Women are generally considered to be the healthiest gender. Again, in general. They tend to eat better, go to the doctor when there’s something wrong, and consistently practice healthier habits.
This said, according to an MSNBC report, 43% of all U.S. counties saw increases in female death rates over a recent 14-year period, while male mortality rose in just 3% of counties.
Scientist are pointing to many reasons for this sudden decline, particularly an increase in smoking among women. However, there are some simple, everyday things that women could also improve upon to help boost their health significantly.
Focus More On Your Food
If you think about it, eating well makes your body work better. When your body works better, you feel better. In fact, a recent study of more than 80,000 people suggested that how much produce you eat can influence your overall happiness, as well as your sense of well-being. Really!
So what’s the formula for eating better without feeling deprived?
Eat more fruits and veggies. Vitamins, nutrients, fiber, water…what more is there to say?
Limit added sugar. Study after study is proving that too much added sugar can be detrimental to your health. The American Heart Association, as well as WHO, recommend that women consume no more than 20 grams of added sugar a day.
Eat proper portions. Super-sizes aren’t helping anybody. Particularly your heart, your organs and your waistline. Read food labels to help educate yourself about what one serving size is, and try, and try, and try again to exercise portion control.
Cook more. Unless you like asking your server to run down ingredient listings each and every time you go out, it’s very important to have at least a handful of healthy recipes that you can make at home. Not only can you better control the ingredients, particularly if you have a health condition, but you can control the calories, sodium and sugar your meal contains.
Monitor your calorie intake. Some people love writing down every single thing they eat. Others use phone apps to help them keep track of their calories. Others guesstimate. Depending on your health goals, it’s never a bad idea to have an idea of how many calories you need to stay healthy, and then monitor your food intake to make sure you’re hitting that goal most days of the week.
Admit that you’re human. You’re going to eat a slice cake at some point in your life. Several slices, in fact. The key to eating well is consistently establishing a healthy balance, eating right most of the time, and forgiving yourself for an occasional indulgence.
What’s the big deal about not sleeping as much as you should? Think of it this way…sleeping is like hitting a great big reset button on your entire body. It’s also the main opportunity your body has to restore itself, heal itself, and recharge. When your body isn’t able to do this, your health can suffer. As can your weight – studies show that people tend to weigh more when they don’t get enough sleep.
So…turn off all those gadgets an hour before bed, engage in a relaxation ritual every night to help prepare yourself for sleep, and try to go to bed and wake up around the same time every single day.
Be More Active
Working out most days of the week is actually only the first step. It’s also important to try and be more active throughout the day – desk job or not. Stand, stretch, take a little walk after your lunch, walk over to a co-workers desk instead of emailing them – all of these are little ways to seriously help your health. The key is to get in some form of movement for two minutes every 20 minutes, if possible.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30