So many mistakes have been made in the name of “keeping the peace.” Such is the case for the school board in Compton, Calif., who reportedly voted to arm campus police officers with AR-15 rifles (pictured). And so, as students begin their school year this week, they can look forward to the prospect of their campus police officers going G.I. Joe in drag on any given day. When appearing before the board, Compton Unified Police Chief William Wu said, “This is our objective — save lives, bottom line.”
All I can hear right now is “whoa dere, daddy, daddy.”
Who exactly are they protecting students from with such weaponry?
According to the Los Angeles public radio station KPPC, Wu claims that officers “are woefully underequipped in the event of a terrorist attack or mass shooting, in which shooters increasingly wear body armor, which is not penetrable with standard firearms.”
Riddle me this, Batman: What beef does Hamas have with the students of Compton, California? Not to mention, since when are the “urban schools” known for mass shootings? And how many of these mass shooters are showing up with body armor?
Wu went on to explain, “Handguns you’d be lucky to hit accurately at 25 yards. With a rifle in the hands of a trained person, you can [fire at] 50, 100 yards accurately.”
Take three teaspoons of paranoia, a dollop of crazy talk, and blend it with the tragic trend of treating even civilian institutions, such as public schools, as a war zone and what you have is a recipe that’s perfect for gun manufacturers and nauseating to the rest of us.
However, the police union continues to defend the move, writing:
If we encounter an active mass murderer on campus with a rifle or body armor, our officers may not adequately be prepared to stop that suspect. School Police Officers will undergo a training course, followed by a shooting proficiency test on a firing range and a written exam. The rifles are designed for increased accuracy and use rifled ammunition than can pierce body armor. The safety of our Students, Staff, and Parents are very important to us.
New York Times columnist Ross Douthat refutes such logic, noting that “the evidence that such sprees are sharply increasing is shaky and debatable and the evidence that a more militarized police is necessarily crucial to stopping such killers seems thin as well.” Douthat also made note of recent events in Ferguson, Missouri, writing that “the question raised by the trajectory of events in Ferguson is whether the use of military tactics by ordinary cops early in a protest-driven crisis is the best way to forestall such a breakdown, or whether it actually makes that point of breakdown more likely to arrive.”
The Atlantic’s Conor Friedersdorf commented on the “nationwide trend of militarized police force” adding that this is taking place “in schools with heavily armed city and county police agencies nearby.” I imagine Wu and other defenders of this move could also cite issues with gangs having heavy military in the area, but even in that scenario, why can’t they handle that issue with the armor already provided, or if nothing else, contact SWAT and other agencies in the area if necessary?
What troubles me most about this, though, is that in the last few weeks, we have been provided with horrific reminders that there are plenty members of law enforcement with a blatant disregard for Black life. Moreover, many of these officers refuse to use the other tools on their belt before reaching for their gun, and when they do reach for their guns, they’re shooting to kill as opposed to wound.
Cops, much less ones on public school campuses, don’t need this sort of weaponry. Period.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30