The 15-year-old boy whose family said he was initially denied a place on a heart transplant waiting list has received a new heart.
Anthony Stokes underwent the five-hour heart transplant surgery Tuesday, August 21st according to family spokesman Mark Bell.
Doctors at the Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta reversed their decision to keep Stokes off the transplant list on Aug. 13 after a media outcry.
He was initially diagnosed with an enlarged heart and had been given only six months to live, but family members alleged doctors told them he couldn’t be put on the transplant list because of his history of “non compliance.”
However, after his mother and family members went to the media with their story, days later the decision was reversed,
The teenager is now resting and in recovery reports CNN.