DETROIT (AP) — Roused from sleep by the sound of pounding in the wee hours, a suburban Detroit man grabbed his shotgun, opened the front door and blasted a young woman in the face.
Is Theodore Wafer guilty of murder? Or did the 55-year-old use deadly force based on a reasonable fear that he was at risk?
Jury selection starts Monday in a trial that will put Wafer’s self-defense claim to a tough test. The 19-year-old woman, Renisha McBride, was drunk but unarmed when she climbed the steps of his Dearborn Heights porch, 3 ½ hours after crashing her car a few blocks away.
Wafer, an airport employee who lives alone, is charged with second-degree murder, manslaughter and use of a gun during a crime. If convicted of the murder charge, he could face up to life in prison, although the actual term would likely be shorter.
Civil rights activists immediately seized on race after the November shooting — Wafer is white and McBride was black — and some likened it to the 2012 killing of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin. But race hasn’t been an issue in court in the months leading to trial.
“If Ms. McBride had stayed at the scene of her car crash, where help was on the way, Mr. Wafer would never have been put in the situation … to use deadly force to protect himself,” defense attorney Cheryl Carpenter said.
She said prosecutors have wrongly portrayed McBride as “docile and meek.”
“In fact she was aggressive. She was violent. She broke part of Mr. Wafer’s house,” said Carpenter, who believes McBride broke Wafer’s screen door before the shooting, based on a defense expert’s opinion.
Prosecutors, however, said Wafer had a better choice if he was afraid: Stay behind his locked doors and call 911.
“Someone who claims lawful self-defense must have an honest and reasonable — not honest or reasonable — belief of imminent death or imminent great bodily harm,” Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said when she filed charges.
McBride’s death capped a night of strange events in Detroit and Dearborn Heights, a suburb that partially borders the city. Around 1 a.m., McBride crashed into a parked car on a Detroit street about half a mile from Wafer’s home in Dearborn Heights. Witnesses said her head was bleeding, likely from hitting the windshield, which was damaged. An ambulance was called, but McBride walked away before it arrived.
It’s not clear what happened to McBride from that time until she arrived at Wafer’s home around 4:30 a.m. They didn’t know each other, and Carpenter said no words were exchanged before the shooting. Prosecutors said she likely saw the glow from Wafer’s television, which was still on, and probably decided to seek help.
An autopsy found McBride’s blood-alcohol level was about 0.22, which is nearly three times above Michigan’s legal limit for driving.
“His testimony is essential. Without it, I don’t think they have much of a case” for self-defense, said Ronald Bretz, a professor at Cooley Law School and former defense lawyer. “If Mr. Wafer does a good, dramatic job of relaying his fear, he has a chance.”
Bretz said the composition of the jury will be important, especially the number of jurors from suburban Detroit.
“Many of the white people in Dearborn Heights feel they are on the edge of the battle line,” he said, referring to high-crime Detroit.
Carpenter wanted jurors to see a map, based on police data, of about 80 police calls related to shots being fired within a 1-mile radius of Wafer’s home in previous months. Judge Dana Hathaway said no, but some testimony about crime in the neighborhood is likely.
Hathaway also barred the defense from using selfies from McBride’s cellphone showing her with alcohol, money, marijuana and what appears to be a gun.
McBride’s aunt, Bernita Spinks, has attended pre-trial hearings, often rocking or shaking her head during disputes about evidence.
“I’m not worrying about anything. God’s got this case,” Spinks said.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.
(Photo Source: AP)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30