It took ABC News chief legal analyst Dan Abrams to change Whoopi Goldberg’s mind regarding her defense of Bill Cosby.

“I gotta say, all of the information that’s out there kinda points to guilt,” Whoopi said this morning, after months of being slammed for refusing to believe rape and drugging allegations against the actor – even after newly-unsealed court documents showed that Cosby admitted in 2005 to procuring Quaaludes to give to women with whom he wanted to have sex.

Whoopi was under the impression that the dozens of accusers could take Cosby to court if they were really telling the truth about their allegations. The co-host invited Abrams on to explain that the “statute of limitations” in rape cases prevent these women from doing so.

“I have been taking a lot of heat for various reasons,” Whoopi acknowledged this morning, welcoming Abrams to “The View,” “to help me understand a lot of what’s going on.”

Abrams explained that the statute of limitations has expired on both civil and criminal suits against Cosby that might have been filed by the list of accusers. “Now, effectively, nothing can be done” in courts, he said, calling it a “legal technicality.”

“That’s a shock to me,” Whoopi said, adding, “You’re saying all that is left to these women is the court of public opinion.”

Abrams noted the women who have come forward “together…make a much more compelling case,” adding, “It is impossible to ignore the consistency of these stories” and that, “as practical matter, the remedy against Bill Cosby is the court of public opinion. It’s the pressure; it’s the pulling of his TV shows, it’s the ridicule.”

Whoopi suggested it might be counterproductive to pull the show because it affects the royalty checks of other actors, “and some of them may not be able to make a living.” But, she quickly added, addressing viewers, “PLEASE don’t’ take this the wrong way. I’m thinking about the other actors.”

As of today, Whoopi’s position is this: “There is no recourse for these women except what they are doing. If this is to be tried in the court of public opinion I gotta say, all of the information that’s out there kinda points to guilt. Now, again, I always thought they would have the opportunity to take him to court, but [Abrams is] saying that’s not true.”

“You got a serial rapist, he’s been on the streets for 30 years,” Whoopi said. “I thought, ‘Here’s all the information. Take his ass to jail.’ I find out from you that that’s not possible…So, I can’t say any more ‘innocent until proven guilty’.”

Addressing Cosby, Whoopi concluded, “It looks bad, Bill. Either speak up or shut up, cause people know now there’s a lot more out there than they thought.”

Watch below:

Like on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.

(Photo Source: Photo/Video Source: YouTube)

32 thoughts on “Whoopi Goldberg Changes Mind on Cosby: ‘Information Kinda Points To Guilt’ [Watch]

1. Amber on said:

I still say, What is the big deal in what Whoopi view is about this situation? I still fail to see the importance. Some folks act as if some holy life force that has our lives in his/her hand has spoke andit will be the end of world because some has a different (Whoopi) view on the issue on how she is going to look at it.

2. pac4me on said:

Whoopi, Whoopi, Whoopi – you didn’t need Dan to explain a damn thing to you – it’s been said over and over that the statue of limitations has been passed. I believe that this perverted man didn’t stop doing what he was getting away with and I’m hoping that those he has molested in recent years will no longer be afraid and will have the courage to tell it all, face this monster and begin to live their lives again. Yes, there can be justice for the other women without them taking him to court

• Amber on said:

And if that is proven with court with recent women, I do not think Whoopi will care. As she said, “innocent until proven guilty”.

• Joy2 on said:

pac: She needed Dan to help her save face. She was in so deep that she probably was embarrassed to change her tune. By bringing Dan on….she could rationalize her change of heart

3. specialt757 on said:

@ Anne
    You want to talk about the “law” but call Dr. Cosby a “rapist”. I have yet to see a conviction of rape or any charges filed against Dr. Cosby for rape. Rape is the assessment or conclusion that the court of public opinion (you in particular) assigned to this man. I don’t care who wrote the law, when I referred to the “white man” read my post at #7. If a white man says it’s so then, that’s what black folks seem to believe, I’m sticking by that. In the case of this story above, Whoopie (who has an opinion like you and I) “changed” her views once whitey came on her show. I’m sure white people are in my family and sexual assault victims as well but I still have an opinion about the claims of these 30 plus women from 20, 30, 40 years ago. I have a right to that, and I’m not defending anyone, I’m stating my opinion on the subject.

• Anne on said:

It’s not against the law for me to consider and call Cosby a rapist. The entire public has every right to form an opinion not just you and in my opinion he is a rapist. My opinion is based on the statement of over 40 female witnesses ( including a black one ), Cosby’s old interview with Larry King and old stand-up routine wherein both he joked about his fetish /obsession with slipping drugs to women, AND Cosby’s sworn statements when he admitted to getting drugs to give to women he wanted to have sex with. From there I can put 2 and 2 together and form the opinion that he is a rapist.

• specialt757 on said:

Maybe you didn’t read my statement well, go back and try it again. I never said you couldn’t or didn’t have an opinion see it’s right here “who has an opinion like you and I”. You talked about the law initially, but you and I are two people outside of the law so we hold “the court of public opinion” I also didn’t say it was against the law for you to consider or call Dr. Cosby a rapist, that’s your right, but it’s not a “fact” just your opinion. Again he has never been convicted or even stated he rape anyone. You and a bunch of others concluded that he did.

• Anne on said:

My opinion is NOT based on what ant white man had to say, though I can’t speak for Whoopi. My opinion is based on the factors that I listed above and my belief due to those factors, that Cosby is a sick rapist who likes to commit nonconsentual sex with a woman who is passed out and or incapacitated and that Beverly Johnson is lucky she got away just before he could do the very same thing to her.

• specialt757 on said:

Now you’re just repeating yourself. This is my last post to you on this subject. Based on a scale of 1 to 10 your comprehension level is a 1, 1 being the least. Good day.

• Anne on said:

It’s perfectly fine for me to talk about the law AND give an opinion. I never said it was a fact but it’s what I believe so it’s the same effect as far as I (personally ) am concerned. Also you should make up your mind. On one hand you say I can have an opinion but on the other hand you complain about it. Keeping believing as you do and I will do the same.

• Amber on said:

Really, I do not see her changing her stance to a point. Her belief is “innocent until proven guilty’. She not now saying, “it KINDA look guilty”. “Kinda” and saying someone IS guilty is two different things. Saying Kinda is like saying Kinda but….. And still whatever she means, IT IS HER OPINION.

• Anne on said:

I’m repeating myself because your level of comprehension is obviously so low based on your responses that maybe you have to read the same simple comment more than once just to understand it. Good day to you too, maybe one day you’ll understand my comments.

4. Perhaps this would be a Black issue if all the victims were White or vice versa but it is not. Instead, it is about rape. It is about a well-known person accused of raping multiple women. It is about when these victims reported the crime, which of them is believable and/or if ANY of them are believable. It is about the law. It is about the law that various in each State.

Some Black lawyers and Black journalists have said something about the law as well. Those Blacks may have gotten their information from a White man as a White person may have instituted and/or written that particular law of statute of limitations in the States were Cosby raped those women.

What I am trying to say is that this has nothing to do with a White man telling Blacks how to think but that the law is the law and Black, Brown, White, Red or Yellow, we must follow it.

If we no longer want to “follow the White man” about that law or any law that was written by a White man, then we must individually push our local Congress to change all the laws that were written by anyone that is White.

We as a people, can implement laws to be changed but we must first act.

• I might feel differently if each of my family members were Black. However, I doubt anyone here or any place else can say that all of his or her family members are one race.

I might feel differently if each of my family members and friends were victim-free of sexual assault. However, I doubt anyone here or any place else can say that each of their family members and/or friends have never been sexually assaulted.

It is not a Black or White issue but about rape.

Unity in favor of a Black rapist is not something I could ever embrace. If so, then I would embrace the Black person that sexually molested my Black friend.

Again, this is about rape not race.

5. Noble 1 on said:

I can’t believe White Folk coward Asses do what they do best when they feel threatened & that’s to discredit an icon at his best once they found out he was trying to buy CBS. This is so distasteful & what’s next.

6. He (the “white man”) is a legal analyst. She brought him in to inform her of legal aspects of the case that she supposedly didn’t understand at first. I think she just gave in to the pressure and heat that she’s been taking for publicly defending Cosby which is disrespectful to the 40 plus women who now have strength in numbers and are presenting consistent multiple claims that clearly point to Cosby guilt especially when you add Cosby’s own statements to the mix.

• Who cares? Cosby is a disgusting serial rapist. He admitted from his own mouth to getting drugs to give to women he wanted to have sex with. His lawyer objected when he was asked if he ever gave drugs to women without their knowledge. Add that to the statements of over 40 witnesses and put 2 and 2 together. Beverly Johnson realized she was drugged and got rowdy with him and was able to get out of there just before passing out. What do you think would have happened to her if she had passed out in Cosby’s presence? You he would have just watched her slerp? If she wanted to lie she could have said she was raped also. There’s no conspiracy, Cosby is a huge disappointment. I grew up watching the Cosby Show but the evidence points to his guilt and I can’t ignore that. Why defend him in the face of all this evidence?

• Correction: Do you think he would have just watched her sleep? (if Beverly would have passed out before getting away). Clearly he planned on assaulting her once she was unconcious but good for her that she managed to get away. I can understand why anyone would type one word in this man’s defense especially those who don’t even know him personally.

7. specialt757 on said:

I agree Amber, I’ve talked to people about this case and they don’t give two hoots about it, they don’t care about the outcome one way or the other although they may have an opinion on whether “he did it or not”. I wish, since the white man has spoken, it will just go away.

• Amber on said:

I think most people want it to go away. Sorry but in the eyes of many-at least around me even when this come up in the stores-, these women waited 20 to 30 years and now they want to talk about justice and ignored the chance to do something when it was fresh and open to do something. Sorry but people talking noise on the internet is not always what most people are talking about in their personal life.

• I disagree. Cosby is finally getting some form of punishment which he deserves. Many of the accusers came forward in the past but Cosby used hid influence to keep it mainly out of the media. He settled a case that included statements from various accusers who made claims that were consistent with the plaintiff’s claims. Now even more women aren’t afraid to come forward because they have strength in numbers ever since that comedian brought the into the spotlight and the victims realized just how many other women had been drugged and raped after passing out.

• Amber on said:

Anne, many folks DO NOT CARE if you look at the general public do not care at this point and many people are tired of story. Even if you look a boards and the internet, the numbers are really now small and often it is the same people posting. Like I said, I believe some of these women were drugged as Cosby admitted in the deposition and I also believe some of these other women are using this situation as well who may have did drugs with Cosby and claiming this happen to them as well. But again, I DO NOT KNOW; but again, when I try to talk to people about it, it is “well they waited 20 to 30 years if it true” or people are just tired of hearing about it. If you look, the story is not even bring in no ratings on network. The big story. The drug king pen. To many, this Cosby and these women issue now. The steam has hazed out in term of most people in the public.

• Anne on said:

Amber you should just speak for yourself. Unless you have done an extensive survey large enough to represent the public just say YOU don’t care and leave it at that. There’s countless posts like this on the Internet that prove people are still talking about it.

8. Amber on said:

I am still trying to understand why are SOME folks-I do not think most people really care now about this case at least not around me but you know we have to give the people who outspoken the attention- making a big deal about what one’s person view (whoopi) on this issue. We all have our own views on this issue.

9. Amber on said:

I guess because Cosby is not coming out after the court papers were release to defend himself. She gave him the benefit of the doubt just like alot of people did. This does NOT mean minds wont be change but like she said As of now, it is pointing to guilty. Point to guilty and being guilty is two different things. She is still open to his innocence but it is not looking good right now.

10. I said it. on said:

I’m glad that the white man was able straighten her out, show her what to think and what to say. A Negro is still not free. This must have been a condition to keep her job.

• specialt757 on said:

Like the ole folks used to say ‘you don’t believe it until you hear from the white man”. We don’t even have “free” thoughts.