Have a love question for Dr. Rachel? Text it to “646464” (OHOHOH).
Dr. Rachael Ross is worried about the state of male-female relationships, based in part on a conversation with a teenaged patient who told her, when asked if he had a Valentine, that he liked a girl well enough for sex, but not enough for a relationship because “these girls be on them games.”
The image of Valentine’s Day is that of romance, flowers, candy and true love, but Ross said she feared that is not the growing trend.
“The future of male/female relationships appears to be headed in a terrible direction…it’s on a downward spiral,” Ross said in a recent Facebook post.
Ross is known as a no-holds-barred speaker known who openly discusses relationships, sex, health, abstinence &/comprehensive sex education for teenagers, and HIV/AIDS prevention.
For Valentine’s Day, she is interested in helping to keep romance alive and to show young people there is more to sex than just a hookup.
Ross has said there is so much pressure on men and women to find the perfect gift on Valentine’s Day that they sometimes miss the opportunity to just talk with their partners and understand their emotional and mental needs, as well as their sexual ones.
Valentine’s Day isn’t necessarily all about expensive gifts or romantic getaways. Romance on a budget forces lovers to be more creative: one bar of high-end chocolate rather than a full box of mid-level or cheap candy; a homemade card; a walk in the park or a trip to a special museum exhibit; lunch at a romantic place rather than dinner or a voucher for a household chore or a night of wild pleasure to be redeemed when the partner is in the mood.
“Whether you’re married, dating or stepping out on a loved one, you’re looking for pleasure. There are safe and healthy ways to enjoy your partner – so why not take your relationship to a new level on a day created to celebrate love?” Ross said in a statement about Valentine’s Day a few years ago.
The author of “Down Right, Feel Right. Outercourse For Her & For Him,” has suggested that committed couples take a step outside of their comfort zone to spice up their romantic life. Dating couples may want to push the envelope a bit when it comes to sex.
“Let’s face it,” Ross said, “we’re all so busy that Valentine’s Day, birthday and anniversary gifts end up being rushed and put together at the last minute. It’s not too late to make it right for this year.”
Click here for answers to your relationship questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25