Well, the holidays are upon us once more and in 2012, we certainly have a lot to be thankful for.
First and foremost, I am thankful to God for my health and my ability to enjoy another day with my family, my friends, my loved ones, and all of you.
Given the recent presidential election, I’m thankful for the African American community that, despite numerous attempts to suppress the vote in places like my home state of Ohio, once again stepped up and rallied around those timeless and spiritual words, “ain’t gonna let nobody turn us ‘round.”
I am thankful that OWN, Oprah’s network has, after a rough start, righted the ship and established itself as one of the premiere networks on TV. Go Oprah!
I am thankful that Iyanla Vanzant and actress Maia Campbell have gotten together to ensure Maia has the best opportunity to overcome her setbacks and to live a productive life and be a good mother to her daughter.
I am thankful we were all blessed by the lives and contributions of the numerous notable individuals who left us in 2012 including Michael Clarke Duncan, Sherman Hemsley, Emanuel Steward, Chris Lighty, Rodney King, Donna Summer, Al Freeman Jr., Yvette Wilson, Chuck Brown, Tina Marie, Whitney Houston, David Peaston, Don Cornelius, Etta James and many more, may they truly rest in peace.
I am thankful that during this week, 146 years ago, the great Howard University was established.
For all of the families and individuals affected by Hurricane Sandy, I am thankful folks are beginning to put the pieces back together and that a number of relief efforts have been organized to help those still suffering.
I am thankful the police officer in Philadelphia who used excessive force and punched that woman in the face at a recent Puerto Rican Day parade festival was fired and is being charged accordingly.
That said, I’m also thankful that I know better than to disrespect a city bus driver. (they’ve been beating folks down left and right lately)
Given the Big Bird-PBS funding controversy that came up during the presidential campaign, I am sooooo thankful the term ‘Tickle Me Elmo’ didn’t take on new meaning until AFTER the election.
And finally, I am thankful for my TJMS family and the millions of listeners who, over the past four years, have become family to me. I love you guys!
I’ll leave you with this by French novelist Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr:
“Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns… but I am thankful that thorns have roses.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31