Scottish doctors made a surprising discovery when they found a sex toy that had been inside one of their patients for 10 years.
An unidentified 38-year-old woman went to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary complaining of severe healthy problems including extreme weight loss. STV News reports that she sought out medical help after contracting sepsis and experiencing incontinence.
Upon reviewing an x-ray of her abdominal area, doctors noticed a five-inch foreign object sticking into her bladder from her vagina. According to the Daily Mail, the patient recalled using a sex toy with a partner 10 years ago during a drunken night of passion. She couldn’t remember taking the toy out, however.
Surgeons were able to get the toy of the woman and repair the damage done by the long-forgotten toy. Unfortunately, as a result of having the object inside her for so long, the woman was diagnosed with vesicovaginal fistula; it’s an open channel between the vagina and the bladder or rectum that causes waste (in her case urine) to spill into the vagina. She was also diagnosed with obstructive uropathy, which is a condition where blockage in the bladder forces back into the kidneys.
While this woman’s circumstances are gut-wrenching, it should be a reminder to all that sex toy safety is important. Keeping that in mind, here are three things to remember when bringing a little something extra to bed for play time:
1. Size Matters
Scientific American suggests that while big toys may be fun to play with, but they can do a lot of damage. It might be best for men and women not to get too ambitious because “gargantuan” playthings can “tear delicate skin at the entrance to the vagina or anus, especially when enthusiastically inserted.”