A Texas teacher is under fire after she hung a classroom flag upside down after the election.
Harker Heights High School parents said their children came home the day after the election complaining that their history teacher, Sharon Smitherman was so upset about the results that she hung the classroom flag upside down.
“After the pledge of allegiance the teacher asked did they notice anything different about the classroom and the children said ‘no.’ She went on to tell them that the flag is upside down and the reason that the flag is upside down is because our nation is in distress and we are turning into a socialist nation,” said Dwayne Brown, whose daughter is an 11th grader at the school.
Brown asked his daughter “‘Well what do you want to do?’ She said the principal needed to know. So we sat down and we wrote an email and sent it to the principal,” Brown said.
Harker Heights, which is located just outside the Ft. Hood military base, is home to over 2,300 students, most of who are soldiers’ children.
Rhonda Howard, a military veteran who has served three deployments to Iraq, initially heard about the incident from her coworkers and later asked her son about it.
“I asked him ‘Have you heard anything about a teacher and a flag?’ He said, ‘Yes ma’am. That’s Ms. Smitherman. She’s my third period history teacher.’ So I said, ‘Why did she say that she turned the flag upside down like that?’ He said, ‘She said our nation is in distress because of the President,’ Howard said.
She and other outraged parents immediately called administrators, created a petition for disciplinary action and made several attempts to publicize the incident on local news outlets.
“The principal just stated that he would speak to her. But that’s not good enough,” Howard expressed. “And I know some people called the local news and they’re kind of brushing it under the rug.”
Howard believes that Smithersman’s behavior disrespects the close-knit military city especially when some of the students’ have lost a parent in the war.
“If you’ve ever been to Fort Hood, people are very serious about the military. That’s what we are, a military community,” Howard said.
Calls to Harker Heights High School Principal David Manly were not returned. However, Killeen School District did address the issue.
“The incident was investigated and handled appropriately on the campus and we cannot discuss personnel matters,” said district spokesperson Leslie Gilmore.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25