One aggressive citizen is fighting back against the “Knockout” game.
And there could be more.
Is street justice the answer to a violent game where some black teenagers identify an unsuspecting victim and deliver a cold-hearted sucker punch that is so forceful, it renders the person unconscious?
Here’s one story about the consequences teens face when playing “Knockout.”
A black teenager from Lansing, Michigan who assaulted a man during the game of “Knockout” was shot twice when the intended victim decided to defended himself.
Marvell Weaver, 17, was playing “Knockout” and attempted to attack his victim with a stun gun before presumably hitting him. But the victim surprised Weaver because he was carrying a legally concealed pistol and he shot Weaver twice.
The victim, a 28-year-old father, said he noticed a vehicle driving through the streets but didn’t think much about it.
“I saw the van circle twice, and the second time three kids came out,” the victim, who chose to remain anonymous, told reporters. “I didn’t suspect anything. I hadn’t any enemies, or any reason to believe they would be looking to do anything to me.”
The victim said Weaver hopped out of the van, approached him, and stuck a stun gun into the victim’s side. But when the stun gun misfired, Weaver turned to run away.
That’s when the victim pulled out his pistol and shot Weaver twice in the butt. The victim was not looking for trouble, but he was prepared for it.
“It happened so fast I wasn’t sure,” said the victim, who was waiting for his 6-year-old daughter to get dropped off from school at a bus stop.
“I just know something was shoved into my side,” the victim said. “I wasn’t sure if it was a knife, if it was anything.”
Will Weaver’s shooting in Michigan deter other black teenagers across the country who play “Knockout?” And is it wise for citizens to fight back against teenagers who are using unsuspecting residents as human punching bags?
Weaver, who said he had played “Knockout” about seven times before, apologized to the victim after he was shot.
“I’m sorry, please don’t kill me,” Weaver said. “I don’t know why I did that. I’m high, you know. I just wanna go home.”
Weaver, who was arrested and is now in jail, told reporters that he is remorseful.
“It was just a lesson learned,” Weaver sad. “I wish I hadn’t played the game at all.”
But Lansing police said Weaver’s story should serve as warning to others who play the “Knockout” game.
“There’s a price to pay if they wind up doing it,” Lansing Police spokesman Robert Merritt said.
The intended victim in Michigan was not charged with a crime because he was carrying a legal handgun. But it would behoove citizens who are thinking about arming themselves to ask their local law enforcement officials about gun laws in their cities.
Not every citizen will want to carry a gun. So should more Americans arm themselves with mace, or take a self-defense class, to defend themselves against “Knockout?
Meanwhile, Rev. Al Sharpton rightfully condemned “Knockout” attacks by some black teens.
“This kind of behavior is deplorable and must be condemned by all us,” Sharpton said last weekend. “We would not be silent if it was the other way around. We cannot be silent or in any way reluctant to confront it when it is coming from our own community.”
“Kids are randomly knocking out people [from] another race — some specifically going at Jewish people,” he added. “This kind of insane thuggery — there is nothing cute about that. There is no game play about knocking somebody out, and it is not a game. It is an assault and is bias, and it is wrong.”
What do you think?
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30