As a father of a teenage daughter, I was particularly alarmed to learn that a 9-year-old girl was sexually abused during a lunch break in a Harlem school – and the crime went unpunished because the principal never called the police or investigated the allegations.
The girl’s mother told The New York Daily News that her third-grade daughter was sexually assaulted by her fellow classmates on school property and school officials did nothing to stop it.
According to the Daily News, the ringleader described as a “sexual deviant” reached under the victim’s skirt while they were sitting on a rug during reading period.
“She said, ‘Mom, (the assailant) touched me between my legs,’” the girl’s mother recalled in an interview at her lawyer’s office. “Her face was completely red, her eyes were swollen.”
About a month later, in October, another boy exposed himself and rubbed against the girl’s buttocks, the mother and a medical assistant told The Daily News.
The girl’s mother told the newspaper that she approached Charyn Koppelson, the principal of Public School 194, and Koppelson said she was unaware of the incident and didn’t file a report or punish the students.
Either Koppelson is not telling the truth or she’s totally out of touch with serious sex crimes that are occurring in the classrooms of her Harlem school. The victim’s mother said Koppelson casually dismissed her pleas for an investigation.
“She said, ‘He’s just a kid,’ ” the mother recalled. “(The incidents) were never placed in the system at all.”
So why do some of our black educators turn a blind eye to horrific crimes against our young girls? And why do black boys feel it’s normal to sexually abuse our daughters?
Each week, it seems, I’m hearing more reports of black boys raping or sexually abusing young girls.
It has to stop.
It’s the parent’s responsibility to talk to their sons about how to treat women – all women. Teachers can’t be expected to teach boys and raise them, too. Parents must teach black boys that sexually abusing girls is wrong – and I would think parents would drill this notion into the minds of their sons. But some don’t.
Meanwhile, the girl’s mother is planning to sue the New York Education Department for not acting to stop the inappropriate behavior, which happened during the 2009-10 school year.
And here’s something more troubling: According to the Daily News, this wasn’t the first time that Koppelson failed to alert authorities about alarming events.
“Koppelson was disciplined in 2011 for not filing a report when Emergency Medical Services was called for a student,” the Daily News reported.
“She also received a letter of reprimand for failing to notify her supervisors about an arrest in 2008 for driving while intoxicated. The 25-year department veteran was removed from the school in January 2012 and assigned to an administrator rotation pool. She earns $105,975 a year.”
I don’t know why Koppelson failed to report the sexual abuse crime against an innocent 9-year-old girl. I only know that Koppelson did not protect the third-grader by allowing repeated sexual violations in her school and not investigating a mother’s claims.
“He’s just a kid,” Koppelson told the young victim’s mother about the alleged sex offender.
Here’s the problem: Kids sexually abuse girls. It’s a fact. And since Koppelson can’t seem to wrap her mind around that concept, she should be removed as principal of Public School 194.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31