Got a question for the doctor? Text it to “646464” (OHOHOH).
Carolle Jean-Murat, a renowned gynecologist, noted healer and shaman writes that for years she repressed the rituals, beliefs and spiritual grounding of the Voodoo tradition with which she was raised.
Eventually, though, Jean-Murat began to incorporate the traditions into her healing practice.
She also spent 25 years writing “Voodoo in My Blood: A Healer’s Journey from Surgeon to Shaman,” a memoir that explains that Voodoo is not the black magic, animal sacrificing, pin-sticking dolls experience that informs the stereotype of Voodoo.
Jean-Murat grew up in Haiti during the 1950s through the repressive reign of “Papa Doc” and “Baby Doc” Duvalier, which divided her family between the educated elite and the practitioners of Voodoo, which was illegal at the time after the Catholic Church was declared Haiti’s official church.
Over time, however, Jean-Murat said, experiences with Voodoo ceremonies stuck with her and she turned to it more and more to help her work and personal life. Voodoo was finally declared legal in 2003.
Jean-Murat settled in San Diego after undergoing training in Haiti, Mexico, Jamaica and post-graduate training in Wisconsin. She quickly developed a reputation as an exceptional ob-gyn, but for years she never shared that whenever a patient entered her office, she could intuitively see the cause of the problem, even before conducting an examination.
She felt uncomfortable trying to make her intuitive powers fit in with Western medicine and eventually quit the traditional practice and created the Dr. Carolle’s Wellness and Retreat Center of San Diego. Her practice has expanded to include female veterans who suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and sexual trauma during their tours of duty.
Jean-Murat also provides free gynecological care to Haitians and to underserved women through Catholic Charities and the St. Vincent de Paul Village, as well as Native-American Health programs.
In 1993, Jean-Murat also founded the Health Through Communications Foundation and its Angels For Haiti Project to provide the undeserved with education and health-care. For details, visit http://www.HealthThroughCommunications.org.
Click here for answers to your “Get Well Wednesday” questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30