LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — The Arkansas Senate voted Wednesday to override Democratic Gov. Mike Beebe‘s veto of legislation that would require voters to show photo identification before casting a ballot.
The Republican-led Senate voted 21-12, along party lines, to override the veto. There was no debate beforehand.
The bill’s sponsor, Republican state Sen. Bryan King, said he expects the House to vote to override the veto on Thursday. Each chamber needs only a simple majority to override a veto in Arkansas.
Beebe vetoed the bill Monday, saying it amounts to “an expensive solution in search of a problem” and would unnecessarily infringe on voters’ rights. Critics say in-person voter fraud is extremely rare and that voter ID laws, which Republicans have pushed for in many states, are really meant to disenfranchise groups that tend to favor Democrats.
King dismissed Beebe’s concerns after Wednesday’s vote.
“It’s unfortunate that his attitude is just a continuation of the attitude by Democrats in Arkansas that voter fraud isn’t happening and they won’t do anything about it,” King, R-Green Forest, told reporters after the vote.
The bill would require the state to provide free photo IDs to voters who don’t have one at an estimated cost of $300,000. It wouldn’t take effect until there is funding for the IDs or until January 2014, whichever occurs last.
Arkansas currently requires poll workers to ask for identification, but voters can still cast ballots if they don’t have one. Among the forms of ID poll workers can ask for are non-photo options, including government checks and utility bills. If a voter doesn’t show identification, poll workers indicate so on the precinct’s voter registration list and the county election board can send the information to prosecutors after the election to investigate possible voter fraud.
Under the new legislation, voters unable to present a photo ID at polling stations would be allowed to cast provisional ballots. Voters would then have until noon on the following Monday to provide ID to county elections officials or sign an affidavit stating they are indigent or have a religious objection to being photographed. Otherwise, their provisional ballots wouldn’t be counted.
Republicans have been pushing for similar laws in other states, although the measures have faced court challenges. Voter ID laws in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania have been blocked.
Arkansas Republicans had pushed for voter ID requirements for years, but the measure failed to reach the governor’s desk under Democratic majorities. In November, Republicans won control of both legislative chambers for the first time in 138 years, and they have been busy advancing their conservative agenda, including passing more restrictive abortion laws and less restrictive gun laws.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas has called the requirement unconstitutional, and its executive director said Wednesday the group was prepared to go to court if it becomes law. Opponents of the measure say it would disenfranchise senior citizens, minorities and the poor.
“I think it sends a terrible message already in a society when we suffer from voter apathy in a very big way,” said Sen. Joyce Elliott, who voted against the override and has compared the measure to poll taxes used to disenfranchise black voters during the Jim Crow era.
The bill would exempt voters who live in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities.
Beebe said Monday he was vetoing the bill because voter fraud hasn’t been shown to be a problem.
“At a time when some argue for the reduction of unnecessary bureaucracy and for reduced government spending, I find it ironic to be presented with a bill that increases government bureaucracy and increases government expenditures, all to address a need that has not been demonstrated,” Beebe wrote in his veto letter. “I cannot approve such an unnecessary measure that would negatively impact one of our most precious rights as citizens.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30