We have come to the end of Black History Month and for it to symbolize two historically momentous occasions; the 150th and 50th anniversaries of the emancipation proclamation and March on Washington there seemed to be very little media fanfare. And while some of us devote considerable attention to the celebration of our history on a regular basis, this show in particular with the little know black history fact, many of us don’t make it a priority at all.
Carter G. Woodson created Negro History week in 1926, not to box-in when we celebrated our history, but to elevate a period of celebration. The caveat to that was it required us to actually study enough history outside of the celebration to continuously share during it. People complain, and I am one of them, that as a community we consistently celebrate the same 7 or so figures from 2 periods in our infinite history. Slavery and Civil Rights heroes and sheroes who DID make our community and the world better, but even they have been watered down to sound bites, speech quotes, and t-shirts. From the beginning of time to yesterday gives us a brilliant opportunity to talk about our history from civilization development to sports. Lets dive into all of it.
So as we move out of this February, I would ask that we spend the next 11 months doing what Woodson and others did when it WAS NOT black history month. STUDY BLACK HISTORY. And here are a few easy ways to do that in our own homes.
1. Find 1 Black History focused or related site to add to your daily on-line media consumption. Here’s a list of recommended sites – http://www.besthistorysites.net/index.php/american-history/african-american
2. If you have a family, once a month do a “Who Am I” Dinner where each family member does an introduction of a figure in black history and the others have to guess who it is.
3. Once a month when you watch a movie, make it a documentary about ANY aspect of your history
4. Chapter of the month – if a whole boo a month is too much, read a chapter a month, individually, or as a family of a book related to a period or person.
5. Your Family Story – During the next family reunion, holiday, or gathering, charge the kids in the family to use their camera phones to interview the 5 oldest members of the family, and put together your own family story.
6. Become black history as you live out your best life. Remember God blessed you not just to learn history but to make it.
If you do this once a month for the next 11 months, how much more will we each has to offer, share, and celebrate next February? One day we may have studied and shared enough to not need a special Black History Month…. but we are not quite there yet.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30