Women are generally considered to be the healthiest gender. Again, in general. They tend to eat better, go to the doctor when there’s something wrong, and consistently practice healthier habits.
This said, according to an MSNBC report, 43% of all U.S. counties saw increases in female death rates over a recent 14-year period, while male mortality rose in just 3% of counties.
Scientist are pointing to many reasons for this sudden decline, particularly an increase in smoking among women. However, there are some simple, everyday things that women could also improve upon to help boost their health significantly.
Focus More On Your Food
If you think about it, eating well makes your body work better. When your body works better, you feel better. In fact, a recent study of more than 80,000 people suggested that how much produce you eat can influence your overall happiness, as well as your sense of well-being. Really!
So what’s the formula for eating better without feeling deprived?
Eat more fruits and veggies. Vitamins, nutrients, fiber, water…what more is there to say?
Limit added sugar. Study after study is proving that too much added sugar can be detrimental to your health. The American Heart Association, as well as WHO, recommend that women consume no more than 20 grams of added sugar a day.
Eat proper portions. Super-sizes aren’t helping anybody. Particularly your heart, your organs and your waistline. Read food labels to help educate yourself about what one serving size is, and try, and try, and try again to exercise portion control.
Cook more. Unless you like asking your server to run down ingredient listings each and every time you go out, it’s very important to have at least a handful of healthy recipes that you can make at home. Not only can you better control the ingredients, particularly if you have a health condition, but you can control the calories, sodium and sugar your meal contains.
Monitor your calorie intake. Some people love writing down every single thing they eat. Others use phone apps to help them keep track of their calories. Others guesstimate. Depending on your health goals, it’s never a bad idea to have an idea of how many calories you need to stay healthy, and then monitor your food intake to make sure you’re hitting that goal most days of the week.
Admit that you’re human. You’re going to eat a slice cake at some point in your life. Several slices, in fact. The key to eating well is consistently establishing a healthy balance, eating right most of the time, and forgiving yourself for an occasional indulgence.
What’s the big deal about not sleeping as much as you should? Think of it this way…sleeping is like hitting a great big reset button on your entire body. It’s also the main opportunity your body has to restore itself, heal itself, and recharge. When your body isn’t able to do this, your health can suffer. As can your weight – studies show that people tend to weigh more when they don’t get enough sleep.
So…turn off all those gadgets an hour before bed, engage in a relaxation ritual every night to help prepare yourself for sleep, and try to go to bed and wake up around the same time every single day.
Be More Active
Working out most days of the week is actually only the first step. It’s also important to try and be more active throughout the day – desk job or not. Stand, stretch, take a little walk after your lunch, walk over to a co-workers desk instead of emailing them – all of these are little ways to seriously help your health. The key is to get in some form of movement for two minutes every 20 minutes, if possible.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31