We don’t normally report on Senator John McCain’s family matters, but today’s an appropriate time to do so.
The Arizona senator’s son, Jack was married over the weekend to Renee Swift. And you may have noticed that Ms. Swift, Now Mrs. McCain, is a person of color.
People reported that the younger McCain, 27, is lieutenant in the Navy and is based in Guam where he’s a helicopter pilot. Swift, 29, is from the Bay Area and is a captain in the Air Force reserve. They met in Guam.
The couple wed in San Francisco at Grace Cathedral and a reception followed at the California Academy of Sciences, according to a rep. The Washington Post reports that the event was attendend by all of the McCain children and even former presidential candidate Mitt Romney showed up at rehearsal dinner Friday night at the Tonga Room of the Fairmont Hotel
Meghan McCain, the groom’s sister, tweeted about the occasion throughout the weekend.
And speaking of social media, it comes as no surprise that folks are chiming in with well wishes for the couple, but of course there are those who still have issues with mixed marriages.
According to Cocoa Fab, on the McCain Facebook page, one commenter, Diann Daily, wrote: “No wonder McCain has crawled into bed with Obama…His son married a black girl! McCain is a RINO and a TRAITOR! Eeeewwwwwwwww…..”
Unfortunately others jumped and did the same thing, basically calling him a traitor. But not everyone who left messages is in the stone age. George Dwyer, who wrote “Did someone seriously post about this dude marrying a black chick like it was a bad thing? What dimension are you living in? Is it possible to be that ignorant in the year 2013?”
Unfortunately the answer is yes. However, that’s not going to stop the happy couple and wish them the best. By the way they plan to honeymoon in Africa and return to Guam.
Our Favorite Celebrity Swirls
1. Tamera and Adam HousleySource:Instagram 1 of 34
2. Alfonso Riberio & Angela UnkrichSource:Twitter 2 of 34
3. Thandie Newton & Ol Parker3 of 34
4. Sharon Leal & Paul Becker4 of 34
5. Eve & Maximillion Cooper5 of 34
6. Evan Ross & Ashlee Simpson6 of 34
7. Zoe Saldana and Marco Perego7 of 34
8. Karyn Parsons & Alexandre Rockwell8 of 34
9. Heather Headley & Brian Musso9 of 34
10. Hank Baskett & Kendra Wilkinson10 of 34
11. Ron Perlman & Opal Stone11 of 34
12. Kimora Lee & Tim Leissner12 of 34
13. Soledad O'Brien & Brad Raymond13 of 34
14. Sidney Poitier & Joanna Shimkus14 of 34
15. Harry Belafonte & Pamela Frank15 of 34
16. Robert DeNiro & Grace Hightower16 of 34
17. Kanye West & Kim Kardashian17 of 34
18. Randy Jackson & Erika Riker18 of 34
19. Gary & Kenya Owen19 of 34
20. Darius Rucker & Beth Leonard20 of 34
21. Chris Ivery & Ellen Pompeo21 of 34
22. Iman & David Bowie22 of 34
23. Chris Noth & Tara Wilson23 of 34
24. Halle Berry & Oliver Martinez24 of 34
25. Ice-T & Coco25 of 34
26. Rick Fox & Eliza Dushku26 of 34
27. Cash Warren & Jessica Alba27 of 34
28. Justin & Keisha Chambers28 of 34
29. Alfre Woodard & Roderick Spencer29 of 34
30. Oluchi Onweagba & Luca Orlandi30 of 34
31. Paul & Crystal Wall31 of 34
32. George Lucas & Mellody Hobson32 of 34
33. Dirk Notwitski and Jessica Olssen.33 of 34
34. David & Cathy Guetta34 of 34