Good Morning and Happy New Year Family. This New Year has ushered in the 150th Anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation. How amazing as we are on the eve of the 2nd Inauguration of the 1st black President of the United States. But as much as I am in favor of the acknowledgement and celebration of both occasions, my prayer is that we don’t spend the year getting lost in them, vs. convicted by them.
Imagine that 150 years ago, in the midst of civil war that the first wave of men and women, enslaved in American states that were rebelling against the Union were freed. Imagine their thoughts, desires and visions. What can I, we do with this freedom? And from the remedial to the revolutionary they had a vision of what the future would look like; and worked to make it real. In 2013 we honor them most, by not only remembering them, but by solidifying and developing strategy around OUR vision for the NEXT 150 years.
So I want to provide a three-part commentary (this week included) on The Next 150, where do we go and how do we get there. I will not propose a silver bullet, ONE issue that I think is more important or an order to address them. But rather issues I believe should be addressed and ways we can address them.
The first is education and its effect on the economy. Slaves braved death to learn to read and now many of us have more TV’s in our homes than books and wonder why our babies can’t read. What does quality education look like? The ability to matriculate through a pre-primary and secondary system that prepares you for college, trade school, entrepreneurship and/or another future that allows you to make a livable wage hopefully all while following your passion. Are we as a nation in that place, with that kind of education system? NO.
25th in math
14th in reading
17th in science
16th in the world in college attainment
According to a McKinsey report, “Job Creation and America’s Future,” the U.S. needs 21 million new jobs to return to 5% unemployment by 2020:
* More than 60% of all jobs in the future will require some post secondary education.
* Over the next 10 years, half of all jobs will require education beyond high school. To compete globally and fill high paying, high skill jobs, U.S. students will need more than a high school diploma.
What are the policies we need to fight for and the solutions we need to create a culture of educational excellence for our community? Join me this SUNDAY on my weekly show THE INTERSECTION @ www.blis.fm as we dig deep. And then meet me right here next Tuesday as we lay out the direction for education, social movement, economic development and playing the political chess game beyond electing a President.
If we want to celebrate the wins of the last 150 years, lets plan for the victory vision for the next 150. This is the only morning show in the land that wants to put the purpose in the party. It’s the TJMS and that’s my truth.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30