As a father of a teenage daughter, I was particularly alarmed to learn that a 9-year-old girl was sexually abused during a lunch break in a Harlem school – and the crime went unpunished because the principal never called the police or investigated the allegations.
The girl’s mother told The New York Daily News that her third-grade daughter was sexually assaulted by her fellow classmates on school property and school officials did nothing to stop it.
According to the Daily News, the ringleader described as a “sexual deviant” reached under the victim’s skirt while they were sitting on a rug during reading period.
“She said, ‘Mom, (the assailant) touched me between my legs,’” the girl’s mother recalled in an interview at her lawyer’s office. “Her face was completely red, her eyes were swollen.”
About a month later, in October, another boy exposed himself and rubbed against the girl’s buttocks, the mother and a medical assistant told The Daily News.
The girl’s mother told the newspaper that she approached Charyn Koppelson, the principal of Public School 194, and Koppelson said she was unaware of the incident and didn’t file a report or punish the students.
Either Koppelson is not telling the truth or she’s totally out of touch with serious sex crimes that are occurring in the classrooms of her Harlem school. The victim’s mother said Koppelson casually dismissed her pleas for an investigation.
“She said, ‘He’s just a kid,’ ” the mother recalled. “(The incidents) were never placed in the system at all.”
So why do some of our black educators turn a blind eye to horrific crimes against our young girls? And why do black boys feel it’s normal to sexually abuse our daughters?
Each week, it seems, I’m hearing more reports of black boys raping or sexually abusing young girls.
It has to stop.
It’s the parent’s responsibility to talk to their sons about how to treat women – all women. Teachers can’t be expected to teach boys and raise them, too. Parents must teach black boys that sexually abusing girls is wrong – and I would think parents would drill this notion into the minds of their sons. But some don’t.
Meanwhile, the girl’s mother is planning to sue the New York Education Department for not acting to stop the inappropriate behavior, which happened during the 2009-10 school year.
And here’s something more troubling: According to the Daily News, this wasn’t the first time that Koppelson failed to alert authorities about alarming events.
“Koppelson was disciplined in 2011 for not filing a report when Emergency Medical Services was called for a student,” the Daily News reported.
“She also received a letter of reprimand for failing to notify her supervisors about an arrest in 2008 for driving while intoxicated. The 25-year department veteran was removed from the school in January 2012 and assigned to an administrator rotation pool. She earns $105,975 a year.”
I don’t know why Koppelson failed to report the sexual abuse crime against an innocent 9-year-old girl. I only know that Koppelson did not protect the third-grader by allowing repeated sexual violations in her school and not investigating a mother’s claims.
“He’s just a kid,” Koppelson told the young victim’s mother about the alleged sex offender.
Here’s the problem: Kids sexually abuse girls. It’s a fact. And since Koppelson can’t seem to wrap her mind around that concept, she should be removed as principal of Public School 194.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30