LOS ANGELES (AP) — Police officers were expected to take the stand after witnesses from around the world testified in several languages about the terror they felt when a black sedan plowed through a crowd last year on the Venice Beach boardwalk, killing a newlywed.
Nancy Martinez, 28, sat in a wheelchair and wore a back brace as she tearfully recounted the rampage through a Spanish interpreter Tuesday. She said the Dodge Avenger slammed into her back, turning a cheerful summer evening into a scene of pain and death.
“It threw me,” Martinez said. “I flew.”
The preliminary hearing for Nathan Campbell, 38, is intended to give the judge enough testimony to decide whether there is enough evidence for Campbell to stand trial on charges of murder, assault and hit-and-run in the Aug. 3 tragedy. He has pleaded not guilty.
It’s not clear when the hearing will conclude and the judge will make decision.
Most witnesses in the hearing so far said they had not been able to see the driver, but Kevin Salveson identified Campbell as the man behind the wheel.
“I saw part of his face and he was smiling,” Salveson said Tuesday. “I saw that he didn’t have any remorse — smiling like he enjoyed what he had done.”
Public defender Philip Dube noted that the defendant has no teeth, suggesting it was unlikely he was smiling.
Prosecutors contend that Campbell, a transient from Colorado, intentionally drove onto a sidewalk to bypass barrier posts and targeted vendor booths and pedestrians at the tourist spot, plowing into them at speeds of up to 35 mph.
Killed was Alice Gruppioni, 32, from Bologna, Italy, who was on her honeymoon.
Both sides agreed to a stipulation Tuesday detailing the injuries that killed Gruppioni. The coroner’s report entered in evidence showed that she had blunt force trauma to the head and neck, and multiple skull fractures.
Sixteen others were injured.
Dube has said Campbell was “profoundly depressed” after the incident and he did not intentionally try to hit anybody. Dube has called it a horrible accident.
John Drolette of Fresno said he was in an upstairs motel room overlooking the boardwalk when he heard a car engine revving, then saw the driver crash into an automatic teller machine and knock over several vendors’ tents.
The motorist struck a woman and kept going with her on the car’s hood until she finally was flung off, Drolette said.
Mustafa Balci said he and his wife were inside their tent when the car plowed into both of them.
“I thought, ‘It’s going to stop.’ But it didn’t,” he said.
(AP Photo: The preliminary hearing for Nathan Campbell (shown), 38, is intended to give the judge enough testimony to decide whether there is enough evidence for Campbell to stand trial on charges of murder.)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31