Community Heroes: an in-depth series on the lives and impact of people giving back to our global communities.
Base Of Operations: South Bronx
Why she is a Community Hero: As the co-founder and CEO of StartUpBox: SouthBronx, Majora Carter connects communities of color to invest in the growing technology economy as producers of product and content, and not just as consumers.
Majora Carter’s upbringing in the tough urban environs of New York most certainly inspires her work as an urban revitalization strategist and real estate developer. With a long list of awards stemming from her work on green-infrastructure projects, related policies and an emphasis on providing job placement and training, Ms. Carter is living proof that coming from humble beginnings doesn’t mean one has to remain stagnant.
Carter’s organization, StartUpBox.SouthBronx, is, in her words, a “technology, educational and entrepreneurship program.”
She adds, “I wanted to help folks in low-income communities, and low-income communities of color in particular, to understand that they can be producers in the technology economy and not just consumers.”
A proud native of the South Bronx, Carter said of the famed borough that it is known as “the poster child for urban blight” and noting that crime, poverty and unemployment has long plagued the neighborhood. However, Carter combats those harrowing social barriers via her work.
“I like to challenge with real physical projects that this is a place where creativity [and] innovation has always lived, here like Hip-Hop, salsa,” explained Carter. “We have great opportunities to create more of that.”
Carter noted that two-thirds of communities of color have access to the Internet, mostly by way of smart-phones. She hopes to shift the tide of Blacks and Hispanics consuming information by turning them into producers of the technology and content available today.
Carter has seen measurable results in her quest to arm the community she services with the tools and training to compete in today’s fast-moving and globally-expansive technology wave. Her group recently went into a local high school and taught teenage students the basics of coding and entered into a partnership with Nickelodeon and their games division.
The students were part of a pilot program where they tested games for the company as part of its global quality assurance efforts. Carter mentioned that this entry-level job is typically done overseas, and gives the groups she aids via her organization an inside look into the world of software and gaming development.
Carter’s dynamic career is complete with several milestones. At the tail end of the 20th Century, she helped bring environmental awareness to her South Bronx community and helped spur green development. She went on to found Sustainable South Bronx in 2001, serving as its executive director until 2008. Carter also helms the Major Carter Group, which works on a variety of issues including the local economy, and helping citizens get the most out of tax-funded city services.
Keeping with her theme of building from within, Carter’s Twitter tag-line neatly ties all her philosophies into one neat bow: “You don’t have to leave your neighborhood to live better!”
Amen to that.
Learn more about Major Carter here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30