I love and appreciate my right to privacy as much as any American does. But I also love and appreciate efforts to secure our nation from terrorism.
I’m talking, of course, about the news that the National Security Agency’s need to collect telephone records of millions of U.S. citizens. Republicans are upset, but they aren’t the only ones. A lot of people feel violated and are worried that this is another move toward America becoming a police state. Even Sybil reminded me that when the Bush Administration was accused of spying on Americans, we were irate then and we should be now.
But I have a different take on it. No big surprise there, right?
We’re fighting a brand new kind of terrorism. The enemy may not be a country or even a group. Now as the last few incidents of terror have shown us, our enemy can be anyone, anywhere. So, all bets are off and all is fair—well, almost all.
My point is the world has drastically changed since 9/11 and we’ve had to get used to a lot of things we never thought we’d be able to do. Like strange TSA workers practically getting to second base with me at the airports. That’s not fun at all, but I’ll take it because I know that they’re looking out for the greater good of all of us. I also would think people who love guns would be willing to sacrifice whatever they need to for stricter gun control laws.
I’m one of those people who assumed a long time ago that anything we texted and even emailed was going somewhere that could be retrieved by someone at some point, even after it was deleted. Why in the name of Kwame Kilpatrick is anyone still tweeting, texting or even saying ANYTHING that could be incriminating is a mystery to me. Maybe we all needed a wake up to call like this to realize that we are sharing way too much and now that we know, let’s all dial it back notch.
Just like Verizon and the rest (because you know Verizon isn’t the only one) finally said, I can’t look at any more naked pictures, nasty texts or overhear any more freaky conversations.
If you just HAVE to say something you KNOW you shouldn’t say or do, get in your car and drive to a pay phone. By the time you find one, either you won’t be in the mood any more or you’ll realize that it was just wrong.
I pray we will return to the days when the government will no longer have to take these extra methods to protect us and that we will no longer have to choose any of our liberties over security. But if we have to … I choose security. You?
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25