As college students are gearing up for the fall semester, student leaders at an Atlanta HBCU are building momentum for Water Wars Atlanta.
Water Wars Atlanta is a new philanthropic project led by Morehouse students Richard Taylor and Jarrad Lawson aimed to resolve the world water crisis through a large-scale water balloon fight.
Taylor and Lawson were inspired to create the spring semester event after seeing the University of Kentucky’s efforts to break the world record for the largest water balloon fight. In addition to the pure fun of water balloon fighting, Water Wars Atlanta takes a charitable twist.
“The first main objective is to raise awareness about the water crisis…the second initiative is to connect the metro-Atlanta schools and hopefully to join enough connections where we break the world record which is the third goal of the water balloon [fight],” Taylor told BlackAmericaWeb.com
Water Wars Atlanta has teamed up with the Water Project to help build wells in places that are desolate for clean water.
“Nearly a billion people around the world lack access to clean water. Usually it’s the women in these sub-Saharan African countries that collect water. They’ll walk on average of four miles a day and carry about 44 lbs of contaminated water that they know is contaminated. They use that water for drinking, bathing, cleaning the dishes, things of that nature,” Taylor said.
In order to break the world record, Water Wars Atlanta will need to recruit 11,000 participants and have 236,000 water balloons. Each participant will donate $5 to contribute to the project.
“So, you think if we get the world record number that’s $55,000 raised for the water project and it only cost $7,000 to build a well. So we will be building wells and sustaining clean water for many people in these African countries,” Taylor explained.
So far, the team has reached out to students from schools such as Clark Atlanta University, Spelman College, Georgia Tech, Georgia State, and other surrounding universities to participate in the project. The project’s buzz is spreading so quickly that a Harvard basketball player recently tweeted about the project.
Project coordinators are looking forward to making Water Wars Atlanta a yearly event that can inspire other colleges around the country.
“We are looking to hopefully do it again annually and we hope to spread to different cities. So for example, we could have a Water Wars Boston to where the colleges in the Boston area can try to break the world record,” Taylor said. “You know if you think about it if we need 13,000 people to break the world record each $5 donation goes toward the water project then we’ll be doing some good there.”
Taylor said they are currently focused on getting corporate sponsorships and increasing student involvement in this great cause.
“So now it’s time to really get other people involved. We feel like if you tell people about it they might forget it, but when you get people involved they will remember it for a lifetime and we want to make an impact here in Atlanta and sub-Saharan Africa,” Taylor said.
For more information on this project visit WaterWarsAtlanta.com
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31