picking and choosing sins, but that doesn’t absolve homosexuals of anything!

• RENO2AC on said:

I’m not nor do I believe that the pastor in the article is condoning homosexuality. My issue is, like you said, “picking and choosing.” I strongly disagree with that. Let’s talk about ALL sin. Let’s talk about the deacon that’s been married for 40 years, and has a 25 year old daughter by one of the choir members. Why is it okay for the head usher’s boyfriend to live with her? Adultery is rampant, and do we even need to talk about just how mean and hateful some Christians are to others? No one blinks at fornication between a male and female, premarital sex, backbiting, gossiping, but oh, Lawd, d@mn those homosexuals to he!!. Instead of holding them up to the world as the worst of the worst, I would prefer to pray for their Deliverance. Pray that they turn their backs on that lifestyle. I have gay family members that I do not want to go to he!!

• specialt757 on said:

RENO2AC to be honest church folk along with ALL folks sin, EVERYONE falls short, let’s be clear. Like you I’m sick of people ramming “it’s okay to homosexual down my throat” and if I disagree I’m the one going to hell for the sin of judging. Well I’ll just see everyone else there. Everybody thinks their sugar honey ice tea don’t stink and they can say what’s right and wrong. We never have to do that, it’s already written, follow God’s word and live like he says and you can’t go wrong. And it’s stated to “lead others to Him” it’s up to others to follow.

8. Bathazar Xavier on said:

that’s why i don’t do church. folks want to tell you about your sins and how horrible you are, then run around sinning themselves with their noses turned up at you. the pastor put it exactly right, which has made some of the bible-thumping commenters mad but it’s true, folks pick and choose which sins they want to decry and which ones they want to excuse. then to top it off they want to prioritize sins and judge others…so hypocritical it’s almost funny. but i guess that’s what it takes to be a “christian” these days: “i’m a better person than you so i’m going to heaven”.

• specialt757 on said:

Don’t blame not going to church on “Christians” blame it on yourself. If you know the word for yourself you won’t need others to tell you how to live or to treat others. It’s already written. You’re doing just what you say “Christians” do, judge.

• Timekeeeper on said:

Bathazar.

I am sorry you have such a negative opinion of the church. However most people ( at least the ones I know do not go to church because they think they are better than someone else. Instead, they go because they wanted to repent from the lifestyle they were in and wanted to do better. Are their folks in the church like that? Yes, I am certain their are, have ran into a few myself. But most go because of what Jesus did ( and does) for them. You can easily do the same , if that was your initial intent. By they way, people think they are better because they have a better house, or because they have a degree, or because they are a certain skin color, or political party, in short it isn’t just the church. If you are honest with yourself people in all walks of life think they are better for lots of reasons and most of them are petty. just a thought!

9. Timekeeeper on said:

This Pastor has an opinion, that is all it is. His Opinion. Of Which I personally strongly disagree. While I won’t degrade his motives ( perhaps he really believes that) It certainly doesn’t mean he is right. He has a few worshippers on this sight who are his loyal parishioners and they agree with him. That is nothing new. ‘Pastor’s religion” has been going on since the first man ever put on a clergy collar. The Gay & Lesbian community claims people bash them when people speak of the Bible and it’s stance against homosexuality. Well, they are doing the very same thing. The moment anyone stands up against homosexuality, they are publicly and socially ridiculed, and thrown under the bus. In essence they are no better than the very people they claim bash them.
    I the LBGT community wants to ignore God’s word and continue to “Go To Hell Thru The Church” then let them, It isn’t even worth the argument. God will do the separating. And when he does, just move out of the way.
    This preacher can rant and rave all he wants, point fingers, hoop, dance, shout or whatever his modis operanda is. Jim Jones made his whole congregation drink cyanide kool aid so if his church wants to drink his kool aid message, they can go with him the same way. Like I said that is nothing new. The Bible predicts a great “falling away” so this is no marvel.
    Just believe in the ( WHOLE) word of God and as the songwriter says “ don’t let nobody, turn you around, turn you around, turn you around.

• Spot on!
        Do believe we need to continue to reach out to the LGBT people. Anyone I have spoken to that are LGBT, have come from hurt and broken families and are gender confused at a young age.

• Jacquelynn4 on said:

At Nancy: It wouldn’t surprise me if a large percentage were sexually abused at a young age by someone of the same sex to cause such gender confusion.

10. After you have been taught the Word and studied the word for yourself and have a clear understanding of what the scriptures are saying then you know right from wrong. That is why we must study the scriptures for ourselves, because there will be people who say they are pastors that teach against the Word and tell you that you need to accept what you know is wrong. To each his own, I happen to beleive by studing the scriptures that homosexualty is wrong and that is what I believe. So why isn’t what i beleive respected? I don’t condemn anyone for their beliefs so why does the homosexual community have a problem with everyone that happens not to agree with them?

• specialt757 on said:

All valid points. What I believe comes from reading and studying the word. And for a “pastor” to stand in his pulpit and teach, the world is right and the word is wrong lets me further know that if you don’t know HIM for yourself you will forever live in a state of confusion. I dismissed this “pastor’s” rant to chastise folks for believing in God’s word. The bible is our life’s guide, some of us just refuse to live by it.

11. It is REALLY amazing how society and even church folk are SOO quick to accuse you of judging when you point out in scripture what God says about an issue. How am I judging you when I’m only saying what God says. Hmmm!!!

12. What Smith is not considering is that the gay community pushed and pushed until society finally caved in and agreed with them by saying, “we’re right & God/the bible is wrong”. The church kept quiet and sleep. But if gays can do it, so can pedophiles, prostitutes, adulterers, etc. We as pastors MUST preach against sin and uphold the standard of living & morally given to us by God. Pastor Smith must choose, either he’s with the world and against God or with God & against the world but he can’t be both!

13. Pastor Smith appears to be promoting homosexuality. He actually mixed up moral law, i.e.homosexuality with ceremonial law, i.e.eating shellfish & a women’s period. A common mistake made by those who don’t fully understand Mosaic law. If we adhere to Smith’s teachings then we can throw out all of the Ten Commandments. Homosexuality is condemned in the New Testament, Romans, Relevation & Ephesians. I get the point Smith attempted to make, (don’t judge others sins while neglecting your own and stop condemning sinners as it benefits you) Poor & dangerous sermon.

14. Catrina Wimberly on said:

I’m so very proud of my pastor,keep speaking the truth,continued love and support from your House of Hope Macon member!

15. This speaker is mixing old with new and truth with fallacy. You can actually judge someone but God will judge you with that same measure,so you better have your house in order,mostly likely you don’t. He protects the courts which are people whose lives are not in order and he could not bring himself to say that the LGBTC community are sinners just like the rest of us, but an earlier comment was right, this is ATLANTA!!!

16. Dennis Silver on said:

Pastor E. Dewey Smith or whatever he is . . . should sat his dumb monkey ass down some place. Only the homosexuals could agree with him more. We, the American people have come to know that there is a lot of homosexuality in the church including the pastors and ministers. Smith obviously has homosexual sensitivities.

17. If there is 1 true Christian in any church it would be miraculous. Adultery is more prevalent amongst Christians than any other group I can think of. Pastor r performing weddings in the church that r clearly a union of adultery, yet these marriages r performed. U cannot be half a Christian and the Bible is not a bag of trail mix, u don’t get to take out the pieces u like and toss the rest aside, yet I c so called Christians doing it every day.

18. Mzbrowneyes on said:

I’ve always said that no sin is categorized higher than another. Sin is sin. We all fall short and we all sin daily n some form. No man or woman or race is better than another. We are all created by God for a purpose. It’s up to us to seek what that purpose is and not judge each other but just lead them in the ways of Christ.

19. I think the Pastor’s point is that Jesus loves all, but not their sins…He also is falling back on scripture (Matthew 7) to let folks know that you cant judge folks and that they need to look in the mirror at their own shortcomings…Jesus said that “its the sick that needs a doctor, not the healthy”…

20. Wayne on said:

The pastor every Sunday pick and choose the topic and make comments.
    We can comment on the weather.
    We can comment on restaurant food.
    We can comment on clothing styles.
    But we can’t comment on LGBT lifestyle.
    why not.
    They must donate a lot of money.

• specialt757 on said:

Right, we dare not express or have an opinion about LGBTC, we are going to hell. Better watch this pastor closely, he just might be of the same LGBTC religion, just undercover after all this is in Atlanta.

• This happens a lot in Georgia, whatever happened to Bishop Long? I think he still has his church and several members. Well we all fall short and not to judge is a good message.

• specialt757 on said:

“They must donate a lot of money.” Probably true in Atlanta. I have a friend who had been going to his church since he was a small child (he’s 60 now). He stopped going now that the transvestites have taken over and their new “pastor” has the same views as “Pastor” Smith above. The problem is they don’t even tithe. All the tithing members are slowing leaving. Can’t wait to see how this ends.