Andre Young, also known as the hip-hop master producer Dr. Dre, has pledged $35 million of his own money in  a $70 million collaboration with producer and co-founder of Interscope records Jimmy Iovine to begin a program in his and Jimmy Iovine’s name at the University of Southern California.  The Jimmy Iovine and Andre Young Academy for Arts, Technology and the Business of Innovation will launch in the fall of 2014 with 25 students, according to the Los Angeles Times.

But Dr.  Dre’s contribution to the school has come under scrutiny because he has not pledged his money to a black school or historically black college and/or university where that kind of money would completely revive some institutions and make a complete transformation of others.  USC is close to his humble beginnings in Compton, California, where he successfully launched himself into the hip-hop stratosphere through the rap group N.W.A.

Dre told the New York Times:

“I feel like this is the biggest, most exciting and probably the most important thing that I’ve done in my career.”

The program is a dream come true for anyone wanting to pursue a career in any area of production. “The four-year undergraduate program aims to foster entrepreneurship and bridge entertainment, engineering, computer science, fine arts, graphic design, business and leadership training.”

But now something that he feels so passionate about is being tarnished by criticism of his donation to a school that as of fall 2012, black students only made up five percent of its student body.  Walter Kimbrough is  one of the youngest college presidents in the country at Dillard University, and is often referred to as the “Hip Hop President.”

He stopped in his tracks when he saw that Dr. Dre was donating the largest contribution of any African American to any school in the country. Not even Bill and Camille Cosby have given such a significant amount of money to one school.  So why is it that Kimbrough finds it necessary to express his concern?

(Photo: PRPhotos)

90 thoughts on “Dr. Dre Under Fire for Giving $35 Million to USC Instead of Black Colleges

1. There are many great HBCU’s. However they are falling behind the times as they do not offer online degrees and at multiple locations as most other successful schools do. Nowadays education must evolve to meet their potential students where they are to make education more accessible. Until HBCU’s are more accessible to black students, their numbers will continue to fall. Good for you Dre. Its your money.

2. lacrease on said:

He can give his MONEY TO WHO EVER HE WANTS…PEOPLE KILL ME TRYING TO PLANT MANAGE AND SUPERVISE SOMEBODY ELES’S MONEY. IF YOU WANT THAT COLLEGE TO HAVE SOME MONEY GO IN YOUR OWN BANK ACCOUNT AND GIVE IT TO THEM.. AND SINCE/IF YOU CANT AFFORD WHAT HE’S GIVEN TAKE A BACK SEAT AS YOU ALREADY ARE!!!! HE CAN DO WHATEVER HE WANT WITH HIS MONEY!!!

• I’m confused as to why this an issue to whom Dr. Dre decides to give his $$$, whether it be to the black or white community? Why does race/color have to be an issue, especially when something involves a person of color? Leave this man alone, because with his $$$, if he didn’t give anything at all then their would be something to talk about. Instead of talking and/or worrying about what and/or how Dr Dre spends his $$$, are you doing what UR suppose 2B doing with your $$$…i.e., honoring GOD giving HIM your 10% tithe off the top of your earnings. And I pray that Dr Dre pays his tithes too! It’s your thing U can do what U make it do…. IJS

3. Mark on said:

Coodles to Dr. Dre. We do NOT live in a historic ally black country or black world. When you get to heaven…if you get to heaven, God will not be concerned with what you did for black people. I am a child of God and I know that no weapon formed against me shall prosper. Wake up black america. Quit trippin. You go Dr. Dre.

4. Kita on said:

Its his money, and he can do what he wants. Just because he is black don’t mean he has to give it to a black college. I am black and never wanted to go to a black college. Therefore would donate to one neither. People kill me with this color mess get over it. We are in a new day and age. People have freedom to do what they want, and when they want. For those smart ones add up the taxes and fees then you will realize he is not getting all of it. If he said we need to stop depending on the other man then don’t depend on him. Do what you have to for yourself, and stop worrying about what he is doing.

5. We have to be careful what we say and now we have to be careful where we donate our money. What’s wrong with the people in the United States. And to think that United States was once a country that so many others looked and admired.

6. DEFIND THE WORD “DONATE” I THINK IT MEANS “GIVE” NOT TO BLACK OR WHITE, OR YELLOW, OR BROWN…BUT “GIVE” ENOUGH WITH ALL THIS RAISM BULLSHIT…YOU CAN “GIVE” TO WHO EVER YOU CHOSE TO, NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT…

• OMG ,This is BS..This man worked hard for what he has ..I don’t know one College that helps Caucasians,Mexicans,Latinos, Indian,ect..I’m a single Parent and my daughter and I have six months to pay back The Grant she got to go to college.The People of Color have so many opportunities with different Colleges it’s not funny.Yes they had it hard at one time but things are getting easier for them…My daughter is Biracial but do you think she got an offer to The U.N.C. …Nothing is offered to certain races.I don’t Blame no one but our Politicians for that and the white community…If he were white would you feel this way?If you got that money would you even donate?Every one says what they would /will do if they had the money “but when they get the run..The only way we can become one is if we quit worrying about what these celebrities and others that are wealthy do what their $$$”s and quit throwing the race card.Do your homework.These young men came up with nothing dirt poor and want to give to those that are growing up like they did,and try to become something/someone …GET OVER IT

7. Randy P on said:

…nah, what will do miracles is if we as a people take responsibility and raise our children to be respectable adults, and set them up to make their own way, instead of hatin on and depending on people like dry to pay their way. Again, how the hell you gone say what a grown azz man should have done with his money…who you donating to?

8. Rhonda on said:

Stop Making EVERYTHING About Race Then Crying Racism… People Want An Equal Country, Then Let It Equal!! He Donated Money On What He Chose, NOT Based On Race!!

9. blind to race on said:

In the article, I see a man who made something out of his life and then gave back to the community he grew up in. That is what I saw.

Unfortunately, those who are truly racist will only see an article about race.

10. Randy P on said:

Negroes love to try and tell other folks what to do with theirs. We always talk about being equal to others, but yet differentiate when it comes to receiving. Dre do your thing. If you ever became broke, the same negroes complaining won’t be nowhere to be found.

• Yeah and I quess I should have the YES MASSA attitude like a lot of you huh??? IT IS WHAT IT IS! Jim Crow unfortunately still exists with some of us Black People. THE MORE THINGS CHANGE THE MORE THEY STAY THE SAME!!!

11. Patrick Scott on said:

I went to a HBU and have always wondered why we have a problem with supporting our own. Different parts of the country see racial issues differently. Dre can do whatever he wants with his money. I would have hoped he would have thought about some of the institutions that were the only providers of education for Black people back in the day. Even working with other educators in developing same gender charters that seem to have some success in getting our young men thru to the college level. I see other races at least turning their money over once with their own. I just wonder why we can’t.

12. walter on said:

ok HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!

My people can we PLEASE stop looking for handouts. Most of us of color are taught that life isn’t fair so let’s learn from that. This man can decide to give HIS MONEY, THAT HE EARNED – to whomever HE CHOOSES to give it to. Many of those who are complaining have no intentions of, nor have they ever giving anything to these same black colleges. Ever time one of US come across some money, many of us automatically feel that we need to give it back to us. I don’t know HIS reasons why, I’m sure there’s a business connection somewhere along the line being that it was a collaboration effort. For all we know, it may have simply been something that he got put onto [last minute]. He just sold Beats for a large sum so he’s going to need some tax write-offs.

I recall people questioning Cosby for his donations, and those were to Morehouse & Spellman. I recall people questioning Winfrey for building a school in AFRICA and you get no BLACKER THAN THAT. Dayum people stop complaining about everything we do, celebrate the fact that a brother came up and had the ability to donate that sum of money to begin with. Instead of complaining about why Mr. Young gave $35 million to USC, let’s launch an investigation as to why the Los Angeles local Chapter of the NAACP gave a lifetime achievement award (and was about to give another one) to a well known RACIST?

‪#‎innerthoughts‬ ‪#‎eachoneteachone

• Ed Brown on said:

Yes it is his money but this money would have benefited an HBCU even more significantly. What is $35 Million Dollars to USC when they have an endowment of $3.5 Billion Dollars. Come on now. A HBCU would have definitely benefited more. HBCUs desperately need funding so why not donate to them. He earned his money and built his empire on the back of the Black Community so why not give back. Maybe there is some kind of business connection I don’t know. I didn’t question Cosby’s donation because it went to HBCUs. To be honest with you Winfrey could have done something like that here also and brought the brightest young African American minds under the same roof to educate them. it’s just like the government they give foreign aid to other countries but won’t do the right thing at home. I’m proud of his accomplishments but i’m not proud of who he is helping. As for the NAACP Los Angeles Chapter they need to have their branch membership revoked forever. That was more than stupid. I felt like an idiot as a black man when I heard that. It’s all about those dollars.

• sarin nhek on said:

To those of you who think that Mr. Young should only donate to heavily populated African American schools, ask yourself one question. Am I a racist? I think most of you who only want to see your own race rise are no better then a openly racist person. At least they have the guts to say that they’re a racist and not hide behind it by saying they just have a lot of pride in their race. There is such a thing called having too much pride. Besides all that, its his money and its towards education.

13. Jared on said:

At least he donates to a school, he “DIDN’T HAVE” to donate shit. People need to stfu because a majority of you wouldn’t have even done that shit. Damn hypocrites.

• Well he shouldn’t have donated shit then. If the Black Community cannot be improved and empowered then why strengthen the other man’s grip on money and power. I don’t need to stfu because if I had it like that I would have done something for our community. I’m not a hyprocrite but I am not MASSAS LITTLE BOY either!!!

14. John on said:

Sad to see that slave mentality still hard at work. Jews give money and support to other Jews. Latinos give money and support to other Latinos. Asians give money and support to other Asians. Black man get a taste of success and gives millions of dollars to a wealthy white organization that isn’t hurting for money in the first place. This is why blacks come dead last in last in every category.

• Ed Brown on said:

I agree with you totally John. This is why the Black Man is at the bottom of the ladder and continuing to get lower. Dre built his empire on the Black Community. You got stubborn people calling it a handout. Well the rich University of Southern California with an endowment of 3.5 Billion Dollars just got a gift of $35 Million Dollars from Dre. And these excuse specialists are screaming it’s his money. Thats why the Black Race is still spit on and trampled right now today. The more things change the more they stay the same!!!

15. Ed Brown on said:

I’m tired of hearing and seeing that tap dance yes it’s his money he can do what he wants with it excuse. It’s a COPOUT!!! The University of Southern California has an endowment value is 3.5 Billion Dollars and he donates 35 Million Dollars to them. Tell me what is the endowment value of HBCUs such as Spellman, Morehouse, SC State, NC Central, NC A&T, Johnson C. Smith, Virginia Union, Bethune Cookman, Florida A&M, Grambling? That 35 Million he donated to USC could have done miracles for these HBCUs. We say blacks need to be responsible for the improvement of black community instead of depending on the other man, but then we get a brother who could do so much for the black community but he donates outside of the black community SMH! Now Apple is buying his company Beats for 3.2 Billion Dollars. Lets see how much he donates to HBCUs from that. He should be put on BLAST!!! Let him deal with the criticism it won’t matter anyway he’s got too much money to care. No conscience!

16. Ok you said it in the Title Dr. Dre gives His money … So case close it’s not your money or my money Our money it is his so he can do with it what he pleases.Some Folks need to mind yo business.

• Ed Brown on said:

I’m tired of hearing and seeing that tap dance yes it’s his money he can do what he wants with it excuse. It’s a COPOUT!!! The University of Southern California has an endowment value is 3.5 Billion Dollars and he donates 35 Million Dollars to them. Tell me what is the endowment value of HBCUs such as Spellman, Morehouse, SC State, NC Central, NC A&T, Johnson C. Smith, Virginia Union, Bethune Cookman, Florida A&M, Grambling? That 35 Million he donated to USC could have done miracles for these HBCUs. We say blacks need to be responsible for the improvement of black community instead of depending on the other man, but then we get a brother who could do so much for the black community but he donates outside of the black community SMH! Now Apple is buying his company Beats for 3.2 Billion Dollars. Lets see how much he donates to HBCUs from that. He should be put on BLAST!!! He built his fortune on the back of the black community. He could have gave back. Let him deal with the criticism it won’t matter anyway he’s got too much money to care. No conscience!