The new NBC show “Deception” has been compared to the soapy ABC hit “Revenge” given its focus on the tragedies of a wealthy New York family. But in this case, two of the show’s leads are African-American. Actress Meagan Good is now the third African-American woman in the last 35 years to head a major TV network drama.
On “Deception” she plays a San Francisco cop named Joanna who goes undercover at the request of her former love interest, FBI agent Will Moreno (Alonso.) He knows she was friends with the now-dead Vivian Bowers, troubled daughter of the Bowers pharmaceutical clan. Joanna’s mother was once the family’s maid and she grew up in their home. Now that Vivian’s dead, who better to find her killer than her former homie turned cop?
Here are five good reasons to check out “Deception:”
1. Meagan Good
The child star you may remember from “Eve’s Bayou” (which also starred “The Marriage Counselor’s Jurnee Smollett) is having a great year thus far. A devout Christian, she married Christian author, film executive and minister Devon Franklin last year. Good is now the third Black woman to front a major network TV show and if this show succeeds, there may be more opportunities for African-American leads.
2. Laz Alonso
The half-Black, half-Cuban Howard grad has worked his way up in the last decade from bit parts to starring roles in movies like “Jumping The Broom.” He was in “Avatar,” although you’d never know it given that he was covered in blue paint most of the time. (or CGI’d, more accurately.) Alonso is appealing in just about everything he’s in, including his stint in the now cancelled A&E series “Breakout Kings.” We’d like to see more of this handsome, single brother and if “Deception” succeeds, it gives us that chance.
3. If you like “Scandal” and “Revenge”
Of course, we’re not saying every show with a Black woman in the lead is the same, but it is nice to see two black women playing powerful roles on two different shows. Both are accomplished women with both Black and white love interests, which are important images to broadcast to the globe in light of so many negative conceptions of Black women. If you like “Revenge,” which is also set among the rich and famous families in the New York area, then you’ll probably also find “Deception” to be a guilty pleasure.
4. It’s not reality TV
We know how people feel about reality TV, but don’t we have enough reality already? Isn’t TV supposed to be about escaping reality, not wallowing in it? “Deception,” is an old-school soap opera about pretty people doing ugly things and we kind of like that. We know you’re not giving up the housewives or the hip-hop stars, but there is an alternative.
The great thing about TV shows these days is that they don’t leave you hanging but for so long. So it’s possible that we’ll find out who killed Vivian Bowers before the season ends. The interesting part about that is what happens with the show then? Well, if you’ve watched other shows of its kind, than you know they just move onto a new mystery. It makes these shows have to stay fresh, which means there’s always something new to keep you interested.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31