Good Morning All. As the country is bombarded with the coverage of the shooting of 26 souls in CT everyone is seeking answers. We are also as a nation trying to figure out what we target as the solution to preventing this from happening again. Gun control is one of many issues, but it is not a silver bullet (pun intended) to the crisis of violence.
Another area amongst the many that need attention is mental illness. But we cannot talk about it within the context of the four tragedies’ that have happened during President Obama’s administration. Because if we do we have already lost. We have saved the discussion about mental illness for the times when people have lost lives. When someone shoots up a movie theater or a mother drowns her own children. But that is only one small face of mental illness.
A report from the World Health Organization noted that mental illness — that is, any mental disorder — accounts for more disability in developed countries than any other group of illnesses, including cancer and heart disease. The CDC reported in a less recent study that 25% of adults in the US REPORTED having a mental illness. What about those who didn’t report? To go further the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration<http://www.samhsa.gov/> released a report in January stating about 11.4 million adult Americans this year have suffered from such severe mental illness that it interfered with day-to-day school, work or family. And if that were not enough nearly 2 million teens, or 8 percent of the adolescent population, experienced a major depressive episode in the past year. Only 60% of people with Mental Illness in the US get treated and of course people of color are diagnosed and treated the least.
We will wear yellow wristbands for men’s cancer, pink anything for breast cancer, walk for the march of dimes, wear a red ribbon for HIV/AIDS, but we only want to talk about mental illness when there is a senseless death. We need to make this issue a part of our daily social and political discourse.
These are our sons and daughters, mothers and fathers, family and friends. They are not struggling with thoughts of killing. They are struggling with strategies for living. Isn’t that worth our attestation? How many of these mass killers could have been helped had we been as aggressive talking about, diagnosing, comprehensively treating and openly loving those with minor to severe mental illness. As important, how many of our family members would be living more productive and emotionally and psychologically whole lives if we made Mental Health the priority it should be?
There isn’t enough time to go deep this morning, so join me on The Intersection this Sunday from 5-7pm with mental health professionals and those managing their mental illness to talk solutions and resources. You can watch at www.blis.fm<http://www.blis.fm>. If we want to win this battle Adam Lanza cant be the face of mental illness. We must be.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25