Let’s recap. (SPOILER ALERT AHEAD). By the end of last week’s “Scandal” episode “Molly, You In Danger, Girl” we were totally confused. Huck was shaking in a corner after being stored away at a storage facility, Abby and David were trying to reconcile or something now that David is hanging out at Pope and Associates, Harrison was on his usual gladiator game, Mellie and Fitz had epic battle #215, and Quinn clearly needs some more “How to Be A Badass” training so next time she doesn’t lose Huck when she’s supposed to have his back. Oh and Olivia? Well, she was being handled by the mysterious Jake, who was also spying on her. That whole spying thing was under Olivia’s radar until after a surprise visit to Jake’s apartment. They ended up in bed and it was all good until Olivia found out that Jake wasn’t a Direct TV subscriber – he was an Olivia TV subscriber!
Then, while all the world was wondering if Olivia fell and bumped her head going to Jake’s house in the first place, she literally fell and bumped her head and ended up in the hospital. There she was visited by a heartbroken Fitz, who despite whatever serious Presidential “situation” happened that interrupted his confessional call to Cyrus, flew out of the White House in full panic mode to comfort his injured love, (Picture the American taxpayers ire if they knew a sitting President was taking a motorcade to see his mistress, oh wait, there were only 2 Secret Service agents with him, so cancel the motorcade – maybe he grabbed a cab?) while Jake looks on like “What.da.hell.is.all.this?”
Now after all that happens, at the very end of the episode, ABC notifies us that “Scandal” won’t be back until April 25. WHAAAAAT?!!!!! Shonda, ain’t nobody got time for that! What the Huck with the three-week hiatus at such a crucial moment? Well since we’ve cleared our schedule every Thursday night at 10 p.m. anyway, we now have nothing to do but speculate about what’s next. So here’s our guide to Scandal’s most burning five questions. People, it is only 2 weeks. You’re not going to die. Though how messed up would that be if something happens to you between now and then and you never find out who Albatross really is?
1. WHO DA HELL IS ALBATROSS? Albatross, as you Scandal-lites know is the mole that has leaked confidential info. And tried to have Olivia killed, and a few other things that I can’t remember right now. One thing we do know it wasn’t the late CIA director and Olivia’s new squeeze and Joe Morton know who it is. Cyrus, Prez’s shady chief of staff might be the mole, or might not be but he’s definitely trying to have somebody killed.
2. HOW LONG DOES HUCK HAVE TO SUFFER? Huck has been waterboarded, locked in a storage room in a box and generally been treated like a stepchild and not the technology wiz and security expert he’s supposed to be. When will the man’s sufferings stop? And why do people care so much about a man who’s an acknowledged assassin who really, really like his whisky (wink, wink)?
3. WHY IS MELLIE SO CRAY CRAY? Like Fitz, we wonder if First Lady Mellie started out batshit crazy or did she get there along the way? Is she genuinely in love with Fitz, or in love with being thisclose to the halls of power? And if she started out this crazy, what was her childhood like because so far, although we know Big Jerry did damage to Fitz’ psyche, we have no idea how blue-blood Mellie got this way.
4. WHAT IS HARRISON’S STORY? Our personal favorite Harrison, the sharpest dressing gladiator we’ve ever seen – cause you know, togas are just so out of style these days – has some kind of loyalty to Olivia Pope. But why? We know he’s a lawyer and he was in jail and all, but we don’t know much more. Does he have a secret thing for Olivia? Is she his sister, play cousin or baby mama? We really want to know. Shonda Rhimes has said that yes, Harrison does have a back story but it won’t be told until Season 3. Well, the good news in that is that there will be a Season 3, but dang Shonda, can you throw us a bone before then?
5. WILL FITZ AND OLIVIA EVER RIDE OFF INTO THE SUNSET TOGETHER? Okay, so we figure “Scandal” has a good five-year run, which means there are three seasons left. Figuring that Fitz will win reelection, that means that there’s all this time left for Fitz and Olivia to fuss, fight and well, you know. But could these two ever be happy together? Welllllll, we don’t know. Show creator Shonda Rhimes let Derek and Meredith on “Grey’s Anatomy” be together, although it seems like they’ve been suffering ever since. So do Fitz and Pope have a chance to be together? Yes, but how? Will he scandal-ize the universe divorcing Crazy Mellie and marrying his black mistress? Or will Olivia wake up and run off to the comfortable life in the burbs with Edison? (Hey I must the only “Scandal” viewer who liked the guy.) Only time will tell.