WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama used the unique power of the nation’s highest office Tuesday to correct a typo.
The error was made in a report used to sentence convicted drug dealer Ceasar Cantu of Katy, Texas, and resulted in 3 1/2 extra years being added to his prison term.
Obama took the extraordinary step of commuting Cantu’s sentence from 15 years to 11 1/2 years. It’s only the 10th time Obama has used his power to cut the sentence of federal inmates.
U.S. District Judge Jackson Kiser, who sits on the bench in Danville, Va., last year dismissed Cantu’s request to reduce his time because it wasn’t filed within the one-year statute of limitations and his lawyer didn’t object at the 2006 sentencing.
The White House said Obama decided to grant clemency because it was the only way to correct the mistake. “Given the circumstances of this case and the manifest injustice of keeping a person in federal prison for an extra three and a half years because of a typographical mistake, the president wanted to act as quickly as possible,” said Obama press secretary Jay Carney. “This is a matter of basic fairness and it reflects the important role of clemency as a fail-safe in our judicial system.”
Obama commuted only one sentence in his first term but last December cut prison time for eight inmates sentenced under old guidelines that treated convictions for crack cocaine offenses harsher than those involving the powder form of the drug. Critics blamed the disparity for longer sentences being handed to black convicts, and Obama changed the sentencing standards for cases beginning in 2010.
Cantu’s commutation came from a typo in the “base offense level” of his presentencing report — a numerical rating calculated by the court under federal sentencing guidelines that takes into consideration the crime’s severity and the defendant’s criminal history. The pre-sentence report correctly listed a level of 34 in one part of the report, but incorrectly listed it at 36 in the portion listing his recommended sentencing range.
“None of us made that connection in seeing the difference,” Cantu’s former attorney, John Weber, said in a telephone interview after Obama’s announcement. “I’m happy that his sentence will be in the appropriate range of what it was supposed to be. Nobody wants mistakes.”
Cantu pleaded guilty to trafficking marijuana and money laundering. Kiser noted at sentencing that although Cantu didn’t have a criminal record, the quality of drugs involved in his case — 3,000 to 10,000 kilograms of marijuana — required that he be sentenced within the recommended guidelines.
Cantu said he didn’t discover the error until six years later when he received a copy of the presentencing report from his family and accused Weber of ineffectively representing him. “By failing to object to this clear error, a manifestly unjust and prejudicial sentence was entered in my case,” Cantu wrote in a motion he personally filed from Louisiana’s Oakdale prison, where he is serving his time.
Kiser rejected Cantu’s request and ruled that he could have reviewed the report as early as the day of his sentencing “if he had exercised due diligence.”
“While I am sympathetic to petitioner’s position, I am not permitted to disregard the law,” Kiser wrote.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
(Photo Source: PR Photos)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31