Good Morning All. As the country is bombarded with the coverage of the shooting of 26 souls in CT everyone is seeking answers. We are also as a nation trying to figure out what we target as the solution to preventing this from happening again. Gun control is one of many issues, but it is not a silver bullet (pun intended) to the crisis of violence.
Another area amongst the many that need attention is mental illness. But we cannot talk about it within the context of the four tragedies’ that have happened during President Obama’s administration. Because if we do we have already lost. We have saved the discussion about mental illness for the times when people have lost lives. When someone shoots up a movie theater or a mother drowns her own children. But that is only one small face of mental illness.
A report from the World Health Organization noted that mental illness — that is, any mental disorder — accounts for more disability in developed countries than any other group of illnesses, including cancer and heart disease. The CDC reported in a less recent study that 25% of adults in the US REPORTED having a mental illness. What about those who didn’t report? To go further the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration<http://www.samhsa.gov/> released a report in January stating about 11.4 million adult Americans this year have suffered from such severe mental illness that it interfered with day-to-day school, work or family. And if that were not enough nearly 2 million teens, or 8 percent of the adolescent population, experienced a major depressive episode in the past year. Only 60% of people with Mental Illness in the US get treated and of course people of color are diagnosed and treated the least.
We will wear yellow wristbands for men’s cancer, pink anything for breast cancer, walk for the march of dimes, wear a red ribbon for HIV/AIDS, but we only want to talk about mental illness when there is a senseless death. We need to make this issue a part of our daily social and political discourse.
These are our sons and daughters, mothers and fathers, family and friends. They are not struggling with thoughts of killing. They are struggling with strategies for living. Isn’t that worth our attestation? How many of these mass killers could have been helped had we been as aggressive talking about, diagnosing, comprehensively treating and openly loving those with minor to severe mental illness. As important, how many of our family members would be living more productive and emotionally and psychologically whole lives if we made Mental Health the priority it should be?
There isn’t enough time to go deep this morning, so join me on The Intersection this Sunday from 5-7pm with mental health professionals and those managing their mental illness to talk solutions and resources. You can watch at www.blis.fm<http://www.blis.fm>. If we want to win this battle Adam Lanza cant be the face of mental illness. We must be.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30