Myasia, a 13-year-old girl, was ordered by her aunt and guardian to stand outside in the Akron, Ohio, bitter cold and hold a sign that criticized the fact that she failed to walk away from a school fight that ended in a three-day suspension, reports WKYC.
Instead of choosing to not engage in a school fight, Myasia reportedly decided to battle another student even after her aunt and guardian, Sonia Davis, warned her to turn the other cheek. According to Davis, Myasia has been disciplined repeatedly before, such as the confiscation of her cell phone, iPad, and MP3 player, but these punishments have had no effect on her behavior.
So Davis thought that embarrassing the seventh grader would probably make a dent in her hard demeanor.
Davis reportedly watched her niece from her car as she held up the sign in the cold amid honks from cars, snickers, and sarcastic comments from passersby. Periodically, Davis gave Myasia warm-up breaks.
So what did the controversial sign read:
They [people in Jesus’ time] talked about Jesus Christ. So what do I care what a person have [sic] to say about me. Now I’m standing outside holding this sign instead of being in school getting my education when I could have walked away! Because it’s Jesus who died for me!
Did Davis’ lesson of walking away from a heated confrontation make an impact on Myasia?
According to Myasia, the entire lesson was “stupid,” and when asked by WKYC how she felt about carrying the sign for all to see, the tween responded, “A girl rode by in her car and she was laughing at me.”
Watch video of the punishment.
But are shaming tactics effective in disciplining children?
WKYC spoke to Dr. Aaron Ellington, an adolescent psychologist, who feels that shaming punishments run the risk of negatively affecting the bond between parent and child, “What I’m concerned about is, now you might have to deal with resentment that you didn’t have to deal with before.”
Instead, Dr. Ellington believes instituting a more rational consequence for a child’s negative behavior is the route to go, telling WKYC, “You’re still just trying to pour on the punishment to try to get this teen to comply, instead of saying, ‘Let’s look at it this way: You may not have the skills it takes to walk away, but you need to learn the skills to walk away, and we’re going to teach you the skills.’”
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading Teen Forced To Hold Jesus Sign In Cold For Not Walking Away From School Fight