India.Arie wants to have a “Songversation” with you. So it’s fitting that that’s the title of her latest recording, out last month. The singer/songwriter, best known for her boundary breaking songs “Video” and “I Am Not My Hair” took a 4-year break, recording another project called “Open Door,” then scratched that and completed “Songversation” in 7 months. Arie says the break was necessary to heal her spirit.
“I’ve been through a lot of personal transformation and spiritual transformation in the last four years. And health stuff,” Arie told the Tom Joyner Morning Show during her Red Velvet Cake studio appearance for In-Studio Jam. “And a lot of it was difficult. When I came through the other side of that, I didn’t have any music to bring with me. [The health issues stemmed from] When you’re out of alignment and you just don’t feel good. I was exhausted all the time because of the way my life was every day. “
Arie shared more of her journey on Oprah’s “Super Soul Sunday” series. She says that this album reflects her healing on songs like “Break My Shell,” inspired by a conversation with Cicely Tyson and “’This Love,” where she shares her commitment to fully being herself.
“Cicely Tyson inspired the song. She told me she wanted me to break my shell and let life touch me and I remembered it, obviously. “Break My Shell” is probably the most important song for me on “Songversation.”
This project, with its Middle Eastern influences, live instrumentation and spiritual themes (“Open Door” was a world music album) is obviously different from most of the rest of the music played on the radio. But so were her biggest hits.
Arie enjoys a respect within the musical community and her fans that was tested when accusations of skin bleaching accompanied her “Cocoa Butter” single release. On the single cover, Arie looks noticeably lighter than in real life. Twitter, of course, went ballistic over it, sending nasty tweets Arie’s way.
“There are some people who still don’t believe me, but then the bottom line question is why did she let it go out like that? I work with a top-notch creative team of women and nobody saw it like that. We didn’t look at it like that. We saw a picture that was luminous and we saw a dress that was metallic and a background that was metallic and skin that looked luminous. It didn’t look light-skinned. I didn’t address it because I thought my reputation would speak for itself and it has it has died down.
A couple of weeks later, we were sitting around having a creative meeting and everyone had the picture up on their computer. And it looked different on each person’s computer, phone and iPad. Some of them didn’t look glowing. It looked like it was light. So some people are seeing it that way, depending on your device. Digitial format is not true to what you see in a photograph.
1 2Next page »
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31