One aggressive citizen is fighting back against the “Knockout” game.
And there could be more.
Is street justice the answer to a violent game where some black teenagers identify an unsuspecting victim and deliver a cold-hearted sucker punch that is so forceful, it renders the person unconscious?
Here’s one story about the consequences teens face when playing “Knockout.”
A black teenager from Lansing, Michigan who assaulted a man during the game of “Knockout” was shot twice when the intended victim decided to defended himself.
Marvell Weaver, 17, was playing “Knockout” and attempted to attack his victim with a stun gun before presumably hitting him. But the victim surprised Weaver because he was carrying a legally concealed pistol and he shot Weaver twice.
The victim, a 28-year-old father, said he noticed a vehicle driving through the streets but didn’t think much about it.
“I saw the van circle twice, and the second time three kids came out,” the victim, who chose to remain anonymous, told reporters. “I didn’t suspect anything. I hadn’t any enemies, or any reason to believe they would be looking to do anything to me.”
The victim said Weaver hopped out of the van, approached him, and stuck a stun gun into the victim’s side. But when the stun gun misfired, Weaver turned to run away.
That’s when the victim pulled out his pistol and shot Weaver twice in the butt. The victim was not looking for trouble, but he was prepared for it.
“It happened so fast I wasn’t sure,” said the victim, who was waiting for his 6-year-old daughter to get dropped off from school at a bus stop.
“I just know something was shoved into my side,” the victim said. “I wasn’t sure if it was a knife, if it was anything.”
Will Weaver’s shooting in Michigan deter other black teenagers across the country who play “Knockout?” And is it wise for citizens to fight back against teenagers who are using unsuspecting residents as human punching bags?
Weaver, who said he had played “Knockout” about seven times before, apologized to the victim after he was shot.
“I’m sorry, please don’t kill me,” Weaver said. “I don’t know why I did that. I’m high, you know. I just wanna go home.”
Weaver, who was arrested and is now in jail, told reporters that he is remorseful.
“It was just a lesson learned,” Weaver sad. “I wish I hadn’t played the game at all.”
But Lansing police said Weaver’s story should serve as warning to others who play the “Knockout” game.
“There’s a price to pay if they wind up doing it,” Lansing Police spokesman Robert Merritt said.
The intended victim in Michigan was not charged with a crime because he was carrying a legal handgun. But it would behoove citizens who are thinking about arming themselves to ask their local law enforcement officials about gun laws in their cities.
Not every citizen will want to carry a gun. So should more Americans arm themselves with mace, or take a self-defense class, to defend themselves against “Knockout?
Meanwhile, Rev. Al Sharpton rightfully condemned “Knockout” attacks by some black teens.
“This kind of behavior is deplorable and must be condemned by all us,” Sharpton said last weekend. “We would not be silent if it was the other way around. We cannot be silent or in any way reluctant to confront it when it is coming from our own community.”
“Kids are randomly knocking out people [from] another race — some specifically going at Jewish people,” he added. “This kind of insane thuggery — there is nothing cute about that. There is no game play about knocking somebody out, and it is not a game. It is an assault and is bias, and it is wrong.”
What do you think?
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31