I’m glad the Miami Dolphins suspended guard Richie Incognito, an alleged serial bully who was sending vile, racially-charged text, e-mail and voice mail messages to his bi-racial teammate Jonathan Martin.
But the Dolphins should go one step further: Cut Incognito now. Kick him off the team immediately and send a clear message that racial harassment will not be tolerated in the NFL. He should not be allowed to play professional football again.
According to a CBS Sports report, Incognito referred to Martin as a “half-n—–” and threatened to track down members of Martin’s family and harm them.
Martin, 24, a second-year player from Stanford, left the team last week to sort through some emotional issues after Incognito’s rants were shared with the Dolphins and Martin’s family.
“Hey, wassup, you half (expletive) piece of (expletive),” according to a transcript from Incognito to Martin.
“I saw you on Twitter, you been training 10 weeks. I’ll (expletive) in you (expletive) mouth,” Incognito said to Martin. I’m gonna slap your (expletive) mouth, I’m gonna slap your real mother across the face (laughter). (Expletive) you, you’re still a rookie. I’ll kill you.”
This is sick, lunatic behavior. There is no place in the Dolphins organization –or the NFL — for Incognito or his intolerable brand of racial harassment and locker room bullying.
The Dolphins initially thought Martin was the victim of a team prank, but now we know the warped harassment escalated into something far more serious, more sinister, and more troubling.
Nobody knows for sure when Martin plans to return to the Dolphins. Some players say Martin should take some time to himself while others maintain that Martin, who stands 6-foot-5 and weighs 312 pounds, should toughen up, return to the team, and play football.
Last week, Martin apparently was upset when he sat down at the lunch table and the other players got up to leave. Then it was reported that Incognito had previously pressured Martin into contributing $15,000 for a player trip to Las Vegas that Martin elected not to attend.
“We received notification today from Jonathan’s representation about allegations of player misconduct,” the Dolphins said in a statement. “We are taking these allegations very seriously and plan to review the matter further. We have also reached out to the NFL and asked them to conduct an objective and thorough review. As an organization, we are committed to a culture of team-first accountability and respect for one another.”
One sports analyst with Fox said Martin had been the subject of “persistent bullying and teasing from some teammates that has plagued him since joining Miami as a 2012 second-round draft choice.”
We don’t know what kind of emotional drama Martin is trying to process. We only know that he apparently can’t work through his troubles in the Dolphins locker room. Football is by nature a tough and intense sport and Martin does not need the added pressure of being racially harassed by a fellow teammate.
Meanwhile, Incognito took to Twitter to defend himself.
“@espn shame on you for attaching my name to false speculation,” Incognito wrote in one of the tweets. “I won’t be holding my breathe for an apology.”
I hope Martin can work through his emotional issues and return to the Dolphins soon. Perhaps the young man will feel more comfortable suiting up for football and re-connecting with teammates once he takes a look at Incognito’s empty locker.
What do you think?
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30