Good Morning and Happy New Year Family. This New Year has ushered in the 150th Anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation. How amazing as we are on the eve of the 2nd Inauguration of the 1st black President of the United States. But as much as I am in favor of the acknowledgement and celebration of both occasions, my prayer is that we don’t spend the year getting lost in them, vs. convicted by them.
Imagine that 150 years ago, in the midst of civil war that the first wave of men and women, enslaved in American states that were rebelling against the Union were freed. Imagine their thoughts, desires and visions. What can I, we do with this freedom? And from the remedial to the revolutionary they had a vision of what the future would look like; and worked to make it real. In 2013 we honor them most, by not only remembering them, but by solidifying and developing strategy around OUR vision for the NEXT 150 years.
So I want to provide a three-part commentary (this week included) on The Next 150, where do we go and how do we get there. I will not propose a silver bullet, ONE issue that I think is more important or an order to address them. But rather issues I believe should be addressed and ways we can address them.
The first is education and its effect on the economy. Slaves braved death to learn to read and now many of us have more TV’s in our homes than books and wonder why our babies can’t read. What does quality education look like? The ability to matriculate through a pre-primary and secondary system that prepares you for college, trade school, entrepreneurship and/or another future that allows you to make a livable wage hopefully all while following your passion. Are we as a nation in that place, with that kind of education system? NO.
25th in math
14th in reading
17th in science
16th in the world in college attainment
According to a McKinsey report, “Job Creation and America’s Future,” the U.S. needs 21 million new jobs to return to 5% unemployment by 2020:
* More than 60% of all jobs in the future will require some post secondary education.
* Over the next 10 years, half of all jobs will require education beyond high school. To compete globally and fill high paying, high skill jobs, U.S. students will need more than a high school diploma.
What are the policies we need to fight for and the solutions we need to create a culture of educational excellence for our community? Join me this SUNDAY on my weekly show THE INTERSECTION @ www.blis.fm as we dig deep. And then meet me right here next Tuesday as we lay out the direction for education, social movement, economic development and playing the political chess game beyond electing a President.
If we want to celebrate the wins of the last 150 years, lets plan for the victory vision for the next 150. This is the only morning show in the land that wants to put the purpose in the party. It’s the TJMS and that’s my truth.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31