The spirit of Jah was in the air Monday, as the annual West Indian Day Parade made its way through Brooklyn’s Eastern Parkway.
But even before arriving, you could feel the Caribbean love from people on the Brooklyn-bound A train in South Richmond Hill, a neighborhood known for its mass Guyanese population.
Watch a float from the parade here:
“I guess it’s all in the motion. When you get there, that soca hits and you get that nice feeling, like you’re back home,” said Michelle at the Lefferts Blvd station, proudly wearing her Trinidad & Tobago flag.
“It’s part of our blood; it’s part of our culture. So everybody is always excited to go to [the parade].”
The parade route itself was filled with the usual fanfare: heaping slices of jerk chicken and ox tail on the grill, scantily clad women twerking and, of course, marijuana scents abound.
All of it exciting to a Rasta Man, a vendor selling incense at the parade section near the Brooklyn Museum. “The energy is right,” he said. “And being a Trinidadian in this is something real, real positive and joyous.”
With this being an election year, many politicians overtook the route with floats, something that didn’t sit well with Rasta Man. “What I’m looking forward [to] today is seeing more art,” he added. “More bands, more masquerade, instead of these set[s] of politicians that they have. I don’t want to see them! Enough is enough at some times.”
“It feels awesome coming out to New York, representing,” said Lahana, a Jamaican-American member of The Horizon, a Trinidad-oriented dance group from Boston. “Even though it’s raining out here, its still fun.”
“We[re] all here to love each other,” her friend D Horizons added. “We all here to advance what we believe in: our heritage, our religion. We’re here to have fun.”
“Embrace it,” Horizons encouraged when asked about what she would want non-West Indians to take from the parade. “If you love it, embrace it.” ‘
“It’s always a good time,” said Marcus, a Trinidadian-American standing outside a stoop near Nostrand Avenue. “I come out here, my family’s here, they work with sugar cane. It’s just all about being with family, being around your culture. It’s kinda like being back on the islands.”
“For most of us, it’s just a day to celebrate who we are and what our families fought for us to be here.”
“This [represents] that we [are] the people of happiness,” Rasta Man said on the topic of what the parade means for West Indian-Americans.
He also extended an invite to people of different backgrounds: “Come and get in the culture and be part of it!”
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading West Indian Day Parade Lights Up Brooklyn! [VIDEO]