I’m glad the Miami Dolphins suspended guard Richie Incognito, an alleged serial bully who was sending vile, racially-charged text, e-mail and voice mail messages to his bi-racial teammate Jonathan Martin.
But the Dolphins should go one step further: Cut Incognito now. Kick him off the team immediately and send a clear message that racial harassment will not be tolerated in the NFL. He should not be allowed to play professional football again.
According to a CBS Sports report, Incognito referred to Martin as a “half-n—–” and threatened to track down members of Martin’s family and harm them.
Martin, 24, a second-year player from Stanford, left the team last week to sort through some emotional issues after Incognito’s rants were shared with the Dolphins and Martin’s family.
“Hey, wassup, you half (expletive) piece of (expletive),” according to a transcript from Incognito to Martin.
“I saw you on Twitter, you been training 10 weeks. I’ll (expletive) in you (expletive) mouth,” Incognito said to Martin. I’m gonna slap your (expletive) mouth, I’m gonna slap your real mother across the face (laughter). (Expletive) you, you’re still a rookie. I’ll kill you.”
This is sick, lunatic behavior. There is no place in the Dolphins organization –or the NFL — for Incognito or his intolerable brand of racial harassment and locker room bullying.
The Dolphins initially thought Martin was the victim of a team prank, but now we know the warped harassment escalated into something far more serious, more sinister, and more troubling.
Nobody knows for sure when Martin plans to return to the Dolphins. Some players say Martin should take some time to himself while others maintain that Martin, who stands 6-foot-5 and weighs 312 pounds, should toughen up, return to the team, and play football.
Last week, Martin apparently was upset when he sat down at the lunch table and the other players got up to leave. Then it was reported that Incognito had previously pressured Martin into contributing $15,000 for a player trip to Las Vegas that Martin elected not to attend.
“We received notification today from Jonathan’s representation about allegations of player misconduct,” the Dolphins said in a statement. “We are taking these allegations very seriously and plan to review the matter further. We have also reached out to the NFL and asked them to conduct an objective and thorough review. As an organization, we are committed to a culture of team-first accountability and respect for one another.”
One sports analyst with Fox said Martin had been the subject of “persistent bullying and teasing from some teammates that has plagued him since joining Miami as a 2012 second-round draft choice.”
We don’t know what kind of emotional drama Martin is trying to process. We only know that he apparently can’t work through his troubles in the Dolphins locker room. Football is by nature a tough and intense sport and Martin does not need the added pressure of being racially harassed by a fellow teammate.
Meanwhile, Incognito took to Twitter to defend himself.
“@espn shame on you for attaching my name to false speculation,” Incognito wrote in one of the tweets. “I won’t be holding my breathe for an apology.”
I hope Martin can work through his emotional issues and return to the Dolphins soon. Perhaps the young man will feel more comfortable suiting up for football and re-connecting with teammates once he takes a look at Incognito’s empty locker.
What do you think?
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25