Got a question for the doctor? Text it to “646464” (OHOHOH).
Carolle Jean-Murat, a renowned gynecologist, noted healer and shaman writes that for years she repressed the rituals, beliefs and spiritual grounding of the Voodoo tradition with which she was raised.
Eventually, though, Jean-Murat began to incorporate the traditions into her healing practice.
She also spent 25 years writing “Voodoo in My Blood: A Healer’s Journey from Surgeon to Shaman,” a memoir that explains that Voodoo is not the black magic, animal sacrificing, pin-sticking dolls experience that informs the stereotype of Voodoo.
Jean-Murat grew up in Haiti during the 1950s through the repressive reign of “Papa Doc” and “Baby Doc” Duvalier, which divided her family between the educated elite and the practitioners of Voodoo, which was illegal at the time after the Catholic Church was declared Haiti’s official church.
Over time, however, Jean-Murat said, experiences with Voodoo ceremonies stuck with her and she turned to it more and more to help her work and personal life. Voodoo was finally declared legal in 2003.
Jean-Murat settled in San Diego after undergoing training in Haiti, Mexico, Jamaica and post-graduate training in Wisconsin. She quickly developed a reputation as an exceptional ob-gyn, but for years she never shared that whenever a patient entered her office, she could intuitively see the cause of the problem, even before conducting an examination.
She felt uncomfortable trying to make her intuitive powers fit in with Western medicine and eventually quit the traditional practice and created the Dr. Carolle’s Wellness and Retreat Center of San Diego. Her practice has expanded to include female veterans who suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and sexual trauma during their tours of duty.
Jean-Murat also provides free gynecological care to Haitians and to underserved women through Catholic Charities and the St. Vincent de Paul Village, as well as Native-American Health programs.
In 1993, Jean-Murat also founded the Health Through Communications Foundation and its Angels For Haiti Project to provide the undeserved with education and health-care. For details, visit http://www.HealthThroughCommunications.org.
Click here for answers to your “Get Well Wednesday” questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31