If the last time you rode a bike was when you were a bite sized beauty and popping wheelies was considered the highlight of your day, then you are missing out sis! Last year I traded my New York city MetroCard in for two wheels and not only have I been able to stash extra cash, but my workout regimen has never been more fun. See why biking to the boardroom is a RAD way to sweat then find how to find the best pair of “hot wheels” for you!
Ride For Your Life
This may go without saying, but beyond the money you’ll save, cycling is great exercise that can easily boost your overall health, physique, and well-being. The daily recommendation for exercise for adults is 30 minutes, so unless you are riding across the street to work or to get your groceries, you can easily meet (if not beat) this number, lady. If you’ve been too busy to workout this is a way to work it into your schedule and help meet those summer goals!
Come On, Get Happy!
Exercise endorphins are potent mood lifters. A single session — as short as 20 minutes — can boost spirits for up to 12 hours. Biking to work can give you a boost to start the day on a positive note and help you decompress on the way home after a hard day.
Pay Car Insurance For What?
More and more people are trading in the high costs of vehicles for commuter bicycles. To make the transition, you’ll want to equip yourself with the best commuter bike and gear you can afford, just as you would a car, truck, or other four-wheeled vehicle. However if you aren’t quite ready to take the plunge and get a set of two wheels for your self, then test the terrain within a bike share program – various major cities nationwide offer this option.
Where Will You Be Popping Wheelies At?
Before you drop some dough on some new hot wheels the first thing you want to consider is where you will be spending most of your time pedaling. Different terrains require different wheels, power, speeds etc. For instance if you will be pumping up many hills daily then I would leave the “fixed gear” bikes at the store and instead opt for either a “mountain bike” or “hybrid (combo of a “road” and a “mountain”) bike.”
To And Fro, How Far Will You Go?
Now that you know more about the terrain, the next thing you are going to want to consider is how far your commute will be day-to-day. “Road” bikes can go super fast, however since the tires are thinner they are also susceptible to flats. But if speed is not your issue and you are down to cruise then a “fixed gear” or “hybrid” bike would suit you just fine.
Biker Babes v. Rookie Riders
“It’s just like riding a bike,” is a popular cliché simply because – once you learn how – biking is easy. However just because a bike looks fancy doesn’t mean it is one size ride all. “Road” bikes are best for experienced riders, while an “electric” bike is perfect for a newbie (less fit) rider – since it is literally motor driven.
UP NEXT: How To Find The Bike For You
1 2Next page »
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25