India.Arie wants to have a “Songversation” with you. So it’s fitting that that’s the title of her latest recording, out last month. The singer/songwriter, best known for her boundary breaking songs “Video” and “I Am Not My Hair” took a 4-year break, recording another project called “Open Door,” then scratched that and completed “Songversation” in 7 months. Arie says the break was necessary to heal her spirit.
“I’ve been through a lot of personal transformation and spiritual transformation in the last four years. And health stuff,” Arie told the Tom Joyner Morning Show during her Red Velvet Cake studio appearance for In-Studio Jam. “And a lot of it was difficult. When I came through the other side of that, I didn’t have any music to bring with me. [The health issues stemmed from] When you’re out of alignment and you just don’t feel good. I was exhausted all the time because of the way my life was every day. “
Arie shared more of her journey on Oprah’s “Super Soul Sunday” series. She says that this album reflects her healing on songs like “Break My Shell,” inspired by a conversation with Cicely Tyson and “’This Love,” where she shares her commitment to fully being herself.
“Cicely Tyson inspired the song. She told me she wanted me to break my shell and let life touch me and I remembered it, obviously. “Break My Shell” is probably the most important song for me on “Songversation.”
This project, with its Middle Eastern influences, live instrumentation and spiritual themes (“Open Door” was a world music album) is obviously different from most of the rest of the music played on the radio. But so were her biggest hits.
Arie enjoys a respect within the musical community and her fans that was tested when accusations of skin bleaching accompanied her “Cocoa Butter” single release. On the single cover, Arie looks noticeably lighter than in real life. Twitter, of course, went ballistic over it, sending nasty tweets Arie’s way.
“There are some people who still don’t believe me, but then the bottom line question is why did she let it go out like that? I work with a top-notch creative team of women and nobody saw it like that. We didn’t look at it like that. We saw a picture that was luminous and we saw a dress that was metallic and a background that was metallic and skin that looked luminous. It didn’t look light-skinned. I didn’t address it because I thought my reputation would speak for itself and it has it has died down.
A couple of weeks later, we were sitting around having a creative meeting and everyone had the picture up on their computer. And it looked different on each person’s computer, phone and iPad. Some of them didn’t look glowing. It looked like it was light. So some people are seeing it that way, depending on your device. Digitial format is not true to what you see in a photograph.
1 2Next page »
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30