As college students are gearing up for the fall semester, student leaders at an Atlanta HBCU are building momentum for Water Wars Atlanta.
Water Wars Atlanta is a new philanthropic project led by Morehouse students Richard Taylor and Jarrad Lawson aimed to resolve the world water crisis through a large-scale water balloon fight.
Taylor and Lawson were inspired to create the spring semester event after seeing the University of Kentucky’s efforts to break the world record for the largest water balloon fight. In addition to the pure fun of water balloon fighting, Water Wars Atlanta takes a charitable twist.
“The first main objective is to raise awareness about the water crisis…the second initiative is to connect the metro-Atlanta schools and hopefully to join enough connections where we break the world record which is the third goal of the water balloon [fight],” Taylor told BlackAmericaWeb.com
Water Wars Atlanta has teamed up with the Water Project to help build wells in places that are desolate for clean water.
“Nearly a billion people around the world lack access to clean water. Usually it’s the women in these sub-Saharan African countries that collect water. They’ll walk on average of four miles a day and carry about 44 lbs of contaminated water that they know is contaminated. They use that water for drinking, bathing, cleaning the dishes, things of that nature,” Taylor said.
In order to break the world record, Water Wars Atlanta will need to recruit 11,000 participants and have 236,000 water balloons. Each participant will donate $5 to contribute to the project.
“So, you think if we get the world record number that’s $55,000 raised for the water project and it only cost $7,000 to build a well. So we will be building wells and sustaining clean water for many people in these African countries,” Taylor explained.
So far, the team has reached out to students from schools such as Clark Atlanta University, Spelman College, Georgia Tech, Georgia State, and other surrounding universities to participate in the project. The project’s buzz is spreading so quickly that a Harvard basketball player recently tweeted about the project.
Project coordinators are looking forward to making Water Wars Atlanta a yearly event that can inspire other colleges around the country.
“We are looking to hopefully do it again annually and we hope to spread to different cities. So for example, we could have a Water Wars Boston to where the colleges in the Boston area can try to break the world record,” Taylor said. “You know if you think about it if we need 13,000 people to break the world record each $5 donation goes toward the water project then we’ll be doing some good there.”
Taylor said they are currently focused on getting corporate sponsorships and increasing student involvement in this great cause.
“So now it’s time to really get other people involved. We feel like if you tell people about it they might forget it, but when you get people involved they will remember it for a lifetime and we want to make an impact here in Atlanta and sub-Saharan Africa,” Taylor said.
For more information on this project visit WaterWarsAtlanta.com
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30