Myasia, a 13-year-old girl, was ordered by her aunt and guardian to stand outside in the Akron, Ohio, bitter cold and hold a sign that criticized the fact that she failed to walk away from a school fight that ended in a three-day suspension, reports WKYC.
Instead of choosing to not engage in a school fight, Myasia reportedly decided to battle another student even after her aunt and guardian, Sonia Davis, warned her to turn the other cheek. According to Davis, Myasia has been disciplined repeatedly before, such as the confiscation of her cell phone, iPad, and MP3 player, but these punishments have had no effect on her behavior.
So Davis thought that embarrassing the seventh grader would probably make a dent in her hard demeanor.
Davis reportedly watched her niece from her car as she held up the sign in the cold amid honks from cars, snickers, and sarcastic comments from passersby. Periodically, Davis gave Myasia warm-up breaks.
So what did the controversial sign read:
They [people in Jesus’ time] talked about Jesus Christ. So what do I care what a person have [sic] to say about me. Now I’m standing outside holding this sign instead of being in school getting my education when I could have walked away! Because it’s Jesus who died for me!
Did Davis’ lesson of walking away from a heated confrontation make an impact on Myasia?
According to Myasia, the entire lesson was “stupid,” and when asked by WKYC how she felt about carrying the sign for all to see, the tween responded, “A girl rode by in her car and she was laughing at me.”
Watch video of the punishment.
But are shaming tactics effective in disciplining children?
WKYC spoke to Dr. Aaron Ellington, an adolescent psychologist, who feels that shaming punishments run the risk of negatively affecting the bond between parent and child, “What I’m concerned about is, now you might have to deal with resentment that you didn’t have to deal with before.”
Instead, Dr. Ellington believes instituting a more rational consequence for a child’s negative behavior is the route to go, telling WKYC, “You’re still just trying to pour on the punishment to try to get this teen to comply, instead of saying, ‘Let’s look at it this way: You may not have the skills it takes to walk away, but you need to learn the skills to walk away, and we’re going to teach you the skills.’”
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25
Continue reading Teen Forced To Hold Jesus Sign In Cold For Not Walking Away From School Fight