The new NBC show “Deception” has been compared to the soapy ABC hit “Revenge” given its focus on the tragedies of a wealthy New York family. But in this case, two of the show’s leads are African-American. Actress Meagan Good is now the third African-American woman in the last 35 years to head a major TV network drama.
On “Deception” she plays a San Francisco cop named Joanna who goes undercover at the request of her former love interest, FBI agent Will Moreno (Alonso.) He knows she was friends with the now-dead Vivian Bowers, troubled daughter of the Bowers pharmaceutical clan. Joanna’s mother was once the family’s maid and she grew up in their home. Now that Vivian’s dead, who better to find her killer than her former homie turned cop?
Here are five good reasons to check out “Deception:”
1. Meagan Good
The child star you may remember from “Eve’s Bayou” (which also starred “The Marriage Counselor’s Jurnee Smollett) is having a great year thus far. A devout Christian, she married Christian author, film executive and minister Devon Franklin last year. Good is now the third Black woman to front a major network TV show and if this show succeeds, there may be more opportunities for African-American leads.
2. Laz Alonso
The half-Black, half-Cuban Howard grad has worked his way up in the last decade from bit parts to starring roles in movies like “Jumping The Broom.” He was in “Avatar,” although you’d never know it given that he was covered in blue paint most of the time. (or CGI’d, more accurately.) Alonso is appealing in just about everything he’s in, including his stint in the now cancelled A&E series “Breakout Kings.” We’d like to see more of this handsome, single brother and if “Deception” succeeds, it gives us that chance.
3. If you like “Scandal” and “Revenge”
Of course, we’re not saying every show with a Black woman in the lead is the same, but it is nice to see two black women playing powerful roles on two different shows. Both are accomplished women with both Black and white love interests, which are important images to broadcast to the globe in light of so many negative conceptions of Black women. If you like “Revenge,” which is also set among the rich and famous families in the New York area, then you’ll probably also find “Deception” to be a guilty pleasure.
4. It’s not reality TV
We know how people feel about reality TV, but don’t we have enough reality already? Isn’t TV supposed to be about escaping reality, not wallowing in it? “Deception,” is an old-school soap opera about pretty people doing ugly things and we kind of like that. We know you’re not giving up the housewives or the hip-hop stars, but there is an alternative.
The great thing about TV shows these days is that they don’t leave you hanging but for so long. So it’s possible that we’ll find out who killed Vivian Bowers before the season ends. The interesting part about that is what happens with the show then? Well, if you’ve watched other shows of its kind, than you know they just move onto a new mystery. It makes these shows have to stay fresh, which means there’s always something new to keep you interested.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30