No major headline or call to stop the presses. Excuse my language, but it really does SUCK. But what sucks even more is to sit idly by and do nothing about cancer.
A generation has passed since cancer sucked the life out of my world. January 7, 1993. To borrow from The Temptations: “that day I’ll always remember, yes I will. ‘Cause that was the day my mama died.” Not a day goes by that I don’t think about my mom and dad. One morning my daddy took me to Sunday school, went home and had a massive heart attack while preparing for church. That night he was gone. My mom died eight years after her breast cancer diagnosis. Some days it seems like forever ago. Others, just like yesterday, I think about her “motherisms,” wonder how they would react to things happening in the world today, but more often than not, I just miss them, especially my mom.
But as much as cancer sucks, what sucks even more is to do nothing to stop this awful disease—especially the cancer that so strongly affects my family.
I know that whenever that day comes to meet my mom and dad on the other side of the Pearly Gates (and yes, despite what you may hear on the air, I will make it there), there will be questions. My mother will surely have questions and observations about the way I have lived my life. Why haven’t I gotten married yet? After all, my mom had a permanent seat on the
“Marry-Go-Round.” But one question she won’t have to ask is, what have you done to fight breast cancer?
I love my association with Komen for the Cure as a Circle of Promise Ambassador. It’s my responsibility, one of my purposes in life to participate in fundraising walks, sponsor fundraising runs, share my story, talk, listen and talk some more to women and men of color. As a rule, we don’t get cancer more often, but often it is more virulent. Check out the studies and cases of women affected by Triple Negative Breast Cancer.
If you want to make a difference, there are two things you can do today.
The first is, if you have not already, TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR HEALTH and BE BREAST SELF AWARE.
Secondly, if you want to help Susan G. Komen continue the work they are doing, you can donate to help fund research for Triple Negative Breast Cancer or other national programs for education and outreach for African Americans. Check out the link here.
My fervent prayer is that one day I’ll be a minority as the child of a breast cancer patient/survivor. That a son or daughter won’t sit in a doctor’s office, as I once did, hearing biopsy results, with the words screaming in my head, “MY MOTHER HAS BREAST CANCER! MY MOM HAS CANCER! MY MOM….!” One day, the dates we’ll always remember won’t be the day your mama died, from breast cancer.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31