Good Morning All. As the country is bombarded with the coverage of the shooting of 26 souls in CT everyone is seeking answers. We are also as a nation trying to figure out what we target as the solution to preventing this from happening again. Gun control is one of many issues, but it is not a silver bullet (pun intended) to the crisis of violence.
Another area amongst the many that need attention is mental illness. But we cannot talk about it within the context of the four tragedies’ that have happened during President Obama’s administration. Because if we do we have already lost. We have saved the discussion about mental illness for the times when people have lost lives. When someone shoots up a movie theater or a mother drowns her own children. But that is only one small face of mental illness.
A report from the World Health Organization noted that mental illness — that is, any mental disorder — accounts for more disability in developed countries than any other group of illnesses, including cancer and heart disease. The CDC reported in a less recent study that 25% of adults in the US REPORTED having a mental illness. What about those who didn’t report? To go further the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration<http://www.samhsa.gov/> released a report in January stating about 11.4 million adult Americans this year have suffered from such severe mental illness that it interfered with day-to-day school, work or family. And if that were not enough nearly 2 million teens, or 8 percent of the adolescent population, experienced a major depressive episode in the past year. Only 60% of people with Mental Illness in the US get treated and of course people of color are diagnosed and treated the least.
We will wear yellow wristbands for men’s cancer, pink anything for breast cancer, walk for the march of dimes, wear a red ribbon for HIV/AIDS, but we only want to talk about mental illness when there is a senseless death. We need to make this issue a part of our daily social and political discourse.
These are our sons and daughters, mothers and fathers, family and friends. They are not struggling with thoughts of killing. They are struggling with strategies for living. Isn’t that worth our attestation? How many of these mass killers could have been helped had we been as aggressive talking about, diagnosing, comprehensively treating and openly loving those with minor to severe mental illness. As important, how many of our family members would be living more productive and emotionally and psychologically whole lives if we made Mental Health the priority it should be?
There isn’t enough time to go deep this morning, so join me on The Intersection this Sunday from 5-7pm with mental health professionals and those managing their mental illness to talk solutions and resources. You can watch at www.blis.fm<http://www.blis.fm>. If we want to win this battle Adam Lanza cant be the face of mental illness. We must be.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31