Scottish doctors made a surprising discovery when they found a sex toy that had been inside one of their patients for 10 years.
An unidentified 38-year-old woman went to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary complaining of severe healthy problems including extreme weight loss. STV News reports that she sought out medical help after contracting sepsis and experiencing incontinence.
Upon reviewing an x-ray of her abdominal area, doctors noticed a five-inch foreign object sticking into her bladder from her vagina. According to the Daily Mail, the patient recalled using a sex toy with a partner 10 years ago during a drunken night of passion. She couldn’t remember taking the toy out, however.
Surgeons were able to get the toy of the woman and repair the damage done by the long-forgotten toy. Unfortunately, as a result of having the object inside her for so long, the woman was diagnosed with vesicovaginal fistula; it’s an open channel between the vagina and the bladder or rectum that causes waste (in her case urine) to spill into the vagina. She was also diagnosed with obstructive uropathy, which is a condition where blockage in the bladder forces back into the kidneys.
While this woman’s circumstances are gut-wrenching, it should be a reminder to all that sex toy safety is important. Keeping that in mind, here are three things to remember when bringing a little something extra to bed for play time:
1. Size Matters
Scientific American suggests that while big toys may be fun to play with, but they can do a lot of damage. It might be best for men and women not to get too ambitious because “gargantuan” playthings can “tear delicate skin at the entrance to the vagina or anus, especially when enthusiastically inserted.”
2. Don’t Be Afraid To Call For Help
It’s best to remove a sex toy right after you are done using it. However, should it get lodged in any part of your body (no judgment), you need to call a doctor ASAP-preferably a gynecologist. The same goes for situations where condoms or tampons get lost inside the vagina.
It’s not always a matter of simply yanking the object out. WebMD.com, states,”Removal of foreign objects, especially if large, should be left to a GYN. If needed, removal can involve day surgery or anesthesia.”
3. Clean Up Is Key
Softer (porous) sex toys can often be a breeding ground for bacteria, so DangerousLilly.com asserts, “Cleaning a sex toy properly is very important for your health and safety, as well as the longevity of your items.”
The blog also argues that partners should also be careful about what kind of toys they share. “You should only ever share sex toys that can be sanitized OR if not, sex toys that are covered in a condom” the author writes. “Non-porous sex toys are the only ones that can be safely shared (without the need for a condom barrier). “
Dangerous Lilly also lists a number of methods to clean your toys here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31