I believe Tracy Martin.

In an emotional testimony Monday, Martin took the witness stand in the trial of George Zimmerman, the self-proclaimed neighborhood watch captain accused of murdering Martin’s unarmed son, Travyon, on a rainy night in Sanford, Florida last year.

Zimmerman’s attorneys called Martin to the stand after a law enforcement officer testified Monday that Martin told him that while listening to 911 tapes of Zimmerman shooting Trayvon Martin a year ago, Tracy Martin said the voice screaming “help” on the recording was not Trayvon.

But under oath on Monday, Tracy Martin, a grieving father, was firm in his testimony that the cop was mistaken, delivering a blow to the callous defense strategy.

The 911 tape has emerged as a critical piece of evidence in the three-week long trail. Trayon Martin’s mother, Sybrina, and Travyon’s brother, Jahvaris, testified that the screaming voice on the tape was Trayvon. Zimmerman’s mother, Gladys, and several friends of Zimmerman testified that it’s actually Zimmerman screaming for help.

The testimony of the witnesses, called by the defense, could be crucial as Zimmerman’s lawyers try to show that Trayvon, 17, was the aggressor and that Zimmerman shot him in self-defense.

So who will the jury believe? I hope the jury takes into account that Zimmerman’s attorney called Tracy Martin to the stand and forced him to relive the final moments of Travyon’s Martin’s life.

It seemed mean-spirited and pointless.

But Tracy Martin was not shaken by Zimmerman’s attorney, Mark O’Mara, who tried to prove that Martin was lying about what he initially told police.

“As best as I recall, after he played the tape he basically just said, ‘Do you recognize the voice?'” Martin said of the police officer.

“And what was your response?” asked O’Mara.

“My response was that I didn’t tell him, ‘No, that wasn’t Trayvon.’ I think I kind of pushed away from the table and kind of shook my head and said, ‘I can’t tell,” said Martin. He said he has no knowledge of an enhanced version of the call and he didn’t tell anyone he had listened to one.

“After listening to the tape maybe 20 times, I said I knew it was Trayvon’s voice. I didn’t direct that towards any family members,” Martin said. “Matter of fact, I think the family members had started leaving out the room. It was too much for them, they couldn’t take it.”

Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder. He claims he shot Martin in self-defense, but Martin’s family called the killing cold-blooded. Trayvon was unarmed. He was only carrying a bag of Skittles.

On Monday, prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda asked Tracy Martin about his state of mind while listening to the 911 tapes last year.

“Basically what I was listening to, I was listening to my son’s last cry for help. I was listening to his life being taken and I was trying to come to grips with that, that Trayvon was here no more. It was just tough,” said Martin.

“Yes,” said Martin. “I was just trying to figure out… why did the defendant get out of his vehicle and chase my son?” said Martin.

“My world has just been turned upside down,” said Martin.

“I have no doubt in mind that’s his voice,” said Geri Russo, a former co-worker of Zimmerman, echoing testimony of several other defense witnesses.

Later Monday, the Martin family issued a statement saying that Zimmerman, just days after the shooting, told investigators that it was not his voice crying for help on the 911 recording.

But for me, it all comes down to this: One witness has already testified that the voice she heard screaming for help outside her apartment was the voice of a younger man. Trayvon was 17 years old. And then she heard a gunshot – and the screaming stopped.

Tracy Martin said he knows the screams on the 911 tape came from Trayvon. A father knows his son’s voice whether it’s laughter — or screams from distress.

“It’s very difficult to believe that Trayvon isn’t living,” Martin testified Monday. “He was my best friend in life.”

Martin, I believe, was telling jurors the truth.

(Photo: AP)

34 thoughts on “COMMENTARY: Putting Tracy Martin on the Stand Was Mean-Spirited, Pointless

1. Jan and the “doctor” continue to troll. They don’t know about us being brought here to build the country and still being vilified. Ship out the black and brown and try to make it without us.

2. Colider on said:

Its a sad, tragic and emotionally charged case. But sadly, given the evidence or lack there of, for Zimmerman to be convicted it would be a travesty of justice. No one knows for sure if Zimmerman is telling the complete truth, but his broken nose, smashed in back of head, and eye witnesses claiming they saw martin wailing on a helpless Zimmerman created a strong case for self defense.

What people should be angry about is laws that allow people to carry a gun. If he didnt have a gun, Zimmerman could have just played dead or acted knocked out and Trayvon prob would have left him alone. But because he had a gun on him he probably rightfully felt fear Trayvon could have turned his weapon against him.

No gun, Trayvon would have been arrested for assault and no one would have heard of this.

3. Uncle G on said:

Why are all of these white racists posting these anti-Black comments on this blog? Your hateful, racist comments are not going to sway ANY Black people. All you are doing is showing Black people that you are exactly the racist SOBs that we know you to be! Shut your bitch-azzes up!

4. Putting Tracy Martin on the stand was pointless and heartless. Don’t know if it helped or hurt the defenses case but my heart sure goes out to him and the rest of the Martin family. As for Zimmerman, whether he gets convicted in a court of law or not, if he took that CHILD’s life for no reason, GOD will be the ultimate judge… I pray for Peace and Blessings for the Martin family whatever the outcome.

• Rhea on said:

Mmm, does marijuana gives you wings? I don’t know for sure, because I’ve never smoked weed before, but I was under the impression it makes you mellow, not aggressive. Speed, on the other hand, may make you aggressive (as far as I know, again I’ve never tried it), and it appears that Zimmerman was prescribed something like speed.

• JanCorey on said:

Rhea, marijuana does not give any one wings from what I have read about that illegal drug which Trayvon was high on that illegal dope at the time he assaulted Mr. Zimmerman. What Mr. Zimmerman allegedly had in his system is not part of this trial and not relevant. Try, instead Rhea, to just deal only with the facts of this case instead of your convoluted misnomers and pure speculations. Good luck.

• Rhea on said:

Well, see, Jan, that’s where you’re wrong. If Zimmerman had a drug in his system that made him more aggressive, not only is it relevant to rebutting a claim of self-defense (as it can go toward whether it is more likely that he is the primary aggressor), but it is much more relevant than any marijuana that may have been in Trayvon’s system. You yourself have just admitted that marijuana does not give you wings (meaning, it does not make you want to fight). Try, instead, JanCorey, to follow logical patterns and synthesize information, and while you’re at it, learn what a “misnomer” is.

• JanCorey on said:

Rhea, you have proven to be wrong according to the facts of this case, hence, because of your lack of understanding of Facts and the Law, you are far beyond any further response from anyone since you have demonstrated ohh soooo well that you refuse the facts and want to rely upon your misguided-emotions. Take some classes would be my best remedy for you Rhea, you’re clearly out of the loop here on education-of-the-real-facts in this case.

• It irks you that I’m right, and that you know on some level that I’m right, doesn’t it? Then my work here is done. Have a nice night, sweetheart.

• JanCorey on said:

I agree with you Rhea that I am right and you are wrong. Facts do matter! Acquittal is near.

• JanCorey on said:

You have consistently proven to be wrong on each of your posts, how long since you visited your doctors?

• JanCorey on said:

Get ready for the upcoming acquittal Rhea, that will sink the boat on all of your attacks against people like me who are better informed to the facts than you. Stay away from all sharp objects and always let a competent adult know when you plan to be alone.

5. This entire situation is terrible. I have two sons and 5 grandsons! I hope this doesn’t happen to anyone else. I grieve for the family of Trayvon and yes for the family of Zimmerman as well. Even though Zimmerman should have manned up and told what really happened. The lives of the Martins will forever be scarred.

6. Debbie on said:

Sabrina and Tracy are going to be fine. They already know how this racist ass system is. They will be strong for their baby. The judge is white, the prosectors are white, and the defense attornies are white. We pretty much know how to hold out own when we are dealing with courts. I hope they get justice for their son.

• Annuciata on said:

For centuries whites have been abusing and discriminating against minorities. They believe it’s their God given right and white privilege to do so. That’s why there are so many hateful comments from them on this thread. It’s in their nature.

7. Beverly Ward on said:

listen up you fucking ass hole, you white fuckers always doing drugs much harder drugs than marijuana and don’t even go to jail for it. That’s somebody child you talking about. I am sick and tired of your ass positing racial comments on this website. I don’t care what the fuck he did or didn’t do in his life, he had a right to walk down the street without being assassinated by some muck. You damn white people always talking about shit that every teen-ager white or black do when there young. Your whole bull-shit wholes no argument. This young man is dead because of racist assholes like yourself. I which something like this happens to your ass and maybe you can heal it after you feel it stupid motherfucker.

• JanCorey on said:

Your jealousy of others is apparent and your attacks against others who are better-informed than yourself is really quite commendable too. Thank you for reading.

8. Natedogii on said:

You can tell from reading JanCorey that it’s white you suck your way of thinking sucks your racism is showing!

• JanCorey on said:

Maybe yelling because he was having his head beaten against the cement sidewalk and hasn’t yet drawn out his weapon. Totally plausible.

• Rhea on said:

Really? That’s the same thing? Being called as part of the defense of the man who killed your son is the same as being called as a witness to help get justice for your son?

• jhuff on said:

Really !!! GZ is fighting for his life and has EVERY right to call whom ever. The same as when the long island train shooter called victims he shot to the stand. Thats the way the legal system operates
        I don’t know if GZ mudered Tray in cold blood or not thats for the legal system to determine

9. JanCorey on said:

He sure pointed out why Trayvon was such a mess with school suspensions, tattoos, gold teeth, gun slinging, drug usage and other crimes he was proven to be involved in. His dad showed why the loss of Trayvon is actually no loss at all imo. Trayvon was destined for a prison cell, so the reaction he sustained after he attacked Mr. Zimmerman actually helped society as a whole with the availability of one more prison bed for Trayvon’s buds.