Two years ago, the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin at the hands of volunteer night watchman George Zimmerman in a Florida suburb shocked the nation. Galvanized by the unfortunate event, supporters rallied in great numbers around the country calling for justice. As was realized at Zimmerman’s trial last July, Martin’s killer would walk free while the family mourned the loss of their son.
Since the tragedy took place, the controversial “Stand Your Ground” law that Zimmerman used in his defense case has reared its head again in other cases that many feel are injustices. Most recently, the trial of Michael Dunn and his killing of Florida teen Jordan Davis served as an ugly reminder of the Martin case by way of the similar and questionable racial implications.
As noted in an investigative story by MSNBC, African-American citizens who lived near where Martin lost his life have been trying to process the happenings of the case. Given the fact that Zimmerman’s verdict last summer didn’t go exactly as hoped made matters worse, and there are many in the area who feel that they’ll never receive fair treatment under the law.
NewsOne traveled to Sanford in 2012, the case still fresh in the minds of many. The passion and pain exhibited by the largely African-American crowd in attendance was matched and perhaps eclipsed by Travyon’s parents, Tracey Martin and Sybrina Fulton. Their bravery in addressing the crowd and graciously greeting supporters spoke volumes about their character and they continue to keep their son’s memory alive to this day.
Ms. Fulton has refused to be silent, using her grief as a powerful starting point for a national debate regarding racial injustice, gun violence, and the Stand Your Ground laws. In fact, this Friday Ms. Fulton will speak at University of Connecticut’s Student Union Ballroom. In a joint statement published within a press release for this event, Ms. Fulton and Mr. Martin showed their support of the Jordan Davis family.
“The killing is yet another reminder that, in Florida, racial profiling and stereotypes may serve as the basis for imaginary fear and the shooting and killing of young teenagers,” Martin’s parents said in a joint statement. “We walk with Jordan in defining his legacy to reflect our hopes by advancing love and tolerance in his memory, and continuing the fight against unjust gun laws.”
Zimmerman has been in the press of late, conducting a series of interviews in both Spanish and American markets discussing how he fears for his life and how he wishes he could return to a place of normalcy. Since his acquittal last year, Zimmerman has had brushes with the law and was accused of domestic violence by his ex-wife and later, his girlfriend.
Zimmerman also began several bizarre public campaigns, such as selling his fledgling artwork for money, and agreeing to enter a now canceled celebrity boxing match. He has maintained the stance that he was defending his life despite the fact he initiated the confrontation and didn’t obey the commands of authorities. Abusing his privilege and the law, Zimmerman’s actions will haunt his every move as many believe it should.
Earlier this month in Miami Gardens, a “peace walk” and gala in honor of what would have been Trayvon’s 19th birthday was held. Actor Jamie Foxx attended the rally, addressing the crowd with a frank message of how young Black persons need to heed the racial implications of gun violence. Foxx openly pledged his support to Mr. Martin and Ms. Fulton, saying that other celebrities in Hollywood are standing with them.
Several people carry anger in their hearts over the case, especially those who feel Zimmerman has made a mockery of the incident by even considering himself a celebrity after the death of Trayvon.
Perhaps the greatest lesson for all is the shining examples of his parents continuing to peacefully uplift their son in spirit and act as a beacon of justice for others like them who lost a loved one far too soon.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31