Scottish doctors made a surprising discovery when they found a sex toy that had been inside one of their patients for 10 years.
An unidentified 38-year-old woman went to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary complaining of severe healthy problems including extreme weight loss. STV News reports that she sought out medical help after contracting sepsis and experiencing incontinence.
Upon reviewing an x-ray of her abdominal area, doctors noticed a five-inch foreign object sticking into her bladder from her vagina. According to the Daily Mail, the patient recalled using a sex toy with a partner 10 years ago during a drunken night of passion. She couldn’t remember taking the toy out, however.
Surgeons were able to get the toy of the woman and repair the damage done by the long-forgotten toy. Unfortunately, as a result of having the object inside her for so long, the woman was diagnosed with vesicovaginal fistula; it’s an open channel between the vagina and the bladder or rectum that causes waste (in her case urine) to spill into the vagina. She was also diagnosed with obstructive uropathy, which is a condition where blockage in the bladder forces back into the kidneys.
While this woman’s circumstances are gut-wrenching, it should be a reminder to all that sex toy safety is important. Keeping that in mind, here are three things to remember when bringing a little something extra to bed for play time:
1. Size Matters
Scientific American suggests that while big toys may be fun to play with, but they can do a lot of damage. It might be best for men and women not to get too ambitious because “gargantuan” playthings can “tear delicate skin at the entrance to the vagina or anus, especially when enthusiastically inserted.”
2. Don’t Be Afraid To Call For Help
It’s best to remove a sex toy right after you are done using it. However, should it get lodged in any part of your body (no judgment), you need to call a doctor ASAP-preferably a gynecologist. The same goes for situations where condoms or tampons get lost inside the vagina.
It’s not always a matter of simply yanking the object out. WebMD.com, states,”Removal of foreign objects, especially if large, should be left to a GYN. If needed, removal can involve day surgery or anesthesia.”
3. Clean Up Is Key
Softer (porous) sex toys can often be a breeding ground for bacteria, so DangerousLilly.com asserts, “Cleaning a sex toy properly is very important for your health and safety, as well as the longevity of your items.”
The blog also argues that partners should also be careful about what kind of toys they share. “You should only ever share sex toys that can be sanitized OR if not, sex toys that are covered in a condom” the author writes. “Non-porous sex toys are the only ones that can be safely shared (without the need for a condom barrier). “
Dangerous Lilly also lists a number of methods to clean your toys here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25