Trayvon Martin, 17, was also unarmed when he was shot and killed in 2012. George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer who said he shot Martin in self-defense, was acquitted.
The nightly protests in Ferguson have been mostly peaceful in recent days, a contrast to images of police in riot gear firing tear gas canisters at angry protesters in the days after the Brown shooting. Tensions briefly flared then subsided late Saturday night and early Sunday.
Niesha Thomas, who attended Peace Fest, said she hopes the event marks “a new start” in which people put “irrelevant, unproductive” disputes behind them.
“This should be a pivotal point where we move forward,” Thomas said.
But that might not be so easy. A grand jury has started considering evidence in the case and some local residents and officials have said they’re concerned that a failure to return an indictment against Wilson could stoke new anger in the community.
Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon reiterated his support Sunday for sticking with St. Louis County prosecutor Bob McCulloch. Brown’s parents and others in the community have expressed concerns that the office would not be impartial because of McCulloch’s ties to law enforcement.
“He was elected overwhelmingly by the people a number of times. He’s been through a lot,” Nixon said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” ”Certainly, with this level of attention, I think everyone will work hard to do their best work.”
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that Nixon met privately later in the day with members of the Missouri Legislative Black Caucus, some of whom said they repeated calls for an indictment of Wilson and the removal of McCulloch from the case. Nixon would not provide specifics about what was discussed.
The federal government also has launched its own investigation into the shooting.
Remembering Mike Brown On His 19th Birthday (May 20, 1996- August 9, 2014)
1. Mike Brown, just a normal 18-year-old on his way to collegeSource:Facebook 1 of 30
2. Mike Brown playing around with a family memberSource:Facebook 2 of 30
3. Mike Brown's mother Lesley McFadden and father, Michael Brown, Sr. at a press conference.Source:Associated Press 3 of 30
4. Lesley McSpadden, Mike Brown's mother and his stepfather, Louis Head, comfort each other after his death.Source:Associated Press 4 of 30
5. Residents of Ferguson, Missouri create a memorial where Mike Brown was killed.Source:Associated Press 5 of 30
6. Clergy and residents gather in Ferguson.Source:Francis family 6 of 30
7. Police in riot gear watch protesters in Ferguson.Source:Associated Press 7 of 30
8. Police and protestors come face to face in Ferguson.Source:Associated Press 8 of 30
9. Riot police on the scene in Ferguson, Missouri.Source:Associated Press 9 of 30
10. Protesters in Ferguson, Missouri.Source:Associated Press 10 of 30
11.11 of 30
12. Peaceful protest in Ferguson, Missouri.12 of 30
13. Howard University students stand in solidarity with Ferguson, Missouri.Source:Instagram 13 of 30
14. National Moment of Silence protest around the country, this one shut down Times SquareSource:Twitter 14 of 30
15. Missouri Highway Patrol captain Ron Johnson changes the police tone in Ferguson, Missouri.Source:Associated Press 15 of 30
16. Milwaukee, Wisconsin protestors stand in solidarity with Ferguson, Missouri.Source:Facebook 16 of 30
17. Out of the mouths of babes.Source:Facebook 17 of 30
18. A candle for peace glows as part of a vigil in St. LouisSource:Twitter 18 of 30
19. Teens in Philadelphia observe the NMOS'14. It's all about LOVE.Source:Bill Chenevert 19 of 30
20. Mike Brown allegedly involved in store confrontation/robbery before his death.Source:Ferguson Police 20 of 30
21. Police stats from Ferguson, Missouri.Source:Mother Jones infographic 21 of 30
22. Protesters vandalize a police vehicle outside of the Ferguson city hall on Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2014, in Ferguson, Mo.Source:AP 22 of 30
23. Police officers confront protesters Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2014, in Ferguson, Mo.Source:AP 23 of 30
24. ferguson_pend1-custom24 of 30
25. Police shoot pepper spray toward protesters in front of the Ferguson Police Department on Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2014, in Ferguson, Mo.Source:AP 25 of 30
26. In this aerial photo,people look at a row of charred cars at a used car dealership, Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2014, in Dellwood, Mo.Source:AP 26 of 30
27. Citizens protest the Ferguson Decision in Dallas, TX.Source:Instagram 27 of 30
28. Citizens protest the Ferguson Decision in Atlanta, Georgia.Source:Instagram 28 of 30
29. Citizens protest the Ferguson Decision in Boston, Massachusetts.Source:Instagram 29 of 30
30. Citizens protest the Ferguson Decision in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.Source:Instagram 30 of 30